Thread: 1853 3 band Tower Enfield (reproduction or Original?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1853 3 band Tower Enfield (reproduction or Original?)

Hi all,

My Grandfather has an old 1853 Tower Enfield rifle that has been hung on his staircase wall for a very long time. As a kid I have always seen it on the wall but never asked him about it.

So the other day to settle years of curiosity I asked if I could take a look.

I found out that it is a 1853 Enfield, done some research and I am fairly confidant in my knowledge about them now. But I do know that there have been many reproductions throughout the years.

Parker Hale made some in the 1970's, which is around the time he got it. Now he say's it is a original 1853 but how can you tell?

I dont have any images of it at the moment but Ill be at his tomorrow so I can have a look.

I did remove the barrel from the woodwork and there is, what i presume to be a makers mark on the inner stock just in front of the trigger (cant remember the name either...) And there were some other markings on the barrel but they were sort of faded (Looks like hallmarks, could be proof marks? also stamped number 12(?))

Anyway, so my question is this:

Is there anyway to tell between a original 1853 and a repo?

Cheers.

Jake

The proof marks should date it.

There are others on here who know more about them than I do.

A clear picture or sketch would be necessary to identify them.

Its not unusual for an original to turn up that has been on a wall or in a cupboard for years.
    A gun club member saw a ramorod on a bootsale and asked if the seller had anything else and he mentioned he had a gun.
    He went to see it and it was and original Enfield. It had been hung in the kitchen for years and the condensation had covered the outside of the barrel in small rust pits.
    The bore was good and so he bought it and used it.

The Parker Hale wil have a roundall on ths flat of the stock saying " Parker Hale", an original will have "Enfield" with a 1 or 2 below it. Which means a 1st or 2nd class of arm. Also the side plate behind the hammer will have a crown over PH if its not original, or crown over VR if it is.

Sounds very interesting. Iv had a couple of Parker Hales and currently have a Muskatoon which is a great rifle to shoot, always brings a smile to the face of anyone shooting it.
    Sadly Iv never owned an original but seem to remember there where a few "wall hangers" that where made with working triggers etc but had a small hole drilled in the underside
    of the barrel. Mine has Parker Hale stamped on the metal and a round stamp on the stock. I doubt if originals where ever made for anything but shooting but best to get it checked
    out before using it. Would be great if its un fired original.!!

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Sounds very interesting. Iv had a couple of Parker Hales and currently have a Muskatoon which is a great rifle to shoot, always brings a smile to the face of anyone shooting it.
    Sadly Iv never owned an original but seem to remember there where a few "wall hangers" that where made with working triggers etc but had a small hole drilled in the underside
    of the barrel. Mine has Parker Hale stamped on the metal and a round stamp on the stock. I doubt if originals where ever made for anything but shooting but best to get it checked
    out before using it. Would be great if its un fired original.!!
    With what others have said it looks like it is an original. My grandfather was given it by some old feller back in the 70's.

Ill have another look later today and take a picture or two.

Thanks for the replys

Jake

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    An old boy i know has a converted original, shortened forestock & smoothbored barrel. He had had it since he was a kid, He had never used it but i found it was still loaded with a caked old charge of blackpowder & shot.
    There were also the Bengal carbines sold in the 70's, 12 bore, 25" barrel & captive swivel ramrod, I had one, it was not good quality but it gave me a lifelong love of blackpowder. Proper muzzleflash with that short tube!