Thread: What Scope recommendations?

What Scope recommendations?

Hi Guys,

I've gone and pulled the trigger and got myself a PCP rifle to do "HFT and PLINKING".

Please recommend to me the make & model of rifle scopes for me to consider for these two disciplines.

I have to say I do like the features of "Side Focus Parallax Adjustment and the Illumination of the crosshair".

I look forward with interest to receive your replies.

My regards,

Mike

Different eyes see things differently, scopes have different lenses & different lens coatings so a scope that is crystal clear to you might be blurred to me & vice versa.
    NEVER buy a scope without first looking through it to see how your eyes like the glass.
    There is also a huge price range for what seems the same spec & multiple reticles (crosshair) to choose from.

The Hawke Vantage SF IR is a very nice scope indeed models 14290/14291 on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Halesowen Kid View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've gone and pulled the trigger and got myself a PCP rifle to do "HFT and PLINKING".

Please recommend to me the make & model of rifle scopes for me to consider for these two disciplines.

I have to say I do like the features of "Side Focus Parallax Adjustment and the Illumination of the crosshair".

My regards,

Mike
    It's very much a personal choice I'm afraid. What I prefer may not suit you at all. The answer is to try a wide range of options and see what works best for you. You can spend less than £60 or over £600. Typically magnification of 3-9 or 4-12 are popular and objective size up to about 44mm would be about right.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Thank you Guys your help is being appreciate....

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The British Shooting Show at the NEC is coming soon and just around the corner from you.
    I'd get along to that and take a good look through everything with glass in !
    “An airgun or two”………

[QUOTE=Steve C.;7409575 Typically magnification of 3-9 or 4-12 are popular and objective size up to about 44mm would be about right.

Steve C.[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys,

Thank you for replying to my request, and I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me further as to the pro's & con's of a scope with the specifications as Steve has suggested.

3-9 or a 4-12 with an objective lens of about 44mm.

Thank you....

Hi Guys,

Thank you for replying to my request, and I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me further as to the pro's & con's of a scope with the specifications as Steve has suggested.

3-9 or a 4-12 with an objective lens of about 44mm.

Thank you....
    Ok .....in HFT the scope settings cannot be altered after the first shot, so in order to give the optimum distances that give you a reasonable depth of field (ie in focus) lower orders of magnitude are used, together with a mid range of crystal clear focus. If that makes sense!! for example targets are from 8-45yds so you might find that by focusing on about 25yds and using a mag of say x8 enables you to see a wide range of targets with blurring at the short distances and at the extreme ones. then being pretty clear at the others. The exact set up is very personal and can require changing from time to time as things improve. The smaller objective lens can also help in this and aid in keeping the scope closer to the barrel. It is as ever, what works for you.
    You will probably not get everything exactly right the first time, but you'll have a lot of fun finding out. Beware it's very addictive

Find a local club and enjoy,
    Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Well put Steve.

The most i've paid for a HFT scope is £1600 and the least £100 (i put most of my trophies on the shelf with the £100 scope). I'm currently shooting a 10x42 Sightron but they are starting to get quite expensive now.

IMHO there is only one scope i would recommend to a new shooter who hasn't had the chance to try a few out. It ticks so many HFT boxes straight from the off. My mate had a couple and i've managed to blag one from him to try out on my second rifle.
    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...2-x-40-ft-moa/

Mike , if you fancy a day out at my club (we have a full HFT AND FT course out) please feel free to drop me a message on here. I have a few HFT scopes you could try for 'real' and mates have a mixture of others so you would probably shave 6 months off your learning curve..... in fact that applies to any shooter who fancies a dabble.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Hi Guys,

My regards,

Mike
    Try a range of scopes of 3X12X40 vareity and decide for yourself . HFT requirements are very minimal TBH since your max shooting distance is only 45 yards and so long as the glass is of decent quality and gathers a good amount of light then you are winning.

A.G

Thanks for all your advice lads & ChrisC that is a kind offer....

Hi Guys,

Today I called in at my local RFD to have a look at various makes and models of scopes for my R10 SE .177 Carbine. I cast my eyes over quite a few but I rather liked and felt comfortable with the Hawke Airmax range which I've listed below.

Airmax 30 SF 3-12 x 50 AMX IR
    Airmax 30 SF 4-16 x 50 AMX IR
    Airmax 30 SF 6-24 x 50 AMX IR

Also what make of scope mounts would you use and would they be single or double clamp style?

My intension is to use it for HFT, Plinking, General Target, so which one would you choose and why?

Again I look forward to your replies and advise.

Cheers,

Mike
    Last edited by Halesowen Kid; 11-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Hi Guys,

Today I called in at my local RFD to have a look at various makes and models of scopes for my R10 SE .177 Carbine. I cast my eyes over quite a few but I rather liked and felt comfortable with the Hawke Airmax range which I've listed below.

Airmax 30 SF 3-12 x 50 AMX IR
    Airmax 30 SF 4-16 x 50 AMX IR
    Airmax 30 SF 6-24 x 50 AMX IR

My intension is to use it for HFT, Plinking, General Target, so which one would you choose and why?

Again I look forward to your replies and advise.

Cheers,

Mike
    Well, you're going to be spending in the £300-400 pound range with those and they've got rather a large objective lens. If you don't mind not having side focus there's a Hawke scope in the Airmax range with the same ret but with a 40mm front lens......and it's about £150.

Steve C.

(ps I'm not a salesperson for Hawke)
    BASC

Having owned a Sightron S1 as Chris has mentioned, I can only say that it is a truly great scope and well worth the asking price. The Hawke range contains loads of various options as well. I would recommend keeping to below a 40mm objective so you can keep your mounting options low. If shooting a PCP, Sportsmatch 2 piece mediums, springer Sportsmatch 1 piece medium. If using a springer make sure you knock in the arrestor stud and locate it in the appropriate blind holes contained at the rear of the action. Doesnt matter with a PCP as no recoil forces to shift scope.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !