Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite threesomes

Unhappy

I now as of a couple days ago have a cool Crosman trio but the third gun is current in transit. I will be late to the party with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    [I]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian

[/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass produc

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Hello John,

I guess it's the common method of sealing the breech on these three particular pistols that makes them seem so closely connected, but as you rightly say, the functionality owes much to Anson. It would seem Anson preferred to design rather than produce anything in great numbers leaving the likes of Westley Richards to profit from his innovation.

Regards
    Brian

Not threesome but these live together in my cabinet :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    Not threesome but these live together in my cabinet :-)

It's clear from your picture the recognised influence Frank Clarke's 7th series Titan had on the development of the Webley Mk1.

Brian

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Another natural threesome in classic vintage air pistols can be found with the Lincoln Jeffries series of "Lincoln" pistols. Admittedly the short barrel and long cylinder versions are rarely encountered, but they were by no means one-offs.

the three stooges?

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Are they Sheridan models A Supergrade, B Sporter, and Silver Streak, Trev?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A bit of a change from air guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Been seeing some Super Grades come to the market this year, $1500 and up. Last one was for $1500 didn’t work and sold by one of the better of the best Airgun mechanics I know.

Last from me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Right on the button Danny! Beats me why the A/B didn't sell well. Old adverts show top of the range Crosmans as near the fifty bucks .Maybe it was the calibre? Wonder how they would have sold in .22?Trev

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Been seeing some Super Grades come to the market this year, $1500 and up. Last one was for $1500 didn’t work and sold by one of the better of the best Airgun mechanics I know.
    We have a secret weapon in GB that can do these standing on one leg

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Right on the button Danny! Beats me why the A/B didn't sell well. Old adverts show top of the range Crosmans as near the fifty bucks .Maybe it was the calibre? Wonder how they would have sold in .22?Trev
    ? Have the DT Fletcher book on Crosman literature, their top of the line Town and Country was $24.95 in 1949 and it lasted one year. The T & C Junior came out about the same time at 14.95, the new at the time CO2 rifles at $19.95. They all had to compete with cheap 22 rimfire rifles. To me Sheridan quickly gave up and basically copied the Benjamin. Such marketing failures lead to very cool collectables. Awesome threesome.
    Last edited by 45flint; 03-01-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Threes ! - some of you are not trying hard enough
    [IMG]DSC01979 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hammerli Cadet evolution

Thumbs up

I don't seem to have three's, It's either pairs or four (Or more!)..

Now don't laff at these!!

Ahh!, Three mk1 Airsporters then three mk2 Airsporters!!

Mk1/2/3 Webleys..

Three Beesas (Two 'Sporters and a Merc Challenger)

Mk3

Ally Webbo pissles.

Long Toms

Yankee wheezers!!

Wobbly Webleys, IJ's secret lust!!

Scorpions..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/