Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Supersport DS Cocking Slide?

BSA Supersport DS Cocking Slide?

Does anyone have one knocking about, pretty please?

I acquired this SS yesterday. Looks a little tired but shoots nicely.

However, looking through the cocking slot, it appears that the end of one of the side plates has broken off. The gun cocks smoothly, but the link rattles slightly when returning the barrel to the closed position. Guessing it's not wise to keep on using unless further damage ensues.

Looking at the Chambers site, the part is no longer available. It looks like the same part is used on the Mark V Meteor? Knibbs do a replacement, with what looks like a solid centre section and much stronger, but they're £40.

Before committing to any spend, I really ought to strip it completely and make sure there's nothing else majorly amiss. Struggling for time at the moment, though.

Would any nice peeps have a secondhand part lurking that's surplus to requirements? One of my bike customers does engineering stuff and I also wonder if it's feasible to have him make up a new side plate?

I think Protek also sometimes do secondhand parts?

I'll also have to have a rummage around the garage and see if I can find a screwdriver with a nice, narrow shank to get through the hole in the trigger guard to whip the stock off!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Tony, if the end is broken but still present you may be able to get it welded back together. I did this with the one on my mercury challenger. I then riveted the parts back together with some brazing rod. Held up fine so far!

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hiya Tone, if the bits are the same as a Meteor, I have an old one that Mel Chipendale gave me. I think it has the cockery linkage on it...

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Tony, if the end is broken but still present you may be able to get it welded back together. I did this with the one on my mercury challenger. I then riveted the parts back together with some brazing rod. Held up fine so far!

Max
    Thank you, Max.

Just looking through the cocking slot, I'd say that the side plate is missing from the pin forwards.

We had to go out tonight, so I haven't had the chance to whip the stock off yet to have a proper look.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hiya Tone, if the bits are the same as a Meteor, I have an old one that Mel Chipendale gave me. I think it has the cockery linkage on it...
    Aha, thank you, kind Phil.

After a quick look on the Chambers site earlier, I think it would have to be the linkage from a Mark V Meteor. If the part that you have is the correct one, I'd love to take it off your hands. However, firstly, I think I ought to strip it down and have a good look at everything to make sure she warrants a little expense or not. It isn't the best looks wise, but it does shoot very nicely and doesn't have a wobbly breech. Cocking and firing cycles are both smooth, so it's obviously had a little internal attention; just hoping it's not been subjected to any bodgery inside.

I see what you mean, Tone. Earlier Meteors have a one piece cocking arm.

If you have a look at what you've got - I'll have a look at what I got, isn't it?

Yes, Nice Phil.

I don't have the gun in front of me right now, but it's certainly jointed. Front section with two arms pinned into the rear slide section, which is made up of two outer plates and the inner.

Yep, nice one Tone.

I see what you mean from the Chambers schematics, and a part # search.

Yours is the MK1 Supersport, using the same articulated cocking arm parts as the MK1 Lightning and MK5 Meteor.

Meteor parts from other than the MK5 would be no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Rather than split a complete gun, Phil, I reckon I have a MK5 meteor cocking link in my parts bin that Tone's welcome to have.

I'll have a look later.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Rather than split a complete gun, Phil, I reckon I have a MK5 meteor cocking link in my parts bin that Tone's welcome to have.

I'll have a look later.
    Blimey!

Now, I wasn't expecting that. If you do have one lurking about, Mick, that will be a "yes, please" and we'll agree a price.

Before I do, though, as above, let me strip the old thing and have a look. She shoots okay so I'm hoping that there will not be too many nasty surprises in there. And, before I strip it, I think it would make sense to run it over the chrono, but I'll not get the opportunity to do that until next Wednesday.

Thank you, Uncle Mick. You are an absolute star. An absolute font of wisdom and knowledge and a dream-maker, courtesy of you making The Boinger Bash a dream come true for so many of us.

P.S. I hadn't read Phil's original post properly beforehand......I thought he meant that he had a cocking linkage until I re-read the post. So, no, don't you be getting ideas about stripping a poor little Meteor down on my behalf, Phil. And thank you.

Yes, I have one off a MK5 Meteor, Tone.

Could you PM me your address again and I'll get it in the post.

All the best Mick

Thank you Uncle Mick.

You're a star.

As per previous post, though, let me give it a good looking over internally first to confirm that it's worth continuing.

All the best,

Tone. xxx

Finally managed to find a few minutes to strip it today.

Internals are fine.

So, yes please, Mick re the slide.

Will pm you.

Starting new thread on other observations.

Alright guys? Been a bit busy with one thing and another, plus internet connection problems off and/or on, over the past 2 bloody weeks or more.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

I'll have a look later.
    Nice one Mick.

I seem to have a MK5 Meteor Super! (one that I plan to fix up and give to a family friend who admired it, although Gawd knows what she sees in a Meteor!? ).

And the incomplete one that Mel kindy gave me for spares is a MK4 or earlier (one-piece cocking arm).

The cocking linkage on my MK5 looks a bit wonky where the pin joins the two parts together, so it's probably not much good anyway.

The one on mine isn't wonky, Phil. However, it was pretty gunged up and I wonder if it may become more wobbly once degreased? Uncle Mick (and one or two others) will be able to better advise, but maybe a little wobbly wouldn't cause an issue?