Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW100S Review and comparison to BSA R10SE

HW100S Review and comparison to BSA R10SE

Hi all,

I’m sure this rifle has been reviewed to death as it’s been around for so long, but just giving my thoughts on it since I’ve had it for about 6 weeks now.

Now this gun was a replacement for a BSA R10 SE that I bought from new. The BSA had problem after problem such as leaking all its air, the pressure gauge not working and only putting out around 10.2 at the muzzle despite the shops test certificate stating it was putting out 11.4. This rifle went back to the shop a total of 5 times in the 6 weeks that I owned it and on the 5th occasion I’d had enough and done a straight swap for a new Weihrauch HW100S in .177

I have to admit, to look at I much preferred the R10. It had nicer lines and better quality stock which was very easy on the eye. That was the only good thing about it!

Although the HW100 is not as nice to look at, it is better in almost every way than the BSA. I chose the longer S model as I was concerned that the shot count on the K in .177 may be a tad low. I’d heard it puts out around 4 Mags of 14 which for hunting would be ideal but for shooting targets, I wanted more. My rifle is happy to get through 8 magazines before it needs a refill which is pretty decent really. I didn’t even get that from the R10 despite the fact that it had a whacking great buddy bottle on the front!

Due to the low power problems I had with the BSA I checked the HW100 straight away using a Skan Chrono. I was pleased to see that it was putting out 11.3 with H&N FTT, 11.6 with H&N Baracuda Match and 11.5 with RWS Superdomes. I tested numerous other pellets such as JSB’s, AA etc etc but none come anywhere near as close with accuracy.

The rifle is zeroed at 30 yards and will happily group around the size of my small finger nail at that range. I’ve used it out to 50 yards which is the furthest the indoor range will allow and the groups are not much bigger. This was tested indoors and using a bipod.

I didn’t think I’d like the side cocking lever compared to the traditional bolt on the R10 but I have to admit, it is very slick in action. Is easy to find without coming off aim and is very smooth to operate. The magazine system is outstanding. Pellets are loaded into the 14 shot magazine with no effort and can even be done one handed. I’ve used various pellets of all shapes and sizes and they all fit perfectly and do not move around at all once pushed in position. My R10 had a constant problem the pellets would be pushed into place but could move backwards and forwards slightly. I quickly discovered that if you tried to cock the gun while pointing the muzzle upwards even slightly, the pellets would have moved backwards in the magazine. When you tried to push the bolt forwards it would crush the pellet causing a jam. This would then cause the magazine to get stuck in the gun and took brute force to remove it. Both BSA Mags were the same and this happened more often than not using H&N FTT pellets. The problem didn’t occur at all using larger pellets such as the Baracuda Match. At the time I just learned to live with it and had to tilt the muzzle downwards when cocking, to avoid the pellets moving backwards. The Mags are made of metal and have no moving parts to go wrong, unlike most other manufactures that seem to use rotating plastic Mags. You also get two which is a nice touch. Another good thing about the HW100 is their system prevents you from double loading 2 pellets into the barrel as the magazine will not rotate until the shot has been fired.

My HW100 is fitted with a Harris bipod and a fairly hefty scope. These both add to the weight of an already heavy rifle and this may be a problem for some. For me this is mainly used for shooting targets so not really a problem. If you were looking for a hunting rifle I’d suggest that the Karbine version would be the better option.

In order to fit a bipod I had to purchase a sling swivel stud. Rather than screw into the wood, you can buy a swivel stud that replaces the front bolt under the fore end of the stock. This worked perfectly and cost a tenner on a well known auction site!

Filling the HW100 is a doddle. Just remove the plug from the end of the cylinder and push the full probe in the hole. Open the valve and fill to 200 bar. The gauge on the gun seems very accurate, matching the gauge on the dive bottle perfectly, unlike the one on my BSA that took days for the needle to move. This was replaced under warranty but was never that accurate even with the new one. The BSA would also leak air around the probe until it got to a certain pressure and then it would seal. The HW100 doesn’t seem to leak any air from the second you open the valve on the dive bottle. No big deal really, but just shows how one company can make things so precise and the other can’t. My friends BSA Ultra does the same thing when filling the gun so it’s certainly not a one off.

I have read that sometimes the power can creep up on the HW100 once it’s run in, but having fired around 2000 pellets so far it seems to have settled down nicely, and having checked this again on the Chrono, the power is much the same as the day I bought it.

Although I am very happy with the HW100 it isn’t perfect. I did take it back to the shop the day after I bought it as the silencer seemed to be stuck on the barrel. I tried all sorts to remove it and ended up taking a load of skin off my hand in the process! The Weihrauch silencer would come apart but the cone refused to come off the end of the barrel. I took it back to the shop and got them to do it for me rather than force it and potentially cause damage. 5 minutes later that sorted the problem and greased the thread to prevent it happening again. I suspect that thread lock and been used for some reason when it was assembled. Not sure if this would have been done by the shop or Hull Cartridge that import the rifles.

