Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bullet casting.

RB

that is an interesting looking bullet!

re the nose deformation by the lubrisizer top punch, if you have a spare top punch put a piece of tank repair putty into it and push it down on the bullet, you end up with a custom top punch. I do this for all my bullet molds, Real shame to cast up a nice prolate bullet to have it look like a bulldog after lubing!

T

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    RB

that is an interesting looking bullet!

re the nose deformation by the lubrisizer top punch, if you have a spare top punch put a piece of tank repair putty into it and push it down on the bullet, you end up with a custom top punch. I do this for all my bullet molds, Real shame to cast up a nice prolate bullet to have it look like a bulldog after lubing!

T
    good tip.....i have a lee hardness tester if anyone wishes to borrow

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    So almost pure lead then Enfield?
    Its seems to be. Either is suitable for Minnie bullets.

Many Thanks to all for the info. Finally settled on a 25 / 75 mix of linotype / pure lead. A scratch test compared to a commercial bullet
    seams to be about the same. They drop out of the mold at .431" ish so have bought a new .429" sizing die which arrived yesterday and
    I'm hoping to get some rounds made up for next weekend. Tally Ho.! Tim

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Hope you don’t mind me posting this on your thread Tim?

today I tried a 10%linotype to 90% lead alloy for both the hollowpoints and the Lee 180 gr RN moulds.

i had initially tried 100% lead ( or near as damn it) and it proved far too soft to go through the lubrisizer without the nose section squishing down, I the case of the hollowpoint to 0.325”!.

A harder alloy is then needed to avoid deformation and so the 10/90 link/lead was tried.

This alloy cast very well and was a little harder than the pure lead meaning the lee 180 bullets came out ok but the hollowpoints still squished out.

I think this is to do with the gas check which being copper needs more force to size than a pure lead boost would.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

RB,

Bit off topic but what do you 'shoot'? I'm assuming BPCR as ML and gallery do not require that much 'fineness' (no slur intended, just an observation!)

T
    BPCR is shot out to 1200 yards.

Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

I weigh my bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. I try and make them them very best I can within my limitations.

I don't shoot gallery, so I can't comment on it.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    BPCR is shot out to 1200 yards.

Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

I weigh my bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. I try and make them them very best I can within my limitations.

I don't shoot gallery, so I can't comment on it.

tac
    Tac,

Thank you for input, aware of the different comps, was just after RB,s particular application to possibly comment.

Have only shot competitively to 1000 yards myself with BPCR. ML is too much faffing personally, I’ll do my loading at home

Re bullet weight, using a good PID controller on the pot and a preload mold handle my bullets drop +/- 1g but I sort them into 1/2g groups. Get the odd one that’s too far +/- but they are few and used for foulers

Brgds T
    Last edited by thibben; 08-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Tac,

Thank you for input, aware of the different comps, was just after RB,s particular application to possibly comment.

Have only shot competitively to 1000 yards myself with BPCR. ML is too much faffing personally, I’ll do my loading at home

Re bullet weight, using a Good controller on the pot and a preload mold handle my bullets drop +/- 1g but I sort them into 1/2g groups. Get the odd one that’s too far +/- but they are Fee and used for foulers

Brgds T

Tac shoots BPCR out to 1200 yards

He also shoots Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

He weighs his bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. he tries and makes them them very best he can within his limitations.

He doesn't shoot gallery, so he can't comment on it.

Which is something at least.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Tac shoots BPCR out to 1200 yards

He also shoots Muzzle loading matches are also out to 1200 yards.

He weighs his bullets to within 2gr, even though they weigh either 405gr or 535gr. he tries and makes them them very best he can within his limitations.

He doesn't shoot gallery, so he can't comment on it.

Which is something at least.
    Your point being?

I suppose I should be grateful to have finally come to the the notice of your ineffably superior intellect. However, this measure of success on my part is tempered with the sure and certain knowledge that I'll never again read anything posted by you, as you have now joined Mr Pavling on my two-person ignore list.

It's YOUR turn to feel honoured, and in such rare company.

Now piss off.

tac

Go Tac
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Listen to thibben, he knows his stuff, he helped me no end getting my Sharps to group sub 2" @ 100yds, i am very grateful of his knowledge he saved me a lot of time and experimentation, had it not been for thibben i would be a year behind where i am now. Thanks mate.

TB.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Your point being?

I suppose I should be grateful to have finally come to the the notice of your ineffably superior intellect. However, this measure of success on my part is tempered with the sure and certain knowledge that I'll never again read anything posted by you, as you have now joined Mr Pavling on my two-person ignore list.

It's YOUR turn to feel honoured, and in such rare company.

Now piss off.

tac
    Tac...

I am consumed with remorse at my heinous crimes, both actual and imagined, and have come to see the error of my ways given the seriousness of the sanction you level against me here.

Please don't put me on your ignore list, please don't even orbit me too close to the event horizon of your ignore list.

Were I cast into such an oubliette I would surely suffer my bones to elongate, my nose to wither and my eyebrow hairs to flare aggressively at the ends...

Please reconsider, I leave you with a poem