Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break barrel springers - what to shortlist?

To throw another option into the mix there is also the often overlooked HW35.You can get a new walnut export for similar money around £350.
    IMO the best looking off the shelf break barrel out of what is available these days and shoots well too.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    HW80 with an HW98 barrel.

Looks better flush with the cylinder.
    Master Debater

99 / 95 / 98 / lgv

which one ?

HW35 is the one !

Not a bad rifle mentioned above.

All superb and final choice has to be down to personal preference -weight, feel, length, balance etc.

I do love the '98, but I also own all the other HW break barrels mentioned and they're all more than worthy.

HW98 test in the February issue of Airgunner.

And, Charlie, whether you get fixed up or not, if you possibly can, get yourself to The Boinger Bash at Nuneaton. The next one takes place on April 7 and 8. You'll meet lots of knowledgeable and friendly people in a relaxed and informal non-competitive environment. And get to see and have a play with many lovely springers.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks again one and all for your input, plenty of food for thought.

I'll keep eyes out for details of the boinger bash in April, Nuneaton's within easy reach and have plenty of time to plan ahead and get a day out booked on the calendar. Will also have to make visits to local clubs, found Redfearns and Emley Moor and also pay on the day at Halifax and Yorkshire SC in nearby area. No shortage of opportunities to get out and see what fits, feels good and shoots nicely.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

secretagentmole Guest
    Depends on your budget largely.

Any HW, allow for a tuning kit and modifications to be made. Sad but true, things are not what they used to be and HW quality can be as good as Westlake on a bad
    day (springs cut with angle grinder and not finished properly, swarf in grease in mechanism, trigger sears rougher than a badgers backside to name but a few problems, bad barrels have been known too).

Walther, never had one of their spring powered rifles but my original RM8 was woefully lacking in power.

The spring powereds I have had least problem with have been Hatsan. A 55 or 60 is a heavy gun, best in FAC admittedly (that is what it was designed for like the HW80), but still a nice rifle.

All good rifles the German springers. I wouldn't be without my 77 and 80.
    35E is nice too, although the barrel catch maybe a nuisance for some too.
    I don't own one, and I kick myself for not buying one years ago when I had the chance of a couple of second hand 35E's from my mates.
    Not too sure on what the open sights are like on new 35's. But the old 35s had the best open sights I've ever shot with.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    Thanks again one and all for your input, plenty of food for thought.

I'll keep eyes out for details of the boinger bash in April, Nuneaton's within easy reach and have plenty of time to plan ahead and get a day out booked on the calendar. Will also have to make visits to local clubs, found Redfearns and Emley Moor and also pay on the day at Halifax and Yorkshire SC in nearby area. No shortage of opportunities to get out and see what fits, feels good and shoots nicely.
    Warning !
    A visit to the Spring Bash carries its own complications.
    You'll end up wanting more than just ONE air rifle !

See you there !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Warning !
    A visit to the Spring Bash carries its own complications.
    You'll end up wanting more than just ONE air rifle !

See you there !
    It certainly does. I actually had 2 rifles when I arrived at the bash, went home with three and now have five with one more on order......since November

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    It certainly does. I actually had 2 rifles when I arrived at the bash, went home with three and now have five with one more on order......since November
    The force of The Boing is strong.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I like my hw80k , especially in .177
    owned 95 and a 98 plus various others including two hw77 in .177 and .22 plus a . 20 hw80 and a full venom hw80 lazahunter in .22

I do prefer the weight to be honest , now if I could get a .177 98 barrel for it that would be cool

Any HW...

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Get yourself a HW80 and have it sleeved is another option.
    Great option - mine is a true keeper.....or a 98 or a 95 with an early barrel weight and short stoke it.

Cheers

Steve

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Oh goody!

Yet another "which HW should I buy" thread.

Can we just make this a sticky please, with a ruddy big pink fluorescent arrow pointing to it, so anyone wanting to know what break barrel to buy can instantly find it.

Many thanks.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in