Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: bullet casting.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Warminster, Wilts
    Posts
    637
    RB

    that is an interesting looking bullet!

    re the nose deformation by the lubrisizer top punch, if you have a spare top punch put a piece of tank repair putty into it and push it down on the bullet, you end up with a custom top punch. I do this for all my bullet molds, Real shame to cast up a nice prolate bullet to have it look like a bulldog after lubing!

    T

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    leeds, west yorkshire
    Posts
    10,455
    Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    RB

    that is an interesting looking bullet!

    re the nose deformation by the lubrisizer top punch, if you have a spare top punch put a piece of tank repair putty into it and push it down on the bullet, you end up with a custom top punch. I do this for all my bullet molds, Real shame to cast up a nice prolate bullet to have it look like a bulldog after lubing!

    T
    good tip.....i have a lee hardness tester if anyone wishes to borrow
    email...... stephenbarrow@ntlworld.com
    3 bed static at thornwick bay to let 2016....pm for details

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    So almost pure lead then Enfield?
    Its seems to be. Either is suitable for Minnie bullets.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    grantham
    Posts
    1,407
    Many Thanks to all for the info. Finally settled on a 25 / 75 mix of linotype / pure lead. A scratch test compared to a commercial bullet
    seams to be about the same. They drop out of the mold at .431" ish so have bought a new .429" sizing die which arrived yesterday and
    I'm hoping to get some rounds made up for next weekend. Tally Ho.! Tim

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    26,437
    Hope you donít mind me posting this on your thread Tim?

    today I tried a 10%linotype to 90% lead alloy for both the hollowpoints and the Lee 180 gr RN moulds.

    i had initially tried 100% lead ( or near as damn it) and it proved far too soft to go through the lubrisizer without the nose section squishing down, I the case of the hollowpoint to 0.325Ē!.

    A harder alloy is then needed to avoid deformation and so the 10/90 link/lead was tried.

    This alloy cast very well and was a little harder than the pure lead meaning the lee 180 bullets came out ok but the hollowpoints still squished out.

    I think this is to do with the gas check which being copper needs more force to size than a pure lead boost would.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    6,915
    Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    RB,

    Bit off topic but what do you 'shoot'? I'm assuming BPCR as ML and gallery do not require that much 'fineness' (no slur intended, just an observation!)

    T
    BPCR is shot out to 1200 yards.

    Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

    I weigh my bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. I try and make them them very best I can within my limitations.

    I don't shoot gallery, so I can't comment on it.

    tac
    Several guns and trains.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Warminster, Wilts
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    BPCR is shot out to 1200 yards.

    Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

    I weigh my bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. I try and make them them very best I can within my limitations.

    I don't shoot gallery, so I can't comment on it.

    tac
    Tac,

    Thank you for input, aware of the different comps, was just after RB,s particular application to possibly comment.

    Have only shot competitively to 1000 yards myself with BPCR. ML is too much faffing personally, I’ll do my loading at home

    Re bullet weight, using a good PID controller on the pot and a preload mold handle my bullets drop +/- 1g but I sort them into 1/2g groups. Get the odd one that’s too far +/- but they are few and used for foulers

    Brgds T
    Last edited by thibben; 08-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    26,437
    Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Tac,

    Thank you for input, aware of the different comps, was just after RB,s particular application to possibly comment.

    Have only shot competitively to 1000 yards myself with BPCR. ML is too much faffing personally, Iíll do my loading at home

    Re bullet weight, using a Good controller on the pot and a preload mold handle my bullets drop +/- 1g but I sort them into 1/2g groups. Get the odd one thatís too far +/- but they are Fee and used for foulers

    Brgds T

    Tac shoots BPCR out to 1200 yards

    He also shoots Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.


    He weighs his bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. he tries and makes them them very best he can within his limitations.


    He doesn't shoot gallery, so he can't comment on it.

    Which is something at least.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    6,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Tac shoots BPCR out to 1200 yards

    He also shoots Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.


    He weighs his bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. he tries and makes them them very best he can within his limitations.


    He doesn't shoot gallery, so he can't comment on it.

    Which is something at least.
    Your point being?

    I suppose I should be grateful to have finally come to the the notice of your ineffably superior intellect. However, this measure of success on my part is tempered with the sure and certain knowledge that I'll never again read anything posted by you, as you have now joined Mr Pavling on my two-person ignore list.

    It's YOUR turn to feel honoured, and in such rare company.

    Now piss off.

    tac
    Several guns and trains.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Wet Cold Downtown Northampton
    Posts
    17,194
    Go Tac
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Daventry. Northants.
    Posts
    3,494
    Listen to thibben, he knows his stuff, he helped me no end getting my Sharps to group sub 2" @ 100yds, i am very grateful of his knowledge he saved me a lot of time and experimentation, had it not been for thibben i would be a year behind where i am now. Thanks mate.

    TB.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    26,437

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Your point being?

    I suppose I should be grateful to have finally come to the the notice of your ineffably superior intellect. However, this measure of success on my part is tempered with the sure and certain knowledge that I'll never again read anything posted by you, as you have now joined Mr Pavling on my two-person ignore list.

    It's YOUR turn to feel honoured, and in such rare company.

    Now piss off.

    tac
    Tac...

    I am consumed with remorse at my heinous crimes, both actual and imagined, and have come to see the error of my ways given the seriousness of the sanction you level against me here.

    Please don't put me on your ignore list, please don't even orbit me too close to the event horizon of your ignore list.

    Were I cast into such an oubliette I would surely suffer my bones to elongate, my nose to wither and my eyebrow hairs to flare aggressively at the ends...

    Please reconsider, I leave you with a poem



    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •