Thread: Bringing back a old “barn find” stock

Bringing back a old “barn find” stock

I recently acquired a old Crosman 102 probably circa 1929. It structurally seems in good shape but it looks like it spent 75 years in a barn. I hate vintage guns that have a refinished stock that looks new. What’s the best way to get the stock looking good but still retaining the age patina? Here it is now and this is the good side.

Last edited by 45flint; 09-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.

I would clean back the dirt with methylated spirits and 0000 wire wool and reoil

It will be clean but still look old
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I would clean it up but don't ' go too hard, then apply some oil
    Donald

I had PRECISELY the same dilemma when tackling a pre WW1 BSA.

Random searching online didn’t really come up with any particular definitive solution to cleaning up, but at the same time still retaining the age.
    Lots of …“This is what I would try” (Even tho’ whoever “he” is, he’s never actually done it) and “Why not start with the coarsest grit sandpaper you can find!”, or “Get out the garden fencing stain” type suggestions, (Ok,..I’m talking a BIT tongue in cheek here) but none of it sat quite right with me somehow.

Having spent all my life making, fixing and restoring various things from furniture to bikes, I’ve got a pretty good idea what works and what doesn’t, even if its something I’ve never tried before.
    So this is what I decided to do,…………………

(Of course this is for an oiled/waxed stock, not a varnished one. If so,.. I would “Nitro Mors” it off first, NOT sand!…….EVER!)

Wrap the stock completely in pure cotton wool, not TOO thickly, but making sure everything is evenly covered.

Then "Mummify” it in clean, white COTTON sheet/cloth strip, wrapping it quite firmly and making sure the whole package fills any contours, nooks and crannies in the stock. Tie up, zip tie or pin it up firmly.

(For this next bit I apologise to the environmentalists! I take GREAT care in my everyday life to look after this earth, but unfortunately sometimes…… “Needs must“)……..

Soak the wrapping in cellulose thinners, being sure that its soaked right through all over, (This is why you don’t want the cotton to be TOO thick. Thin cotton = less thinners, unfriendly fumes etc).

Hang it outside in the direct, lovely “warm sunlight“ for a few hours ‘till dry (Sorry! NOT ideal right now!).

You’ll find the “poultice” has drawn out a great deal of old oil, stain etc and has stained/turned brown. After making sure the stock is thoroughly dry, repeat the process as necessary, (With CLEAN cotton wool and “bandage”) until the desired amount of grime has been removed, or the wrapping seems to be no longer getting stained and drawing anything out. My stock came out almost WHITE!,.. after three rides through the process. Despite a hundred years of gun oil from the action and used 10w40 off someone’s garage floor doing its worst!

When completely dry, I introduced it to a foam backed sanding pad (“Via telephone!”) extremely gently all over to lightly remove any high spots, raised grain, nibs or rough spots. In my opinion, it’s NEVER a good idea to sand an antique stock for restoration purposes much or even.. AT ALL if you can help it… unless you want to make it LOOK “Restored”!!!

Carefully clean out the chequering with toothpicks and/or an old nylon tooth brush or similar.

Something else I personally hate on a gun is WOOD STAIN! Almost ALWAYS make gun timber LOOK stained! Despite my stock turning quite pale after the cleaning treatment, there’s enough age and remaining natural oils and “contamination” in the wood to respond/darken excellently with stock oil alone.
    I used 3 coats of “Tru Oil” knocked back with 0000 “washed” steel wool between coats when dry, (White spirit to remove “rust proofing” oil on the wool) .
    The “finger” application method is probably the best, (You can wear thin latex gloves) unless you have some particularly fine, lint free cloth, as ANY kind of lint off a cloth at all starts to quickly spoil the overall finish.
    Finally a coating with Birchwood Casey stock finishing wax.

For me tho', the wax gave a TOO shiny, almost gloss varnished effect, so I knocked it back very gently with the 0000 steel wool again just to dull the finish, not actually remove any wax.

The end result was stunning! Just what I was after! NOTHING had been taken away from the stocks history and life story. All the little knocks, scratches and dings were still there. It has a lovely chestnut brown colour with a soft sheen lustre and the feint remains of the odd deep but “natural” looking oil stain. Just as if it were used regularly for the last 100-or so years but always put away after a caring quick buff with a little wax and a cloth.

Apologies!….. but not posted any pictures here before, but as we virtually all seem to be slowly getting the hang of it, I’ll do my best to put up some accompanying pics shortly.