Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Favourite threesomes

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks for that, Ian.

When you say 'produced', I presume you meant acquired or did Beeman manufacture the rifle under licence for FWB? I wonder why they did not present one of their own rifles instead! What a magnificent specimen it is.

Any type of Exacts for your .177 45? I did a quick search and found numerous varieties under JSB Exacts and am rather keen to settle on one particular type, without trying numerous. With .22, I find that if one variety does not work well, it probably will with another rifle but, for .177, I only have the Original 45.

I did not understand your point about adjustment to the mounts returning them to zero. I can understand the zeroing in of the scope but not the mounts; I am of course on something of a learning curve on this site so have probably missed something!

Best
    A
    Beeman, according to his catalogues that M.A.G. provided, supplied after market parts to modify the standard FWB Sport plus other rifles (HW35/80 etc.). The rifle I own has a Beeman walnut stock, back sight plate etc. .

With regards to the mounts. When I removed the scope from the rifle using the Q.D. mounts, which takes just a few seconds, on replacing the scope the point of aim only varies slightly. (1/4" @ 30 yds approx.)

The Exacts I use are JSB.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Beeman, according to his catalogues that M.A.G. provided, supplied after market parts to modify the standard FWB Sport plus other rifles (HW35/80 etc.). The rifle I own has a Beeman walnut stock, back sight plate etc. .

With regards to the mounts. When I removed the scope from the rifle using the Q.D. mounts, which takes just a few seconds, on replacing the scope the point of aim only varies slightly. (1/4" @ 30 yds approx.)

The Exacts I use are JSB.

HTH
    Ian

Thanks Ian. I am now better informed. I had no idea it was possible to obtain such mounts - very useful too if one is alternating between open sites and a scope. I will keep this in mind.

Re the pellets, I discovered there were various types of JSB Exacts, ie Exact RS, Exact Diabolo, Exact Diabolo Heavy and perhaps one or two more. Can I ask which one you use, which suits your .177 45?

Many thanks.
    Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks Ian. I am now better informed. I had no idea it was possible to obtain such mounts - very useful too if one is alternating between open sites and a scope. I will keep this in mind.

Re the pellets, I discovered there were various types of JSB Exacts, ie Exact RS, Exact Diabolo, Exact Diabolo Heavy and perhaps one or two more. Can I ask which one you use, which suits your .177 45?

Many thanks.
    Andrew.
    I wouldn't go out of my way seeking the Leupold 2 piece Q.Ds as they are VERY expensive.

The pellets are JSB Exact but then again Ive not tried any of the others.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I wouldn't go out of my way seeking the Leupold 2 piece Q.Ds as they are VERY expensive.

The pellets are JSB Exact but then again Ive not tried any of the others.
    Thanks Ian. I shall raise these issues when I next visit the gunsmithy!

These three are from Sam99:

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post

And very nice too

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Excuse ignorance but what model are these?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Excuse ignorance but what model are these?
    BSA - Military Pattern - Very scarce - Very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    BSA - Military Pattern - Very scarce - Very expensive

Now I remember I saw one at a Airgun show over here last year, price over $3000. He said it may be the only one in the US. I love those vintage bolt actions, Diana had one for a brief time.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Now I remember I saw one at a Airgun show over here last year, price over $3000. He said it may be the only one in the US. I love those vintage bolt actions, Diana had one for a brief time.
    We have been lucky enough to see 3 offered for sale at the Kempton Fairs over the last 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    [I]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian

[/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass production.

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I had never made the connection. Fascinating. So the original idea was British, pinched by the Germans and then brought back as spoils of war by the Brits again. I don't have a concentric (if only) but the Highest Possible has the same cocking mechanism - so likely where design originated (unless someone else knows better :-)
    https://i.imgur.com/ZYWs4fk.gifv

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That's a very neat and innovative way of showing the connection between the two pistols, and will be very informative to anyone who has never handled a Highest Possible before. Wouldn't it be great if some of the other odd ball pistol and rifle cocking systems could be archived this way in Danny's Gallery?

Love the rare heart-shaped cut-out Highest Possible - I've yet to locate one of these.