Thread: Swop barrel on a HW breakbarrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is interesting as the replies cover replacing the barrel / breech block as a unit. Whenever I see a 'barrel replacement' post I automatically think of just replacing the barrel proper i.e. the tube the pellet goes down, not including the breech block into which the barrel is fixed.
    I must assume, therefore that if someone wished to swap calibre from, say, .177 to .22 on a break barrel the job would just entail swapping the barrel/breech block plus, most likely, an enlargement of the transfer port. Maybe an adjustment to the mainspring as well.
    Cheers, Phil

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I must assume, therefore that if someone wished to swap calibre from, say, .177 to .22 on a break barrel the job would just entail swapping the barrel/breech block plus, most likely, an enlargement of the transfer port. Maybe an adjustment to the mainspring as well.
    Cheers, Phil
    Also removing and reattaching the cocking arm.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Also removing and reattaching the cocking arm.
    ah, yes ... I wondered where I had gone wrong!
    Cheers, Phil

This is interesting as the replies cover replacing the barrel / breech block as a unit. Whenever I see a 'barrel replacement' post I automatically think of just replacing the barrel proper i.e. the tube the pellet goes down, not including the breech block into which the barrel is fixed.
    Cheers, Phil
    As the .22 is supposed to be more air efficient ,i would think one would not have to enlarge the transfer port (in either .177 to .22 or visa versa) but certainly an adjustment of the mainspring.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Cheers, Phil
    I wouldn't even touch the transfer port.
    Mainsprings are the same for whichever calibre air rifle. Well it is with these German springers, 9 times out of 10 changing barrels shouldn't put the rifle over the limit.