Thread: 10m Target Pistol Recommendations for Left Hander

Question 10m Target Pistol Recommendations for Left Hander

Hi there,

I'm looking for pistol recommendations for 10m target shooting. I'm currently using a HW40 PCA and shooting OK with it, but would like something more target orientated with anatomical grips (left handed).

I don't have a particular budget in mind, but probably around the £1000 mark, would consider second hand also. I'm not particularly fussy whether it's a SSP, PCP or even CO2.

I'd be really keen to hear recommendations from other left handed shooters, particularly regarding left handed use of cocking, loading, safety catches, etc. Obviously, grips can be changed, but basic operation would need to be ambidextrous for me.

Many thanks in advance for any help. Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave

I’m a ‘lefty’ too!

Shooting 10m with a Morini 162EI with factory left hand grip.

No problem using cocking lever with right hand (lever is mounted on left side).

One thing to be aware of is that the Morini 162ei has a left hand or right hand electronic trigger assembly in the grip so if you bought a right hand pistol you would need both a left hand grip and a left hand trigger unit which gets costly.

wellhouse0 Guest

10m

i personally like the steyr LP5/LP50 multishot, this way you can go in for multi shot comps as well as single. Most target pistols tend to be left or right handed grips. Steyr grips are about £140 and very easy to change over, effectively get 2 pistols for the price of one plus a second grip. (might even pick up a secondhand second grip). On this you don't have a cocking lever, putting in the 5 shot mag loads it. Goes in from the left making it easy for lefties to load. (tilt to the right and push mag in).

I bought a Walther LP400 as the cocking was on top, not one side or the other.
    As an upgrade from where you are however, I would go for a Steyr LP2 with LH grips.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Try and find a club & have a chat with the (LH)users to see if you can have a go as some will suit you more than others.I have an LP10 & a SAMK11 as a back up as I like the feel and the ability to angle the grips how I want them.Morinis have a great electronic trigger but grip movement is more limited.Tried an FWB but did not like the trigger or balance- but that’s me you’ll be different so try and get to handle different ones.
    ATB
    James

Many thanks everyone for the good information and comments so far. I wasn't aware of the Morini electronic trigger being 'handed' so really good to be aware of that.

Cheers,

Dave.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    The Benelli Kite has an ambidextrous cocking lever; a member at Rivi has a L/H Rink grip on one - I'll talk to you next time you're up shooting.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    The Benelli Kite has an ambidextrous cocking lever; a member at Rivi has a L/H Rink grip on one - I'll talk to you next time you're up shooting.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike, I liked the look of the Benelli but didn't know someone had a L/H version - lucky. Will look forward to chatting next time - are you the Mike with the beard? Guessing so.

Cheers for now,

Dave.

Another lefty

If you go for a Morini 162ei. I have two boards and two left hand large grips for sale.
    also have left handed grips for
    Steyr EVO 10e.
    Pardini K12.
    SAM.
    Feinwerkbau P8X.

Usually buy right handed guns. Then buy a left handed grip. More often than not. I sell the pistol with the original right hand grip.
    I would not worry about where the cocking lever is. Shot and owned virtually all the top match air pistols. You soon adapt.

If your happy to spend £1000 on a pistol you shouldnt go far wrong. As long as you know what your buying. A 10 year old LP10 might not be such a good deal if it needs a service and two new cylinders.
    Last edited by nickm marshall; 09-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Someone at my range has a steyr LP2 with a left hand grip for sale its about 2 years old but he has only put about a tin of pellets through it if you are intrested.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post
    If you go for a Morini 162ei. I have two boards and two left hand large grips for sale.
    also have left handed grips for
    Steyr EVO 10e.
    Pardini K12.
    SAM.
    Feinwerkbau P8X.

Usually buy right handed guns. Then buy a left handed grip. More often than not. I sell the pistol with the original right hand grip.
    I would not worry about where the cocking lever is. Shot and owned virtually all the top match air pistols. You soon adapt.

If your happy to spend £1000 on a pistol you shouldnt go far wrong. As long as you know what your buying. A 10 year old LP10 might not be such a good deal if it needs a service and two new cylinders.
    Hi Nick, What a shame my hands are so small - I'd need medium, possibly even small grips, otherwise a deal could have been made here.

Appreciate the advice also. Many thanks,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    Someone at my range has a steyr LP2 with a left hand grip for sale its about 2 years old but he has only put about a tin of pellets through it if you are intrested.
    The LP2 may be of interest but would depend on pricing, grip size, condition, etc. Could you perhaps supply some more info, or put me in touch with the seller?

It's early days in my search just now - my plan was to home in on some possible options and then take a look at the Shooting Show in Feb to handle some of the candidates. However, I could be tempted before then by the right gun at the right price.

Thanks a lot for your reply - helpful bunch on this forum

Cheers,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
    Will look forward to chatting next time - are you the Mike with the beard?

Dave.
    He is the ugly one but that doesn't narrow it down.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    He is the ugly one but that doesn't narrow it down.
    Much
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Just a quick word on the Benelli Kite. A left-handed grip costs about £100 so I have both grips for mine, as family members who are right-handed also use it in competitions. The grips are quick and easy to change (one allen screw only) so it's always worth considering, particularly on re-sale value.
    Hope that helps.
    David