The only other slightly annoying thing is there is a very slight amount of movement between the stock and the receiver. You can feel it when handling the gun but it doesn’t have any impact on accuracy. I will probably remove the receiver and put a tiny bit of tape or one of the thin pads that you get inside a tin of pellets, inside the stock to take up any spare room.

This review is in no way meant to dissuade people from buying a BSA rifle. I fully understand that any gun can come with problems and I may get some down the line with my Weihrauch. I really wanted to love the R10 which is why I gave the shop so many chances to put it right but it got to the point that I lost all trust in the gun and started to resent buying it. I’m sure plenty of people out there have a full powered R10 that’s had no trouble at all.

Sorry for the lengthy review and thanks to anyone that’s taken the time to read it, but hopefully it may help someone that’s thinking about purchasing either rifle in the future.

All the best and happy shooting...

Mick

Great write up mate.
    I've not long had my 100KS and I can echo nearly everything you've said.
    It's a great gun, your spot on I get 4 mags from mine from a charge and it's well in the yellow on the gauge.
    I'm not sure what you mean by movement between the action and the woodwork ?
    Is it up and down or forward and backward?
    That sounds bad to me have you checked the screws are tight?
    The action is held pretty well in the stock on the 100 I'm surprised at your findings
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

do you guys get much variant in power with this cold weather?

I've not chronoed mine but I noticed no change in poi this morning when it was 2 degrees
    Why ?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by dm800 View Post
    Hi mate,

I have checked mine on a Chrono both inside at around 20 degrees and also outside in 3 degrees. The power had dropped by around 0.25ft.lb.

It made no difference what so ever in real terms though.

Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedTripleR View Post
    Hi all,

I’m sure this rifle has been reviewed to death as it’s been around for so long, but just giving my thoughts on it since I’ve had it for about 6 weeks now.

Now this gun was a replacement for a BSA R10 SE that I bought from new. The BSA had problem after problem such as leaking all its air, the pressure gauge not working and only putting out around 10.2 at the muzzle despite the shops test certificate stating it was putting out 11.4. This rifle went back to the shop a total of 5 times in the 6 weeks that I owned it and on the 5th occasion I’d had enough and done a straight swap for a new Weihrauch HW100S in .177

I have to admit, to look at I much preferred the R10. It had nicer lines and better quality stock which was very easy on the eye. That was the only good thing about it!

Although the HW100 is not as nice to look at, it is better in almost every way than the BSA. I chose the longer S model as I was concerned that the shot count on the K in .177 may be a tad low. I’d heard it puts out around 4 Mags of 14 which for hunting would be ideal but for shooting targets, I wanted more. My rifle is happy to get through 8 magazines before it needs a refill which is pretty decent really. I didn’t even get that from the R10 despite the fact that it had a whacking great buddy bottle on the front!

Due to the low power problems I had with the BSA I checked the HW100 straight away using a Skan Chrono. I was pleased to see that it was putting out 11.3 with H&N FTT, 11.6 with H&N Baracuda Match and 11.5 with RWS Superdomes. I tested numerous other pellets such as JSB’s, AA etc etc but none come anywhere near as close with accuracy.

The rifle is zeroed at 30 yards and will happily group around the size of my small finger nail at that range. I’ve used it out to 50 yards which is the furthest the indoor range will allow and the groups are not much bigger. This was tested indoors and using a bipod.

I didn’t think I’d like the side cocking lever compared to the traditional bolt on the R10 but I have to admit, it is very slick in action. Is easy to find without coming off aim and is very smooth to operate. The magazine system is outstanding. Pellets are loaded into the 14 shot magazine with no effort and can even be done one handed. I’ve used various pellets of all shapes and sizes and they all fit perfectly and do not move around at all once pushed in position. My R10 had a constant problem the pellets would be pushed into place but could move backwards and forwards slightly. I quickly discovered that if you tried to cock the gun while pointing the muzzle upwards even slightly, the pellets would have moved backwards in the magazine. When you tried to push the bolt forwards it would crush the pellet causing a jam. This would then cause the magazine to get stuck in the gun and took brute force to remove it. Both BSA Mags were the same and this happened more often than not using H&N FTT pellets. The problem didn’t occur at all using larger pellets such as the Baracuda Match. At the time I just learned to live with it and had to tilt the muzzle downwards when cocking, to avoid the pellets moving backwards. The Mags are made of metal and have no moving parts to go wrong, unlike most other manufactures that seem to use rotating plastic Mags. You also get two which is a nice touch. Another good thing about the HW100 is their system prevents you from double loading 2 pellets into the barrel as the magazine will not rotate until the shot has been fired.

My HW100 is fitted with a Harris bipod and a fairly hefty scope. These both add to the weight of an already heavy rifle and this may be a problem for some. For me this is mainly used for shooting targets so not really a problem. If you were looking for a hunting rifle I’d suggest that the Karbine version would be the better option.

In order to fit a bipod I had to purchase a sling swivel stud. Rather than screw into the wood, you can buy a swivel stud that replaces the front bolt under the fore end of the stock. This worked perfectly and cost a tenner on a well known auction site!

