Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW35 parts interchangeability?

HW35 parts interchangeability?

Having picked up a battered but complete 1960s 35e to resurrect I have now plumped for a slightly later 35 in bits (incomplete). I will therefore need to get hold of some parts for both.

Ignoring the cylinder and back block, are all other parts interchangeable between old, not as old and current models? It doesn't look like much has changed since 1951!

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I have exchanged actions between HW35E (long barrel, with safety), HW35L (long barrel), and 2 regular versions (short barrels, one with safety). Match triggers seem equal on all versions, so I reckon the other parts are also exchangeable. My 35's are from before '75 though.

Think the only difference as you say seems to be the trigger block but even they seem interchangeable. Just fixed 3 rifles, one had no safety at all, one had "half" a safety and the other the standard full safety. The older ones have different width grooves for scope mounts.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The internals will fit either old or new, the triggers will swap with just the cage being slightly different for the units fitted with a safety .All barrels will swap & all share the same size cocking link.Early ones don't have breach shims but can be fitted.
    Old rails are 13mm & some are short, new are 11mm.Early block has 2 holes later have 3.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The internals will fit either old or new, the triggers will swap with just the cage being slightly different for the units fitted with a safety .All barrels will swap & all share the same size cocking link.Early ones don't have breach shims but can be fitted.
    Old rails are 13mm & some are short, new are 11mm.Early block has 2 holes later have 3.
    That means if you fit a 13mm cylinder to a 11 mm block or vice versa you get a free recoil stop for the scope!

For a bit of fun, HW35 very old and very new (not to scale)!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks chaps. I think I am going to enjoy playing with these 35s

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    For a bit of fun, HW35 very old and very new (not to scale)!
    They've ruined the look of the thing!

average,

Your mention of the cylinder indicates that you know about the change of transfer port size around 1980 (sure someone else can give a precise date) when the piston seal changed from leather to synthetic. Just thought I'd mention it here for the benefits of anyone else reading this thread with a similar query.

As Danny's pic shows, there have also been changes in the iron sights. I do not know if all the rear sights interchange. Clearly the fronts don't, going from an early dovetailed blade to a (1960s onward?) slide-on hooded unit with interchangeable elements.

And it also shows how elegant the early ones were. Myself, I think the 60s and early 70s ones usually have the nicest blend of features, looks, and build/finish quality. And I don't even really like 35s.

Thumbs up

The 35 is my favourite HW offering, I think IJ has a gazillion of them!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

John
    First picture, second one down. That is what a 35 should look like.

I have a sneaky feeling that I might really like my HW35s once they are resurrected!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

John
    Thats because the beggars breed.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Thats because the beggars breed.
    I have worked on a dozen in the last couple of months, learned a lot about what springs to fit from different suppliers as they do not produce the same power output. Guys down here seem to like 5 inches chopped off the barrels.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    First picture, second one down. That is what a 35 should look like.
    That would be this one, I bought it for a mere £100 as the lads wife was playing hell up that he had a gun in the house (They had kids!)..

This is the one above it, No mention of Weihrauch, but marke EUSTA, I was told on the Woc that it was a fake!!

This is my fave though!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/