Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronometer Recommendations

Question Chronometer Recommendations

Hi all

Am looking to get a chronometer. Have around £100 to spend and am looking for recommendations on which ones give the best value for my buck.

Ian

If you only have one airgun the combro is fine & perfectly accurate if a bit slow.

If you have several airguns then a V frame chrono is better & my choice is the competition electronics Pro-chono digital about £120.

Hi Ian,

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

I have the F1 Chrony, along with many others on here. Generally happy with it. They can, it seems, be a little temperamental at times....often a battery or lighting issue.

My next one will be the Skan. It costs about double but they're reportedly superb and I really wished I'd pushed the boat out years ago. I think they're £199 direct from Skan.

I can't remember the makes / model names, but many people seem very happy with the ones from Blackpool Air Rifles.

A lot will also depend on your expected use. As in, will you just be measuring velocity at the muzzle or downrange also?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

My Combro has served me well on all sorts of rifles for the last 3 years and, it's still going strong.

I recently tested it against my Chrony and, it's spot on. It's easier to use than the Chrony as well.

It cost me £49 - you can get a good few pellets for £51

All of the above.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    My Combro has served me well on all sorts of rifles for the last 3 years and, it's still going strong.

I recently tested it against my Chrony and, it's spot on. It's easier to use than the Chrony as well.

It cost me £49 - you can get a good few pellets for £51
    Or an alignment tool.....

Thanks for the welcome and the reply's!

I will be checking out sites on the web over the next few days and will let you know what i end up with.

Ian

I bought a Combro recently and I’ve compared it to the Skan and it gives practically identical results. I paid around £40 where as the Skan costs a couple of hundred!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Or an alignment tool.....
    Not if you're careful with it

I've shot a Chrony but, never shot a Combro.

All of the above.

I wasn't happy with my Skan, admittedly bought second hand and not new, but it worked for a few months then stopped reading, sent it back and told beyond repair, it's rusted inside.

Not sure if it's a common fault or previous owner had let it get damp/wet.
    Either way, I replaced it with a chrony f1 which can be temperamental with weather conditions (light) but seems very accurate.

I have a Prochrono and a Combro, a mate has recently bought a Skan and I have another mate who has the Chrony.

The Prochrono is excellent and I did plenty of research before I got it. It performs well in all lights, it can be used with a laptop and it's easy to use. On the downside it only shows fps not ft/lbs, it can't be used with an android device and you need an extra lighting kit to use it indoors.

The Combro is an excellent little piece of kit, fine for PCP's but not so good on springers due to the recoil. They can be used indoors and they're nice and compact. I don't use it now as the Prochrono does virtually everything I need.

My mate bought a Alpha Chrony and lighting kit last year and it very rarely gives a reading, it's really light sensitive even with the lighting kit. It cost just over £150 in all and he doesn't bother using it now, waste of money. From what I've seen I wouldn't bother and look elsewhere than this make.

As most know the Skan is a great piece of kit, another mate has just got one and tests his guns in his shed with it. It shows both FPS and ft/lbs and can easily be interfaced with a computer, it's easy to use and comes with comprehensive instructions that anyone can follow. The Skan has recommendations that it can only be used indoors and it's expensive, it also needs to be used on a firm rest that allows good alignment between the muzzle and scope.

With that all said if I was going to get another chronograph I'd go for the Caldwell Ballistic as it has everything I need. It can be used indoors and outdoors as it comes with a lighting option, it's not light fussy, it's easily interfaced wirelessly with an iPad or iPod, it gives comprehensive readings and the menus look easy to use. However, if you want the all singing, all dancing options the price might put you off and the Prochrono may well be your best option.

Good luck with your choice.

"The Combro is an excellent little piece of kit, fine for PCP's but not so good on springers due to the recoil. They can be used indoors and they're nice and compact. I don't use it now as the Prochrono does virtually everything I need." (Quote)

I have been using a Combro exclusively on springers for about five years now, with absolutely no problems. It is only held on with a rubber band, which adequately absorbs the recoil. Absolutely fine for keeping legal, comparing pellets etc, but not quite the answer if you need downrange readings.

Chrono-R2A from polish manufacturer LMBR (https://chrono.lmbr.pl ) . Built in IR LED light = works every time, simple to use, robust!

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Chrono-R2A from polish manufacturer LMBR (https://chrono.lmbr.pl ) . Built in IR LED light = works every time, simple to use, robust!
    I've just this morning ordered one from Blackpool Airrifles after researching the subject.
    I have owned and used a Combro for several years but it is awkward to use on my HW77 as the muzzle isn't round so locating the unit is a fiddle. It also has to be refitted after each reloading cycle.
    On my HW100 it is fine and easy to use.
    The R2a is not light sensitive, it can be used downrange and it does all of the calculations for you. It can also be used without having to assemble a Meccano like construction to fit light shades or lighting rigs like the Chrony F1.
    It is slightly over your budget at £139.00 but worth paying the extra in my opinion.

PS If you want to take a gamble there is a Chinese company called "Holy weapon" ;-) selling similar units to the F1 on the bay for £64.99.
    Last edited by Scubashot; 09-01-2018 at 07:23 PM.

I have the R2 which I bought directly from the manufacturer nearly 2 years ago.
    Never had a problem with it, works on rifles and pistols. Very good value for money.
    Rob

Ian,

+1 on the 'Polish' R2 & R2A chrono's.

My R2 is now my go-to chrono'.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