Filling the HW100 is a doddle. Just remove the plug from the end of the cylinder and push the full probe in the hole. Open the valve and fill to 200 bar. The gauge on the gun seems very accurate, matching the gauge on the dive bottle perfectly, unlike the one on my BSA that took days for the needle to move. This was replaced under warranty but was never that accurate even with the new one. The BSA would also leak air around the probe until it got to a certain pressure and then it would seal. The HW100 doesn’t seem to leak any air from the second you open the valve on the dive bottle. No big deal really, but just shows how one company can make things so precise and the other can’t. My friends BSA Ultra does the same thing when filling the gun so it’s certainly not a one off.

I have read that sometimes the power can creep up on the HW100 once it’s run in, but having fired around 2000 pellets so far it seems to have settled down nicely, and having checked this again on the Chrono, the power is much the same as the day I bought it.

Although I am very happy with the HW100 it isn’t perfect. I did take it back to the shop the day after I bought it as the silencer seemed to be stuck on the barrel. I tried all sorts to remove it and ended up taking a load of skin off my hand in the process! The Weihrauch silencer would come apart but the cone refused to come off the end of the barrel. I took it back to the shop and got them to do it for me rather than force it and potentially cause damage. 5 minutes later that sorted the problem and greased the thread to prevent it happening again. I suspect that thread lock and been used for some reason when it was assembled. Not sure if this would have been done by the shop or Hull Cartridge that import the rifles.

The only other slightly annoying thing is there is a very slight amount of movement between the stock and the receiver. You can feel it when handling the gun but it doesn’t have any impact on accuracy. I will probably remove the receiver and put a tiny bit of tape or one of the thin pads that you get inside a tin of pellets, inside the stock to take up any spare room.

This review is in no way meant to dissuade people from buying a BSA rifle. I fully understand that any gun can come with problems and I may get some down the line with my Weihrauch. I really wanted to love the R10 which is why I gave the shop so many chances to put it right but it got to the point that I lost all trust in the gun and started to resent buying it. I’m sure plenty of people out there have a full powered R10 that’s had no trouble at all.

Sorry for the lengthy review and thanks to anyone that’s taken the time to read it, but hopefully it may help someone that’s thinking about purchasing either rifle in the future.

Mick
    sold both my hw100,s because i am springer only. to make a lie of that i have just bought a bsa ultra. mad or what. i must have put 10,s of thousands of pellets through both my hw 100,s without a single jam truly a realy remarkable pcp. i know its a bit of a marmite gun but i would get another if i was not always on tenterhooks waiting for a seal to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dm800 View Post
    Yes, perfectly normal in pcp,s. Most of mine on average loose about half a ftlb

Personally I think most BSA, s sell on there looks (R10, Lightning etc) There build quality ain't great and some like the R10 have been plauged with problems, having said that I do love my Ultra.

great review

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedTripleR View Post
    Hi all,

Mick
    great review I'm having a few problems with my Coyote which as you know has many BSA parts and I've had the leak problem on filling and yesterday I had loads of jams, next time I shoot I will try keeping the barrel down when loading but I think I'm going to buy the HW100t but with the laminate stock, thank you once again

Good comparison review. It’s a pity you had an unreliable R10, there are quite a few about unfortunately. I bought a used Mk2 eighteen months and it has never let me down. Extremely accurate and is a pleasure to use. I’ve had problems with quite a few new rifles over the years, irrespective of make, so these days I always prefer to buy used from a private seller and try before I buy.

2x HW100

You said it all I have had most PCP’s over the last few years and now own a KT and an S. Also a Hw44
    Hw45 can’t be beaten on build quality and Accuracy.

Excellent Review

Excellent review with some very pertinent points made - thank you OP.

I'm on my 4th HW100 - well actually 3 HW100's and a full length 101. (yes they do exist or did.)

Accurate at 40+ metres compared to my very consistent R10 Elite Mk2 which was only good to 30 metres, no matter what I tried.
    The 101 single shot was an absolute joy - every bit as good as both of my FTP900's - I only sold it cos I hate Beech stocks! Silly me!

100% recommend anyone to try the HW100 - especially the full length if its targets you prefer.

Final comment - Marmite yes indeed but I don't just buy a rifle on looks, its ability that counts and the HW100 has it in spades.

Appreciate the reminder from the OP - cheers!

Jack
    Steyr LG 110 2014; Steyr Pro X; Anschutz 9015 HP ; SCR Exile .177; FX X barrel .177 Aeron Streamline; Daystate Delta Wolf .177; Tau-Brno MK300 .177; Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 .177

hw100

I have the HW100t full length the weight can be fixed, just get an A & M cylinder, way lighter. Just a point make sure the screw in stud is not too long, some are and can damage the cylinder I shortened mine to the same length as the original screw. They are great rifles still the best overall after all these years.
    mk2 rapid.22

Does your HW100S have the newer stock or the old one?

Do HW100s still have too many instances of seals failing?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.