Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your top ten air pistols

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    FWB65
    Classy recoilless springer. They don't make anything like this anymore

Diana Original Model 6
    As above, but with an alarmingly long sightbase.

HW45
    Loud jumpy blatter. Gets a mention just for the lovely aroma it gives off when fired, reminiscent of lathe swarf and serious men in brown engineers coats drinking strong sweet tea.

Webley Senior
    Firearms quality plinker in a surprisingly compact frame. Apparently the Premier is better but I haven't handled or owned one.

Webley Junior
    Earlier versions are lovely and small, and even the smoothbores are surprisingly shootable. Obvously a cheaper version of the Senior but still well put together. Later versions slightly less so.

Umarex S+W 586
    Best revolver pellet pistol that Umarex make IMO. Great for IPAS and fast, accurate plinking.

Crosman 2240

The stock gun is mediocre, but it gets a mention for the vast scope for customisation. It'll never be worth what you pay for all that pimping, but you can make your own excellent, unique gun with some care.

'Webley' Alecto
    Just for it's combination of power and accuracy. One of the very few pistols I thought deserved a scope.

Tokyo Marui Hi-Capa 5.1
    Strictly speaking an airsoft gun, but with black gas aned heavy BB's can probably exceed 1 ft/lb so I'm including it. Semi auto like it outta be. Very customisable and with great aftermarket support. What the Tanfoglio and its clones wish they were.

Walther LP53
    Again a firearms quality pistol, also gets points for the (admittedly loose) James Bond association.
    Good deals with these members

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Here's mine, in no particular order.

S&W 586 Glossy Black - Build quality, accuracy, the air pistol Dirty Harry gun

Walther CP88 Competition - Fitted with walnut grips & the highly desirable target sights turn it into a very accurate pistol

Dan Wesson 715 - The upgraded DW is a beast with lovely rubber grips beats the earlier version hands down

Crosman 2240 - These are money pits! That said the amount of aftermarket bits & bobs mean you can build a totally unique pistol, which will never make it's money back. A real double edged sword.

Umarex Colt SAA - The cowboy gun we all had as children brought back to life for us older kids

Webley MKVI - A real replica of an iconic revolver

Schofield - Another beautiful replica that, unlike the Colt, has a decent set of sights. Surprisingly accurate for a smooth bore

Colt 1911 Blow Back - The Tangfolio Witness was the hottest pistol in town on it's launch. Since then there have been many other versions made. A truly iconic pistol beautifully brought to life.

Walther CP99 - A tidy little pistol when fitted with it's dedicated laser & silencer. Proper James Bond style

HW40 - Very accurate, great build quality, lovely trigger,
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

1. FWB Model 80 - Classic Match pistol, brilliant with weights under the barrell
    2. FWB 102 - Very accurate/unusual with two cocking levers
    3. BSA Scorpion .22- Beats the HW 45 all day long
    4. Pardini K58- Very smooth shooting pistol. Very low sight line
    5. Diana LP8 prefer it to the P5 magnum, which has a horrible first stage to the trigger
    6. FWB 65 - Along with the 80, the Rolls Royce of spring piston pistols
    7. Walther LPM-1 - Great build quality
    8. BSA 240 Magnum .22 - my Longest owned air pistol, March 1996
    9. Original Model 6 Fantastic shooting pistol
    10. IZH 53M - Quality at a low price

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Not sure that 10 is enough!- I'll do my best

1) The king- Crosman 2240. A hobby within a hobby. I defy anyone to say 'It's finished'

2) Crosman 600- nothing more to say- anyone into airpistols MUST HAVE one of these. It's the law!

3) Diana\Original's I have and owned

P5
    LP6
    Mod 10

Still got them

4) CO2-

Webley MKVI (pellet) very good
    Colt SAA (pellet) Excellent
    P08 (KWC) utterly superb beyond belief
    Colt M1911A1 collectors edition- very nicely detailed pistol- and original Colt walnut grips will fit with a little work

5) sorry but I have to go over 10 -

10m pistols-

other than the Mod10 already mentioned- a special nod to:-

FWB 65
    Alpha CO2
    Baikal mp-46m
    FAS604

And a lot more!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Feinwerkbau 100
    Feinwerkbau 90
    Diana/original Model 10
    Crosman 600
    Record champion
    Drulov DU10
    Daisy 717
    Lp53
    Diana model 1
    Tell 2

I enjoy shooting them all

Oh yeah, and all the older Webleys.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 15-04-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Agree with all the others mentioned but thought I'd add a couple of wildcards. The Gamo Center is a cheap, accurate underlever spring pistol which is lovely to shoot.
    Also the SMK XS26 pistol is way more accurate than it ought to be and great fun as it's full power

I can’t believe that no one has mentioned Falcon or EB20?!? (Unless I’m being blind???). Two great pistols. I was rather taken with the SW586. It was a hand-me-down and I thought it would be a ‘toy’ when I took it on - but it ain’t. The Twinmaster Sport is a good entry level target shooter, without breaking the bank. I rather fancy a HW45 and a Alfa Proj next...and yes, air pistols are great collector pieces without getting busted by her-in-doors lol
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    I can’t believe that no one has mentioned Falcon or EB20?!? (Unless I’m being blind???). Two great pistols. I was rather taken with the SW586. It was a hand-me-down and I thought it would be a ‘toy’ when I took it on - but it ain’t. The Twinmaster Sport is a good entry level target shooter, without breaking the bank. I rather fancy a HW45 and a Alfa Proj next...and yes, air pistols are great collector pieces without getting busted by her-in-doors lol
    You are correct, I have tried a Benjamin EB20; very nice with the compact appearance of a Webley Senior, with the convenience of a CO2 bolt action Crosman, but with a nicer trigger (which is not difficult ).
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Not trying to do a top ten, because it's too hard, but:

You have to have a classic Webley. Because: reasons. For me, toss-up between a nice Senior and an early Premier or something like an early straight-grip target.

Generic 'sporting" springers: BSA Scorpion. Diana model 5/LP5. Diana LP5M. HW45. Near miss: Competa Indian.

CO2 single shots: almost any (the Crosman/Benji/Sheridan guns are all a bit the same and share the same poor grip/trigger/sights issues).

CO2 non-replicas: Crosman 600. And those Drulov "semi auto" things.

CO2 replicas: CP88. And 5/686.

SSP non-match: HW40. Honourable mentions: Nemesis, HW75.

SSP match: FAS604. Honourable mentions: Air Match, Baikal 64, Daisy 717/747/787.

Match springers: FWB 65, 80. Diana 10. Honourable mention: Diana 6/6G/6M.

PCP: no idea, don't do that. Harper Wolf? Daystate?

Junk: all IGI Gun Toys (RO71,72, etc). G10. Gats. Etc.

I picked up a Webley nemesis the other day (GB made!) and after a clean up and lube, it’s running rather nicely. Not the most powerful air pistol out there, but a real joy to shoot!
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'