Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite threesomes

Hello John,
    The Webley Whiting in particular would really have been something if it had made it into production.
    Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    When I started this thread I didn't imagine how many superb examples would turn up from members' collections. Not all were threesomes, but we can forgive you for going astray a bit. Great stuff!

I just realised that I had an unusual threesome in my collection that didn't fit into any obvious pattern. The only thing that they have in common is that they were patented by famous British gunmaking companies but never actually made it to the market place. So these are really cheats, not vintage pistols at all, but modern reproductions.
    From top to bottom: Webley Whiting; BSA/Norman; Webley/Frank Clarke

If you built all 3 of those you are truly talented.

Respect
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    If you built all 3 of those you are truly talented.

Respect
    Unfortunately I can't claim credit for the BSA/Norman pistol as that was made by the great MacEvans several years ago (it was one of three), and I was lucky enough to be able to acquire it. In fact it was that pistol that encouraged me to get a lathe and have a go myself. I would say that the BSA is the the most complicated of the three, so I am glad that I didn't have to tackle it.

Unfortunately I can't claim credit for the BSA/Norman pistol as that was made by the great MacEvans several years ago (it was one of three), and I was lucky enough to be able to acquire it. In fact it was that pistol that encouraged me to get a lathe and have a go myself. I would say that the BSA is the the most complicated of the three, so I am glad that I didn't have to tackle it.
    In that case you'll have to make do with very talented indeed

Amazing stuff.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    In that case you'll have to make do with very talented indeed

Amazing stuff.
    Thanks, but it is much more to do with perseverance (and being retired) than talent.

another threesome

Thanks, but it is much more to do with perseverance (and being retired) than talent.
    John...I respectfully disagree...all the perseverance in the world would not produce such wonderful results without a GREAT deal of your talent!

While doing some random photography the other day, I encountered another interesting threesome (at least to me):

Three size/length variations of the VWW "military" air rifle trainers. The model numbers are loosely based on the overall length in centimeters.
    https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...0a6e304890.jpg

Mars 115
    Mars 100
    Mars 86 (Tell 71)
    Last edited by leh22; 19-04-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    WW2 Reparations Evolution Trio

Lovely.
    Very nice to see how the Thunderbolt compares.

I missed this thread when it came around first time but picked it up this evening and was both astonished and delighted to see some of the 'items' on display. There are some wonderful collections out there.

Johnbaz's, in particular, I thought was extensive and consisted of some of the best rifles available. Slightly surprised not to see any FWBs, given how popular they are here.

Given the size of many collections, I am wondering how it is possible to shoot all these rifles/pistols. I suppose the answer is that many are never shot. My collection - which I am building since I discovered this site and have been learning something of the various models and makes and their characteristics - is still in single figures but I am, at least, using the constituents at various ranges and with various pellets and discovering their strengths and weaknesses.

I wonder what the various collectors regard as their favourite rifles/pistols and why?

Abasmajor and Binners, if you read this and you are ever are in these parts - I am not so far from both of you - do drop in and bring some of your favourite items. I have plenty of space here and the warmer weather encourages shooting outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post

Slightly surprised not to see any FWBs, given how popular they are here.
    Is this better?

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Is this better?

Gosh - that makes up for it. Truly impressive and the lead piece was in mint condition too. Out of interest, did you buy it new or second hand? To find one in such pristine condition must be difficult. I bought mine in Jan, after a tip off here that one was available at a London gunsmith. It is not quite as spotless as yours but I am delighted with the performance. In fact, I showed it to the son of a friend of mine, who has an HW97 and he was astonished at its power and accuracy, given it is not so far off 40 years old. It is much lighter than the 97, too. I am not certain that there has been much development in the springer technology since the late '70s to '80s.

