Thread: Break barrel springers - what to shortlist?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Break barrel springers - what to shortlist?

So after many years without I've been looking round for an air rifle again for target shooting. Last shot regularly when I was 18 and having heard my nephew was getting his first springer for Xmas middle of last year has me hankering for one, especially after seeing him knock his first target down. I'm now in my 40's so it's been a long time!

When I started off as a kid it was with my Dads break barrel and then when i was responsible enough had the run of the grandparents farm with an ancient bsa. Then had a Sheridan blue streak c.1990 vintage before I left the countryside for uni.

I've spent a long while looking round and reading the various pro's and con's and arguments for and against break vs fixed barrel and I'm really drawn to a decent break barrel like a hw98 or LGV. Would there be any other break barrel springers in .177 that you knowledgeable folks would suggest go on the shortlist to try?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You answered your own question, if you are a break-barrel fan who wants fixed barrel weight and accuracy then the 98 is your man. Fit with a tinbum guide kit, relube and away you go...

Charlie,

The HW98, particularly when fitted with a short-stroke kit (ca. 10 - 15 mm) is a lovely rifle to shoot.

In stock form, it is (for me) too front heavy - I added some lead to the butt, and it now balances beautifully.

For me, the HW99S has all that is needed in a break-barrel rifle - compact, and highly accurate ; shame is that you will more often than not, have to do some firkling to sort out the 'galling issue'.

This firkling is not difficult, and does not take long, and you end up with a superb rifle.

However, as many chappies have pointed out, why should you have to firkle a brand new rifle, and why the f*** don't Weihrauch sort their sh!t out

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You answered your own question, if you are a break-barrel fan who wants fixed barrel weight and accuracy then the 98 is your man. Fit with a tinbum guide kit, relube and away you go...
    I'm looking at 98's at the moment too. A cracking air rifle indeed. Another good option is the 95 which shares the same action as the 98.

I was lucky enough to pick up a 98 in .177 a few years ago. I decided to fit a Welsh Willy kit in it and was amazed how well it shot. Beautiful firing cycle and stunning accuracy - I can match my S410 with it.
    Mine is standard stroke and I was lucky that one of the washers supplied with the kit gave me 11.4 ft/lb with exacts - perfect !

This is my all time favourite springer.I have got all the hw break barrels,tx, prosport,lgu and Century.....the 98 beats the lot for smoothness and accuracy. I particularly like the bull barrel - no muzzle flip.

Paul.

Get yourself a HW80 and have it sleeved is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Get yourself a HW80 and have it sleeved is another option.
    Great option - mine is a true keeper.....or a 98 or a 95 with an early barrel weight and short stoke it.

Cheers

Steve

I thought there might be one or two others to consider? Must admit the hw98 is by far the favourite in terms of looks but having shot none of the current range of rifles from any manufacturer I've no idea whether I'd actually like the feel of it once I try one out compared to others.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    So after many years without I've been looking round for an air rifle again for target shooting. Last shot regularly when I was 18 and having heard my nephew was getting his first springer for Xmas middle of last year has me hankering for one, especially after seeing him knock his first target down. I'm now in my 40's so it's been a long time!

When I started off as a kid it was with my Dads break barrel and then when i was responsible enough had the run of the grandparents farm with an ancient bsa. Then had a Sheridan blue streak c.1990 vintage before I left the countryside for uni.

I've spent a long while looking round and reading the various pro's and con's and arguments for and against break vs fixed barrel and I'm really drawn to a decent break barrel like a hw98 or LGV. Would there be any other break barrel springers in .177 that you knowledgeable folks would suggest go on the shortlist to try?

Medium Weight
    HW95
    Diana 31/ 34 Compact

Heavy Weight
    HW80
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Many thanks for your input folks, certainly cause for me to take a second look at something like the hw95 or 80 that maybe got passed over at first. Have to admit the Diana wasn't something I'd given much time either.

No love out there for the walther lgv though? Seems to have had some of the work done at the factory that you might otherwise be inclined to do yourself.

Many thanks for your input folks, certainly cause for me to take a second look at something like the hw95 or 80 that maybe got passed over at first. Have to admit the Diana wasn't something I'd given much time either.

No love out there for the walther lgv though? Seems to have had some of the work done at the factory that you might otherwise be inclined to do yourself.
    The Lgv is a fine rifle and shoots great with out any work need doing to it,apart from tweaking the trigger to your liking. The Hw's and Diana's need a bit of work doing to them before they shoot has nice as the Walther imo.
    Try and get your self to a Airgun club and try some of the members springers for handling and size.
    Atb
    Les..

Charlie, seen as though your in holmfirth, you can have a look at my hw95k if you like? Totally standard and very fun to shoot.

The LGV is ( in my opinion ) the best of the lot! Be a shame not to try one at least

Thanks folks, definitely need to get myself out and try a few by the sounds of it. The more the better!

Cheers for the offer of a look at your HW95 Ian. Might take you up on that in the not too distant future.

IMHO the only break barrel springers you will ever need in this country are the HW 99s in 22 and the Walther LGV in 177.

I have been buying and selling springers for the last twenty-five years trying to find a couple of keepers.

I love all Springer's -even the bad ones - but these are the two I find myself left with.

I have a two thirds length barrel weight/shroud on the 99s, but neither of my guns has been tuned.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.