Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good tune for an HW85k ?

Whats a good tune for an HW85k ?

Hi,

Had a go with a friend of mines HW98 that had been tuned before he bought it. It was a total revelation - very slick, hardly any recoil, yet powerful and a nice quickly shot thumbnail sized group on a fence post 15 yards away, (it was his fence).

After years on the dark side, I had forgotten how successful airgun stalking is one of the most satisfying and skilled of all the shooting sports. At 25yds every move is critical and forces you to relearn your fieldcraft and be a proper stealthy hunter !

Have found a hardly used Mk1 hw85k, which was my favorite Weihrauch as a youngster. Its beautifully made and shoots nicely and probably isn't even worn in yet. But compared to the 98, you can tell the 85 is doing a lot of work. The 98 action was very lazy and unstressed and easier to shoot accurately.

What tuning modifications or kits would you recommend please ?

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 14-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

If you feel you must, a TBT kit will really change its manners for a very small outlay.
    B.A.S.C. member

If you like the way your friends HW98 shot try and establish what work it has had. It is very similar internally to yours and might respond in a similar fashion. Also bear in mind the good manners are in part due to it having a long barrel with a heavy sleeve.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

secretagentmole Guest
    Any old iron????

& there was me thinking you wanted to take it out dancing

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Any old iron????
    Heartache

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    If you feel you must, a TBT kit will really change its manners for a very small outlay.
    Cheers for that. Would you go for the short stroke extension - or the standard kit ? Its a .22. Whats the pro's and cons.

The chap with the 98 is working in Scotland at the moment. He isn't really an airgun spotter so didn't remember who the chap he bought it off, had it tuned by.

[QUOTE=angrybear;7414153]& there was me thinking you wanted to take it out dancing [/QUOTE

Fair comment. Its much easier to find a good woman than a Mk1 Hw85

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Any old iron????
    Start easy, Smoke on the Water
    Pete

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Start easy, Smoke on the Water
    But they don't float...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Short stroke nose ~10mm, tinbum properly fitting guides.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Any old iron????
    What about 'The Happy Wanderer" by the Obernkirchen Children's Choir, well they are German and it was the best selling song in 1954,

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Short stroke nose ~10mm, tinbum properly fitting guides.
    I've never owned the early '85, John, but were they 25mm?

You will know better, as you will have, no doubt, owned / worked on these, but if it's not a silly long stroke maybe best left with the standard dimensions?

My main concern would be over the cutaway at the top of the rear of the piston to create clearance for the scope ramp. My guess would be that, at the very least, a tune should ensure that there are no sharp edges left in this area and an application of high content moly paste to protect against any potential wear.

I think the V-Mach kit includes a replacement (exchange?) piston with a synthetic band at the rear?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've never owned the early '85, John, but were they 25mm?

You will know better, as you will have, no doubt, owned / worked on these, but if it's not a silly long stroke maybe best left with the standard dimensions?

My main concern would be over the cutaway at the top of the rear of the piston to create clearance for the scope ramp. My guess would be that, at the very least, a tune should ensure that there are no sharp edges left in this area and an application of high content moly paste to protect against any potential wear.

I think the V-Mach kit includes a replacement (exchange?) piston with a synthetic band at the rear?
    26mm mate.. well, mine is Same stroke as the 95 - so benfits in the same way. Remember this thread ?
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-on-an-HW85-95

You are right the cutaway piston isn't a great design feature, but the screw in end block is so much nicer than the silly square pop-out tiles of the latter variants....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    26mm mate.. well, mine is Same stroke as the 95 - so benfits in the same way. Remember this thread ?
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-on-an-HW85-95

You are right the cutaway piston isn't a great design feature, but the screw in end block is so much nicer than the silly square pop-out tiles of the latter variants....
    I hadn't remembered it, JB.

But I do now!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!