Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Break barrel springers - what to shortlist?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I think they all have pins rather than bolts. Shame.
    The lightning has lovely proportions and handles like it looks. The shooting experience is a little worse than it ought to be.
    They've had barrel issues. I'm no fan of the breech design and lockup. I don't like the spring retention pin design or the raised scope rail. Triggers could be a lot better. Spanish quality overall isn't the best.
    BSA have fallen way behind, using age old design and just choosing to improve looks.
    I've owned both and I'd choose a cometa 400s before a lightning. Both can be fettled but even when sorted won't match some of the better offerings
    Not all Supersports had a pin, the Supersport Custom had the bolt and nut from the later Mercury/Challenger but for some stupid reason (probably Gamo penny pinching) they stopped using one, I real shame as the Custom model is a really nice rifle to use.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

95k tuned

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post

I had one of those for a While , Really nice accurate gun

Walther LGV Master Pro. / Hw 95 / AirArms Pro Elite.
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

Quote Originally Posted by maza View Post
    Walther LGV Master Pro. / Hw 95 / AirArms Pro Elite.
    In that order

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Looks good as well:

Where you just lucky with that stock as the grain pattern on it is amazing or did you pay extra for a better grade, as the photo's on the website you linked too seem a bit bland compared to yours (still pretty nice compared to some makers walnut).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If you don't want to spend a lot, with the same amount of tinkering as a new hw, I'd seriously consider a Remington express, wood stock in .177. My new hw95 needed a lot of work to get twang free and I now no longer own where as my rimmy is my main springer hunter. Couldn't wait to get rid of my grinding 99.

Have to say I like the size and feel of the HW99 when it's not gauling .
    My favourite sub £200 has to be the Walther Terrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Have to say I like the size and feel of the HW99 when it's not gauling .
    My favourite sub £200 has to be the Walther Terrus.
    If i could get past the poorly made internals I would agree with you Alan re the Terrus. Somehow Ive owned and moved on three in both calibre's and different stocks...I've really wanted to like but I've had many chinese and turkish rifles better made inside, much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    If i could get past the poorly made internals I would agree with you Alan re the Terrus. Somehow Ive owned and moved on three in both calibre's and different stocks...I've really wanted to like but I've had many chinese and turkish rifles better made inside, much cheaper.
    Same here ! I went to buy one but was put off by the Gunsmith (well respected tuner ) He told me that the trerrus was made in the far east and rebadged as walther
    Nothing wrong with that in theory as Fender, Gibson , PRS in fact everybody in the guitar world does this but with something as reasonably priced as an air rifle I would rather have the real thing

TBH I shot one and it was lovely I just got put off it ! would rather have it than the 99 I had though

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Same here ! I went to buy one but was put off by the Gunsmith (well respected tuner ) He told me that the trerrus was made in the far east and rebadged as walther
    Nothing wrong with that in theory as Fender, Gibson , PRS in fact everybody in the guitar world does this but with something as reasonably priced as an air rifle I would rather have the real thing

TBH I shot one and it was lovely I just got put off it ! would rather have it than the 99 I had though
    Strange you should mention such a thing as I was told many years ago by a well known tuner that he recons Diana parts are made in China as the quality of finish on them had gone right down hill.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Where you just lucky with that stock as the grain pattern on it is amazing or did you pay extra for a better grade, as the photo's on the website you linked too seem a bit bland compared to yours (still pretty nice compared to some makers walnut).
    It's a "standard" Fenix 400 Premier, but I have refinished the stock with boiled linseed oil.
    Last edited by vestlenning; 14-01-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    I like my hw80k , especially in .177
    now if I could get a .177 98 barrel for it that would be cool
    you can: https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de...oducts_id/8575
    HW 97 K .177 16 J - HW 99 S .22 16 J - HW 77 K .22 16 J - HW 80 K .22 16 J - HW 98 .177 16 J - Air Arms Pro Elite .177 23 J - Air Arms TX200 mkII .177 16 J - Air Arms TX200 mkII .22 16 J