Thread: Using expanding foam to fill stock.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    rags or old fashioned foam rubber - dont worry about the weight, they are front heavy anyway it may also improve the balance.
    Thats another reason i want to do it also.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Thats another reason i want to do it also.
    You could try and put thick plastic bag inside then try the expanding foam. If its not what you want it will be fairly easy to remove then.

just stuff it with bubble wrap
    Del
    Just do it
    My second language is gibberish

Line the internal of the stock with cling film. If you fill it without you may affect the resale value and foam may go where foam irls not meant to. Similarly. Wrap the action in cling film so no spillages contact either the stock or the action.

Who says fill it in one go. Fill it in dribs and drabs.

To me rags and getting some weight in there to balance the front heavy rifle makes sense. Balance is very important. A heavier rifle feels lighte if it is balanced than a front heavy lighter one. Brain is easily fooled with this trick. And the rags will also absorb a little recoil or nudge.

Expanding foam isnt the best idea. Also rubber underlay...it is soft...weighty and can be rolled. Again easy to extract.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I filled my lightning stock with expanding foam. As Steyr says, clingfilm inside and out, don't try and do it all at once, watch out for overspill. Leave the buttpad off until you've trimmed the cured foam. Test some first to see how much it expands.
    It did stop the horrible resonance I was getting. Not sure if underlay would have done as good a job.
    Good deals with these members

Hi Wilba,

I filled my stock with expanding foam (slowly and in stages) with the butt plate off. Allowed it to cure and trimmed. Defiantly deadened the noise, but lost interest in the military look and put the action back in to its original wood 'woodsman' stock. As others have said, be careful with this stuff on your hands and use sparingly as it expands a fair bit!!

Chris
    Falcon Raptor (FN12) Lighthunter - Walnut FX Cutlas - EB XVI - HW35 'Karbine' - BSA Airsporter MK4 - Webley Mk III - Relum Tornado - FWB Sport 127 Deluxe - Crosman 1322 custom - Sussex Armoury Jackal - BSA Superstar - Logun Eagle (All .22) and HW80 in .25

Think i will go the underlay route. Thanks for your help all. Regards. Chris