Thread: Help with disassembly of a BSA Club Special

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All is good, with a punch, hammer, elbow grease and a whole lot of swearing, the trigger adj and lock screws are out!

Ill upload some images, quite proud of myself that I got them out without damaging anything. These screws have probably never been out!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    All is good, with a punch, hammer, elbow grease and a whole lot of swearing, the trigger adj and lock screws are out!

Ill upload some images, quite proud of myself that I got them out without damaging anything. These screws have probably never been out!

Well done!

Swearing usually helps!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

More help please

Ok so after putting the gun back together and replacing the piston washer with one from John Knibbs. The gun no longer shoots.

It cocks fine but when I pull the trigger it makes a "phutt" sound and I can see the piston just move slowly up the cylinder.

My guess is that the piston seal is wrong and is letting air past.

Thats not all, the trigger adjust and lock screw I ordered from Knibbs are longer than the original and so wont screw in correctly, I can file these down but still, kind of annoying.

So on that note, where can i get a proper leather piston seal for a BSA Club Special? (I believe its the same as the standards)

Cheers

Ok so after putting the gun back together and replacing the piston washer with one from John Knibbs. The gun no longer shoots.

It cocks fine but when I pull the trigger it makes a "phutt" sound and I can see the piston just move slowly up the cylinder.

My guess is that the piston seal is wrong and is letting air past.

Thats not all, the trigger adjust and lock screw I ordered from Knibbs are longer than the original and so wont screw in correctly, I can file these down but still, kind of annoying.

So on that note, where can i get a proper leather piston seal for a BSA Club Special? (I believe its the same as the standards)

Cheers
    Ah now that I think about it, it was probably may fault.

This piston would not go into the cylinder and so I tried my best are shaving a tiny bit of material off the washer.........opps

Let that be a lesson learned not to do work when tired.

Anyone have any tips on getting the washer to fit right? (I have bought a new one from knibbs)

This piston would not go into the cylinder and so I tried my best are shaving a tiny bit of material off the washer.........opps

Anyone have any tips on getting the washer to fit right? (I have bought a new one from knibbs)
    Nothing wrong with that,the leather seals do need sizing for a nice sliding fit.

A piece of 320 production paper worked well in a Mk1 Meteor.

Followed by lubrication with sunflower oil,yes I know,combustible .

Check out the advice here Jake.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cheers for the advice fellas.

I keep forgetting that there is a very comprehensive guide for these old rifles, which Garvin has mentioned twice now, so cheers mate. Im sure ill remember this time

Yup the washer is over sized and so that is the reason why its going down the cylinder slowly, pretty obvious if you think about it. My dad always says "10 minuets hard thinking is equal to an hour of hard work".

Ill take it apart again later and resize the washer. I still have the other one on the way but I do have more than one old BSA that is in need of a service

Thanks again

Jake

Sill having problems with the rifle

I have taken off a bit of the materiel on the leather washer (enough so that the piston can be easily moved up and down the barrel by hand)

It seems to work fine when there is no pellet in the chamber but as soon as i put one in the rifle does the same as before (piston slowly moves down the barrel).

I might just put the old original piston washer back on. Yeah it is tatty, but i know it works ok with it on.