Thread: Ratcatcher Airgun

Ratcatcher Airgun

I have a Son who is mad on shooting. Nerf guns etc. I am thinking for his next birthday buying him an Airgun purely for target shooting at my range.
    The ratcatcher looks small enough for him but looks are deceiving. What field for a 6 year old. Will be using a bipod and sat at a bench.
    Cheers

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The ratcatcher is not that easy to attach a bipod to, or adjust the length of pull on. Though there are lots of people making stocks for them so you may be able to get a reasonably priced custom stock made?
    A 12 year old could probably make do but I have a feeling that it may be a bit unwieldy for a 6/7 year old. But then there's not much out there for that age range.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The ratcatcher is not that easy to attach a bipod to, or adjust the length of pull on. Though there are lots of people making stocks for them so you may be able to get a reasonably priced custom stock made?
    A 12 year old could probably make do but I have a feeling that it may be a bit unwieldy for a 6/7 year old. But then there's not much out there for that age range.
    There certainly is not much out there for a six year old. My boy is six and for years i've had a Biathlon trainer synthetic stock rifle which I messed around with for plinking. Technically that's a junior rifle and is pretty tiny. A couple of weeks ago I dug it out and tried it for size on him and it was way too big unfortunately. I'm going to hang on for a few months because the last thing I would want is to cause it to be unsafe due to rushing things.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    My Grandaughter is 8yo but small for her age and about a year ago I had her shooting my Ratcatcher and the way she did it was to put her arm through gap in the skeleton stock It worked a treat for her anyway.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    A QB78 may actually be a better bet - sure it's bigger but much easier to get a bipod onto and if you're shooting off a bench it doesn't matter too much how heavy it is. The stocks are wood so much easier to cut down, or even get spares of because all the modders change the stocks.
    They respond very well to even a basic fettle, and you don't have any of that horrid plastic breech nonsense.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    A QB78 may actually be a better bet - sure it's bigger but much easier to get a bipod onto and if you're shooting off a bench it doesn't matter too much how heavy it is. The stocks are wood so much easier to cut down, or even get spares of because all the modders change the stocks.
    They respond very well to even a basic fettle, and you don't have any of that horrid plastic breech nonsense.
    Exactly what I did for my daughter.

Great advice there. Yep 6 is young but mad to shoot target with me.
    Thought of a cheap air rifle and cutting it down. As mentioned weigh isn’t an issue due to bench shooting.
    Thanks for the shout on bipod fitting to the ratcatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Exactly what I did for my daughter.
    Same here. Cut the stock down and barrel, lasted a while before using my ultra. They are a great rifle with some basic mods, loads of info on Chinese air gun forum.

SMK CP2. Light, small and pointable.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I like the Crosman 760 for youngsters. It only weighs 2 pounds and has quite a decent trigger. Plus you don't have to worry about barrels or breech's trapping fingers. And you have to pull back the slide to load and cock the action, then close it - which is safe and feels great !
    It can be a little fiddly to load pellets, but BB's are a cinch. I think the modern ones now have a five shot pellet clip. And you have variable power. Its pretty accurate too.
    Think Daisy did a version called the "Black Eagle". My sons one is probably ten years old and holds air perfectly and is quite powerful.
    Last edited by silva; 14-01-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."