Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA straigth hand in .22

BSA straigth hand in .22

Hi folks, I'm looking for a BSA rifle with a straight handed stock in .22 caliber from the early days say around 1910 to whenever straight hand stocks stopped being offered. I would guess that was up until the great war, but don't know. Anything considered so long as it is priced realistically. Thanks for any help with this request,

Paul M

Quote Originally Posted by plumbgun View Post
    Hi folks, I'm looking for a BSA rifle with a straight handed stock in .22 caliber from the early days say around 1910 to whenever straight hand stocks stopped being offered. I would guess that was up until the great war, but don't know. Anything considered so long as it is priced realistically. Thanks for any help with this request,

Paul M
    Slippery slope, Paul...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

erm..

Well, you know me Garvin....

Well, you know me Garvin....
    just out of interest - when did straight stocks 'finish' on these?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    just out of interest - when did straight stocks 'finish' on these?
    I believe Straight Hand stocks were only available up until the end of WW1.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I believe Straight Hand stocks were only available up until the end of WW1.

Regards
    Brian
    Apart from the first 'L' series rifles which used pre-WW1 parts.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Apart from the first 'L' series rifles which used pre-WW1 parts.
    Hi Danny,

I should have known that as I have a 'Transitional' Light Pattern Ser No L296 which has a Straight Hand stock and is mostly Improved Mod D, but with L series lockwork presumably dating from circa 1919.

Regards
    Brian

All very interesting - BUT who is going to sell me one? :-)

Smile

All very interesting - BUT who is going to sell me one? :-)
    Good God Man.... you can't just buy one of these!!
    You have to be vetted first to make sure you are of a suitable background (preferably with family history and a urine sample to check for the correct level of alcohol in the blood) - then have a home visit where a committee of owners check to make sure you have suitably furnished storage facilities and the correct lubricants, oils and unguents commensurate to the type and age of gun under consideration....

...proof of ownership and access to the appropriate turnkeys [NB: NEVER use or refer to a 'screwdriver']
    ...then several character assessments and interviews

...and finally - you may take up supervised fostering (and eventually apply for ownership) after an allotted time has passed.

Or: you can hand over readies when one you like comes up!!

You may be looking for some time.

(1)The pre-WW1 guns that you seek, are more commonly encountered with the pistolhand stock, rather than the straighthand stock.
    The guns themselves were fitted with a pistolhand stock as standard, however a straighthand stock could be ordered at the time of purchase if preferred. This could hold up delivery of the gun, as only the larger retailers would have both pistolhand and straighthand guns in stock, so for that reason most purchasers would have opted for the ready supplied stock shape.
    The straight hand stock was cheaper than the pistolhand stock, but most people buying a BSA weren't the penny pinching type, as the guns were very expensive in their day.
    (2) .177 pre-war guns massively outnumber .22 guns, so there are not that many pre-WW1 .22 guns encountered. Most that are will be fitted with a pistolhand stock.

" Nothing truly worthwhile is easy" Good luck in your search

Lakey

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    For ref, the straight stock offered as a cheaper alternative to the pistol-grip stocks on the early BSAs and Lincoln Jefferies air rifles, is also referred to by many as the shotgun stock, too (and I still use the latter name to describe the stock on my much cherished 1906 shotgun stocked Lincoln Jefferies Mod.H -- which, err, is definitely not up for sale btw, nor will it be, any time soon lol). Hope this extra name information will help with your quest via the wibbly.wobbly.interweb? Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Good God Man.... you can't just buy one of these!!
    You have to be vetted first to make sure you are of a suitable background (preferably with family history and a urine sample to check for the correct level of alcohol in the blood) - then have a home visit where a committee of owners check to make sure you have suitably furnished storage facilities and the correct lubricants, oils and unguents commensurate to the type and age of gun under consideration....

...proof of ownership and access to the appropriate turnkeys [NB: NEVER use or refer to a 'screwdriver']
    ...then several character assessments and interviews

...and finally - you may take up supervised fostering (and eventually apply for ownership) after an allotted time has passed.

Or: you can hand over readies when one you like comes up!!
    Well, those to whom I choose to reveal my credentials would judge me more than a suitable custodian for one - in fact many lesser mortals would consider it an honor to let me offer it a cherished place in an important, but highly guarded collection. The majority of my activities are so suitable that they cannot be revealed sites like this. I regularly submit urine samples, and so far have never been found deficient in alcohol, testosterone and a number of other compounds - although I am pleased to report my PSA is now a lot lower. There , will that do?

Paul M :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    You may be looking for some time.

(1)The pre-WW1 guns that you seek, are more commonly encountered with the pistolhand stock, rather than the straighthand stock.
    The guns themselves were fitted with a pistolhand stock as standard, however a straighthand stock could be ordered at the time of purchase if preferred. This could hold up delivery of the gun, as only the larger retailers would have both pistolhand and straighthand guns in stock, so for that reason most purchasers would have opted for the ready supplied stock shape.
    The straight hand stock was cheaper than the pistolhand stock, but most people buying a BSA weren't the penny pinching type, as the guns were very expensive in their day.
    (2) .177 pre-war guns massively outnumber .22 guns, so there are not that many pre-WW1 .22 guns encountered. Most that are will be fitted with a pistolhand stock.

" Nothing truly worthwhile is easy" Good luck in your search

Lakey
    Thanks Lakey - you are right, I'm sure, on all counts. Thanks for your wishes of good luck!!

Well, those to whom I choose to reveal my credentials would judge me more than a suitable custodian for one - in fact many lesser mortals would consider it an honor to let me offer it a cherished place in an important, but highly guarded collection. The majority of my activities are so suitable that they cannot be revealed sites like this. I regularly submit urine samples, and so far have never been found deficient in alcohol, testosterone and a number of other compounds - although I am pleased to report my PSA is now a lot lower. There , will that do?

Paul M :-)
    Apparently...
    ...in an ideal world (and depending on your age)...
    ...You want your PSA count to be beneath 5,
    ...and your BSA count to be a lot higher!!

Ha ha - shouldn't laugh about this sort of thing, but I'd be worried about my health (again) if my PSA was as high as my BSA is now!! Thanks for making me smile!!