Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1853 3 band Tower Enfield (reproduction or Original?)

It does look like an original 19th or early 20th C. Though I might be wrong...reproductions?

Quote Originally Posted by marcS View Post
    It does look like an original 19th or early 20th C. Though I might be wrong...reproductions?
    Confirmed it is a genuine 1856 Tower Enfield.

Parker Hale made reproductions tower rifles, but I believe to own a repo you need a firearms licence(?)

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Confirmed it is a genuine 1856 Tower Enfield. Parker Hale made reproductions tower rifles, but I believe to own a repo you need a firearms licence(?)

Jake
    Parker-Hale made Enfield-marked rifles and carbines, not Tower. Tower-assembled military arms predated the setting up of the mass-production facilities at Enfield Lock, just outside London. If is is marked Tower, then it is not an 'Enfield' anything - it is a Pattern of 1853 musket or rifled musket.

An orginal P53 muzzle-loading Tower or Enfield musket/rifled musket is classed as an antique - no form of documentation or firearms certificate is needed.

However, IF you want to shoot it, you must -

1. Be a full member of a gun club of the kind that shoots this style of gun.

2. Have a Firearms Certificate on which it is registered.

To have 2. you must be a full member of 1.

All modern live-firing replicas of rifled muzzleloading firearms are classed as Section 1 firearms, and you'll need an FAC to acquire and possess one. Point 1. refers.

All modern live-firing replicas of smooth-bore muzzleloading muskets/blunderbusses et al with barrels longer than 24" [?] are classed as shotguns, and require a Shotgun Certificate [SGC]. All re-enactors like members of the Sealed Knot and so on, have SGCs, even though all they fire are blanks. Shorter barrelled modern-replicas items, like any handguns or miniature cannon, require a Section 1 FAC.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 27-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.