Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1853 3 band Tower Enfield (reproduction or Original?)

Some images of the shotguns on the wall together with the rifle

https://imgur.com/a/y9PNS

I have made a separate thread about them.

Cheers

Jake

thanks for sharing i really want a 3 band enfield for my collection

I have a snider its basically a 3 band enfield which shoots cartridges. Used to shoot quite well once I had sorted a bullet that fitted the rifling. Now off ticket and looking lovely on my wall
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Some nice marks there - who was J Guerin?

tac
    i have a couple and a few sniders but not a name i know

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I have a snider its basically a 3 band enfield which shoots cartridges. Used to shoot quite well once I had sorted a bullet that fitted the rifling. Now off ticket and looking lovely on my wall
    Wasn't the snider the rifle to replace the old Tower Enfield's as the British service rifle?

Nice rifle's

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Wasn't the snider the rifle to replace the old Tower Enfield's as the British service rifle?

Nice rifle's
    Yes, partly. It's a lot more complicated than that. The British Army adopted it in 1866 as a conversion system for its ubiquitous Pattern 1853 Enfield muzzle-loading rifles, and used it until 1874 when the Martini–Henry rifle began to supersede it. The British Indian Army used the Snider–Enfield until the end of the nineteenth century. Although issued with the Snider prior to Confederation in 1867, Canada retained the Snider in full military issue until the arrival of the Lee-Enfield. I have two Canadian Sniders, the earlier one - without the iconic DC in diamond stamp - is a five-groove, two
    two-band short rifle, like the one that Rob is shooting in his Youtube video. My other one, a family heirloom, is a three-band rifle that was issued to the 44th Battalion of Infantry of the Welland and Lincoln County Militia, and saw service during the Fenian Revolt [on the government side, obviously].

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 23-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have a couple and a few sniders but not a name i know
    A 'few' Sniders?

Wow! Do tell.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A 'few' Sniders?

Wow! Do tell.

tac
    3 band portugeuse
    3 band nepalese (rare one as this extracts cases after firing ) usually nepalese ones you have to roger them out due to chamber issues.
    also have a 2 bander which i think is a navy issue....all mk3 version

edit.....also a civilian 2 band sporter....off top of my head i think its a mk 2 with a safety device fitted.
    its put away as someone rebarrelled it and it just doesnt fit right.....about 1/16 of a turn lol

Jake, looking at the close ups of the lock area I would say that it looks to be an original 19th C. Enfield, almost certainly not one of the 20th C. reproductions. As has been mentioned here the proof marks are important thing. Also the fact that it has an adjustable rear sight sets it above the inferior Indian arms issued after the mutiny. I would assume that it is rifled?

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    3 band portugeuse
    3 band nepalese (rare one as this extracts cases after firing ) usually nepalese ones you have to roger them out due to chamber issues.
    also have a 2 bander which i think is a navy issue....all mk3 version

edit.....also a civilian 2 band sporter....off top of my head i think its a mk 2 with a safety device fitted.
    its put away as someone rebarrelled it and it just doesnt fit right.....about 1/16 of a turn lol

loiner that makes two of use with Nepalese sniders that work. I find it very nice to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    loiner that makes two of use with Nepalese sniders that work. I find it very nice to shoot.
    That's good to know - so many of these older guns are hanging on walls, or propping them up somewhere. Please tell me about your reloading. Over in Canadia we do a LOT of shooting with Sniders, since so many of them have survived military/militia service, like my three-band. With that in mind, a company called XC-Ring Sefvices, based in Spokane WA, makes a special .6002cal mould that exactly duptlicates the original Snider bullet, being somewhat squatter than a Minié-style, and lacking the hollow base, again, as per original. They are not exactly giving them away, but to get the best out of a Snider - and they can show amazing accuracy - such a bullet really is necessary. Martynm the boss, is more than welcome visitor to the Alberta shoots that you can see on Youtube

tac

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Jake, looking at the close ups of the lock area I would say that it looks to be an original 19th C. Enfield, almost certainly not one of the 20th C. reproductions. As has been mentioned here the proof marks are important thing. Also the fact that it has an adjustable rear sight sets it above the inferior Indian arms issued after the mutiny. I would assume that it is rifled?
    Last time I checked I could not see any rifling. But the gun could use a clean.

The chamber on mine is fairly roomy, so I am able to use 24 gauge Magtech brass with a .600 round ball.
    I load with black powder with semolina on top.
    I can hit a torso sized target at 100 yards every time, which given the sights and my eyes is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    The chamber on mine is fairly roomy, so I am able to use 24 gauge Magtech brass with a .600 round ball.
    I load with black powder with semolina on top.
    I can hit a torso sized target at 100 yards every time, which given the sights and my eyes is not bad.
    only used .592 bullet in mine but will try and seat a .600 ball sometime...
    also have D and E and a F versions of the eic 1842 muskets but these are wall hangers at the minute....they are shooters but not on my ticket yet lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    thanks for sharing i really want a 3 band enfield for my collection
    I have a type 2 for sale if you are interested?