I was also a tad envious to see your magnificent three 45s. Three questions, therefore:

1 What do you prefer between the FWBs and the 45s? Difficult question, I know.
    2 How does the .20 fare between the .22 and .177? I recall they were extremely fashionable at one stage, in theory at least.
    3 I still have my .177 45, from new. The most accurate pellets in those days were Silver Jets but production, I gather, has alas ceased. What do you find are the best pellets for the .177 45? I am presently using Accupells but they are not as accurate as the Silver Jets.

As an after-note, I also saw you had removed the rear sites but had kept in place the foresights on the FWBs. I also noticed an interesting mount for the scope on the lead rifle.
    Last edited by andrewM; 17-04-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: after-note

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Gosh - that makes up for it. Truly impressive and the lead piece was in mint condition too. Out of interest, did you buy it new or second hand? To find one in such pristine condition must be difficult. I bought mine in Jan, after a tip off here that one was available at a London gunsmith. It is not quite as spotless as yours but I am delighted with the performance. In fact, I showed it to the son of a friend of mine, who has an HW97 and he was astonished at its power and accuracy, given it is not so far off 40 years old. It is much lighter than the 97, too. I am not certain that there has been much development in the springer technology since the late '70s to '80s.

I was also a tad envious to see your magnificent three 45s. Three questions, therefore:

1 What do you prefer between the FWBs and the 45s? Difficult question, I know.
    2 How does the .20 fare between the .22 and .177? I recall they were extremely fashionable at one stage, in theory at least.
    3 I still have my .177 45, from new. The most accurate pellets in those days were Silver Jets but production, I gather, has alas ceased. What do you find are the best pellets for the .177 45? I am presently using Accupells but they are not as accurate as the Silver Jets.

As an after-note, I also saw you had removed the rear sites but had kept in place the foresights on the FWBs. I also noticed an interesting mount for the scope on the lead rifle.

The top FWB Sport was produced by Beeman and presented to one of the two owners of Manchester Air Guns who sold it (and regretted it. ) for services rendered - the selling of Beeman products through their shop.

1) The FWB Sport.
    2) .20 is good IF you can find the right pellet as choice is restricted. (Super Field in this case.)
    3) Exacts.

The lower to (124 & 127) both have Maccari kits fitted and Apel o/p mounts and Tasco 615FM scopes. .

The mounts for the Beeman are Apel q.d. type which swing off and on and only require a small amount of adjustment to be back on zero (1/4" @ 30yds.)

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    These are very cool, wonder what the cost of producing one of these today would be?

About £900 may buy you a replica 3rd series....

And the 'BIG CHIEF'

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Lovely.
    Very nice to see how the Thunderbolt compares.
    https://imgur.com/0qw8POv

Favorite Vintage 3 from 3 Countries: Germany, Britain, America

Last edited by 45flint; 18-04-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

The top FWB Sport was produced by Beeman and presented to one of the two owners of Manchester Air Guns who sold it (and regretted it. ) for services rendered - the selling of Beeman products through their shop.

1) The FWB Sport.
    2) .20 is good IF you can find the right pellet as choice is restricted. (Super Field in this case.)
    3) Exacts.

The lower to (124 & 127) both have Maccari kits fitted and Apel o/p mounts and Tasco 615FM scopes. .

The mounts for the Beeman are Apel q.d. type which swing off and on and only require a small amount of adjustment to be back on zero (1/4" @ 30yds.)

HTH
    Ian

Thanks for that, Ian.

When you say 'produced', I presume you meant acquired or did Beeman manufacture the rifle under licence for FWB? I wonder why they did not present one of their own rifles instead! What a magnificent specimen it is.

Any type of Exacts for your .177 45? I did a quick search and found numerous varieties under JSB Exacts and am rather keen to settle on one particular type, without trying numerous. With .22, I find that if one variety does not work well, it probably will with another rifle but, for .177, I only have the Original 45.

I did not understand your point about adjustment to the mounts returning them to zero. I can understand the zeroing in of the scope but not the mounts; I am of course on something of a learning curve on this site so have probably missed something!

Best
    A