Thread: Crosman Town & Country Junior 1949-51

Crosman Town & Country Junior 1949-51

Been on my bucket list along with the Senior (which is still on the list). Fun to think this could have been made the year I was born, 1951? Had to grab it cause it has not been refinished, just nicely aged, and really nice Elm stock. Many were maple. The original sight was included but he set it up with the period peep sight, perfect for my eyes. Copy of original manual. It says 2 pumps for short range and 4 pumps for light game. I put 5 pumps and it explodes! Will have to wait for winter to clear to give me a chance to fully test it. Was their “cheap” rifle at the time $14.95 but all brass, that would change to steel in future models. Great addition to the Crosman Collection.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jb0TR

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Been on my bucket list along with the Senior (which is still on the list). Fun to think this could have been made the year I was born, 1951? Had to grab it cause it has not been refinished, just nicely aged, and really nice Elm stock. Many were maple. The original sight was included but he set it up with the period peep sight, perfect for my eyes. Copy of original manual. It says 2 pumps for short range and 4 pumps for light game. I put 5 pumps and it explodes! Will have to wait for winter to clear to give me a chance to fully test it. Was their “cheap” rifle at the time $14.95 but all brass, that would change to steel in future models. Great addition to the Crosman Collection.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jb0TR
    Nice acquisition! Very sweet.

Very nice. Has always been one of my favorites.

The manual is even rarer than the gun.

The one safety issue to be aware of is that the hold down nut can easily come loose and with that the gun can fire without pulling the trigger. So, it's important to check that this nut is fully tightened or use some loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Very nice. Has always been one of my favorites.

The manual is even rarer than the gun.

The one safety issue to be aware of is that the hold down nut can easily come loose and with that the gun can fire without pulling the trigger. So, it's important to check that this nut is fully tightened or use some loctite.
    I assume you mean the narled circular nut under the stock? Thanks for the heads up. The manual is not original, the previous owner obtained a copy. Are maple stocks more common?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I assume you mean the narled circular nut under the stock? Thanks for the heads up. The manual is not original, the previous owner obtained a copy. Are maple stocks more common?

Yes, note that the trigger is pinned to the stock. If the stock separates from the receiver, the trigger will disengage from the hammer. It is this safety issue that caused major redesigns to the 160 and 140 rifles.

Understandable that it's a repo. Might even have been made from my copy.

No idea on the stock wood. The 109/110 were only made from 1949 to 1951, as I recall. In 1952, it was replaced by the model 120 which was a pneumatic version of the CO2 113/114 rifles. There were significant distinctions in finish for 1949. The 110 I have is clearly a 1949 gun. Yours looks like it's a 1950-1951 gun.

One of the reasons I've always been fond of the Jr. is that it is all brass, is highly accurate, and with just a handful of parts it can be serviceable for many decades even in harsh environments. The only real thing to watch out for is keeping the front pivot pin lubed and the other pump parts lubed. Crosman oil, or MAC-1 Secret Sauce only! Note that all the internal valve parts are exactly the same as the 111-120 models. Same with the rear sight. The open sight are the 109-120 guns are all the same.

A ton of brass in the Model 108!