It’s a very real affliction! Mine started many years ago when I wanted a Webley Tempest more than I wanted my next breath. I would have been around 13 and I had been to the gun shop in town with my Dad and peered through the glass at the Webley pistol range on display on their Perspex stands. I asked for a Tempest for Xmas and even put money towards it and quite happily agreed it would be my only present. Xmas morning came and there were about 4 presents sat there. The first 3 contained the usual pants/socks etc but the last one.....that last one was just the right weight. A little long perhaps but I figured it was just packaging. Unwrapping it reavealed of all things an (El) Gamo Centre. Wtf I had never expressed any desire for one As a youngster in the 80’s an Air Pistol had to have a Webley badge or you weren’t cool. You also weren’t cool if you had a Webley Junior I remember. This was in the days where you took your air pistols out over the fields.....you can’t stuff a Gamo Centre in your pocket it’s massive (to a kid).
I never did get the Tempest I yearned for,not until 20 years later till I bought one myself. 30 years later I’ve overindulged and have full blown Webley disease.