Thread: Colchester Gamekeeper

Colchester Gamekeeper

Anybody have any info about a Break down PCP air rifle called the Colchester gamekeeper?

I know of one for sale. Whats is it like for accuracy, can you get parts and what should you pay for one?

In anticipation Ian

This (mods!) should move to collectors.

Rare, iconic, very innovative at the time, bit flawed. Basically. Others can expand on this, I hope.

A collector thing more than a practical thing. If you want a practical thing, you will get better performance from something more recent.

colchester gamekeeper

Have a few myself Ian, They came with two bottles and in all flavours from .177, ,20, .22, .25. with 1,2,3, or 4 barrels, Whatever you ordered. My first one came new with .177 and .22 barrels, Second one came from my friend Guy with .22 and .25 barrels and the rest had single barrels of various cal`s.
    No spares available at all these days and have to be made or upgraded especially the terrible valve system. Luckily mine have been ok and seals are easy enough to match up, Only try and buy ones with two barrels although you can have a blank and probe made up easy enough, Try Dave Mercer...DM80 on here or if you would like to speak to Martin the inventor for a chat then message me and I will send his number.
    Nothing more to add for a collectors rifle, Would I use them again for hunting?... They put bunnies on the table and so have all my other rifles but my rapids are my go to rifles. Price,,,,, Well they are up and down like a prostitutes knickers and if one comes along they don't usually hang about for long.
    Wonder if I should sell mine,,,,,,,Probably not. Col.

The body of the Gamekeeper is really well engineered, unfortunately the valving is not great.

However, if you are into re-buiilding gun and have the means to make new valving then it can become a really nice and unusual rifle to own.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

I lusted at the original adverts for these. The tag line was something like, "on the way to the office, or off hunting?". Showing a chap carrying a smart black briefcase. I've been into takedown rifles ever since. I would like to find one of these, although prices are sky high.

I bought one a few years ago never used as I filled it to test it's power ,but when I was going to try at the range a few month's later it was low on air
    I was reading a thread n another place about redoing the valve and may look at doing it and should see how bad it leaks

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Have a few myself Ian, They came with two bottles and in all flavours from .177, ,20, .22, .25. with 1,2,3, or 4 barrels, Whatever you ordered. My first one came new with .177 and .22 barrels, Second one came from my friend Guy with .22 and .25 barrels and the rest had single barrels of various cal`s.
    No spares available at all these days and have to be made or upgraded especially the terrible valve system. Luckily mine have been ok and seals are easy enough to match up, Only try and buy ones with two barrels although you can have a blank and probe made up easy enough, Try Dave Mercer...DM80 on here or if you would like to speak to Martin the inventor for a chat then message me and I will send his number.
    Nothing more to add for a collectors rifle, Would I use them again for hunting?... They put bunnies on the table and so have all my other rifles but my rapids are my go to rifles. Price,,,,, Well they are up and down like a prostitutes knickers and if one comes along they don't usually hang about for long.
    Wonder if I should sell mine,,,,,,,Probably not. Col.
    A few photographs of my early Colchester Gamekeeper serial number 00012.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57625479059030

I had one a while ago the valve had been swapped for a daystate one so it worked OK , they look better than they perform though ! sold it to a mate for £300 but when he tried to px it later one shop ( macavoys ) told him it was Illegal as it could be used as a High power pistol

Quote Originally Posted by iwalk View Post
    Anybody have any info about a Break down PCP air rifle called the Colchester gamekeeper?

I know of one for sale. Whats is it like for accuracy, can you get parts and what should you pay for one?

In anticipation Ian
    Hi Ian.
    I'm also from Norwich, the one you know of for sale, is it on freeadds website?
    If so it's the one I'm selling and your welcome to come and have a look?
    All the best.
    Mike

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Just to say hello to fellow Norwich chaps. And I have a gamekeeper and an alros trailsman.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Ahaaa!

The trailsman is another very interesting rifle.

I've two a bottle version and a tube one
    I made a new valve that will also let me use a reg'd paintball tank as well