Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using expanding foam to fill stock.

Using expanding foam to fill stock.

After asking how to smooth out my sussex armery jackel the other day on here someone suggested filling cheekpiece with rags to stop the hollow sound when gun is fired. Now here is my question. Can it be filled with expanding Foam or will the expansion of the foam crack my stock? Keen to hear off guys who have used it and it worked ok. Regards chris

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    After asking how to smooth out my sussex armery jackel the other day on here someone suggested filling cheekpiece with rags to stop the hollow sound when gun is fired. Now here is my question. Can it be filled with expanding Foam or will the expansion of the foam crack my stock? Keen to hear off guys who have used it and it worked ok. Regards chris

If you were to pump it full and the foam was still liquid and you put the butt plate on then yes you could possibly crack it if it builds enough pressure if there are flaws in the stock or rip the screws out. it depends on the area and the pressure the foam exerts. . The foam expands a good bit so you could fill it a quarter of the way and let it set then top up and see what it goes to .add a little at a time.

and don't try and clean spills while its still liquid . you will be there all day and get it everywhere .

I know they use it in packing of fragile items but that would be a measured amount in the bag before sealing the boxes up. we used to get cylinder heads sent in boxes that used the expanding foam to protect the contents .
    Last edited by bighit; 09-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Filling stock with foam

The foam will not create such pressure that it will crack a stock. I would remove any excess after it has cured, not whilst it sticky unless you have some acetone. The acetone may however melt the plastic stock.

Not sure if it will stop the hollow sound. I would expect it too.

I did use some 3mm sticky foam once and that helped.

Neil

And try not to get it on your hands... Takes days to get the stuff off..
    A workmate of mine thought it was funny to put some on my head, had to shave my hair off to remove it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    The foam will not create such pressure that it will crack a stock. I would remove any excess after it has cured, not whilst it sticky unless you have some acetone. The acetone may however melt the plastic stock.

Not sure if it will stop the hollow sound. I would expect it too.

I did use some 3mm sticky foam once and that helped.

Neil
    This is a plastic stock. Just incase you did not know about jackels.

Stick to the rag method, Deadens the sound better and much easier to remove if you need too.. Col.

rags or old fashioned foam rubber - dont worry about the weight, they are front heavy anyway it may also improve the balance.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

if you use the expanding foam, spray the area with water first, it makes a huge difference.

Look for dynamat or similiar it’s used as extra sound deadening in cars,self adhesive and easy to work with

I had one years ago and packed it with rubber carpet underlay. Worked a treat, and didn't cost nothing. Cadge a bit of off cut from your local carpet shop.

Bubble wrap packed tight in there can do the trick and barely weighs anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    rags or old fashioned foam rubber - dont worry about the weight, they are front heavy anyway it may also improve the balance.
    Thats another reason i want to do it also.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Thats another reason i want to do it also.
    You could try and put thick plastic bag inside then try the expanding foam. If its not what you want it will be fairly easy to remove then.

just stuff it with bubble wrap
    Del
    Just do it
    My second language is gibberish

Line the internal of the stock with cling film. If you fill it without you may affect the resale value and foam may go where foam irls not meant to. Similarly. Wrap the action in cling film so no spillages contact either the stock or the action.

Who says fill it in one go. Fill it in dribs and drabs.

To me rags and getting some weight in there to balance the front heavy rifle makes sense. Balance is very important. A heavier rifle feels lighte if it is balanced than a front heavy lighter one. Brain is easily fooled with this trick. And the rags will also absorb a little recoil or nudge.

Expanding foam isnt the best idea. Also rubber underlay...it is soft...weighty and can be rolled. Again easy to extract.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill