Thread: Anyone ever used VinylDye to give white plastic grips

Anyone ever used VinylDye to give white plastic grips

on a Colt SAA or Remington Cowboy a yellowed or aged finish?

Or any other method for that matter.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Strong UV light can turn white plastic yellow.

black coffee apparently works too https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...-plastic-parts

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sta...-parts.124364/

Pics on this one http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/co...-after.148555/

It does depend on the plastic though
    Last edited by bighit; 05-01-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks for the response.

As you say it depends on the plastic, and I don't know what type of plastic it is.

Probably acrylic, but it could be something else.

Surprised Wingun supply them so squeaky clean white.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Thanks for the response.

As you say it depends on the plastic, and I don't know what type of plastic it is.

Probably acrylic, but it could be something else.

Surprised Wingun supply them so squeaky clean white.

Probably the cheaper option . given that the real ones would have been ivory ,it does seem silly they would be white white white

Many of the "real" ones weren't ivory at all. Even now, it's possible to buy faux ivory grips for the real steel Colt 45 that look like ivory.

Surely you don't believe that modern technology can't produce plastic that mimics ivory.

And just about everything else. Tokyo Marui managed to make plastic that looks like metal.

Look at the grips on the Schofield pellet revolver. They actually look like wood.

And the ivory grips on the Schofield bb revolver don't look like plastic.

But the Colt SAA white grips do look like plastic. And, come to that, the "wood" grips on some of the Colt SAA revolvers look like plastic too.

The limited editions are better.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 05-01-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    Arthur

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Fwiw, the faux ivory grips on my Schofield are a lovely creamy off white, which once the shiny nap has worn slightly (this could be hastened with the dry application of a little bicarbonate of soda and some gentle rubbing), will look wonderfully authentic against the coffee-tinted nickel livery that said Schofield sports.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Yes, that gun is a beauty, Gareth.
    Arthur

Yes, that gun is a beauty, Gareth.
    Indeed it is, and thank you. Have you decided which of the western-style pistols in which guise (BB or Pellet), and which livery you may choose, yet?

Ignoring the 'Cowboy' () wording on the Remington, all of these western pistols have much to offer in this particular genre in my considered opinion, but having hands like shovels as I do, and having a penchant for the history of the era (see post #29 though to #33 on gingernut's Schofield thread), I do favour the antique finish Schofield over all the others -- but this pistol is very closely followed for me by the antique finish SAA Peacemaker.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Many of the "real" ones weren't ivory at all. Even now, it's possible to buy faux ivory grips for the real steel Colt 45 that look like ivory.

Surely you don't believe that modern technology can't produce plastic that mimics ivory.

And just about everything else. Tokyo Marui managed to make plastic that looks like metal.

Look at the grips on the Schofield pellet revolver. They actually look like wood.

And the ivory grips on the Schofield bb revolver don't look like plastic.

But the Colt SAA white grips do look like plastic. And, come to that, the "wood" grips on some of the Colt SAA revolvers look like plastic too.

The limited editions are better.
    By real ones i meant as in the cowboy era . yes they may have been animal bone too.

I see.

Sorry for makingthe wrong assumption.

Gareth, I like em all.

But I can't afford em all.

And deciding is proving very difficult indeed. I'm increasingly being drawn to the bb, because, after I've sold a couple of items, I could just about manage to get two of them, and I like the idea of ASG Blaster 4.5 plastic bbs for use in the house. Bit cold in the garage and garden these days.

I have one of those cheap Detolf glass display cabinets from IKEA, with three extra shelves, and I would really like to put some old western replicas in it, so that I can look at them all day.

I have always loved westerns, and have never really grown up.
    Arthur

Lol. I stopped growing up when I reached what transpired to be the peak of my maturity in 1978 when I left school. Since then I've just gotten older but with the unchanging mind set of a big kid (and long may it prevail ). Atvb my friend: G.