Thread: Vintage Oil Bottle Fun

Vintage Oil Bottle Fun

Was looking for a vintage oil bottle to include in a case with a 1920s Webley Mark 2 Target. Given at this time my instructions on the box mention no Webley oil and this gun would have been purchased is the US, I turned to US period oil. Just picked up for $9 on the bay a 1 oz. corked bottle of 3 in 1 oil still full and in the box. I’ve looked and these bottles appear in catalogs circa 1920s. What fun is the bottle still came wrapped in a 3 in 1 dictionary which contained 20+ pages of uses of the oil. I picture the page on guns and it lists the gun manufactures that included a sample of their oil with their guns. A who’s who list of American Makers at the time. By the way, one comical use of the oil was as a Mosquito repellent! Good to know if your shooting on a warm summer night. Lol

Slideshow of about with about 5 pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2fQG7

Hello,

Sounds like a bargain price for a nice little period bottle which should compliment your cased Mk2 Target perfectly.

Don't forget to share some pictures when the set eventually comes together.

Regards
    Brian

Just nabbed a pellet tin today but I won’t be showing a pic of the that one. It a green Webley tin which I’m sure in the UK are everywhere, but over here I don’t see them everyday. Maybe not as period as the oil but it nice to be Webley. If I come across a 1920s period pellet tin or box I may go for it later.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Was looking for a vintage oil bottle to include in a case with a 1920s Webley Mark 2 Target. Given at this time my instructions on the box mention no Webley oil and this gun would have been purchased is the US, I turned to US period oil. Just picked up for $9 on the bay a 1 oz. corked bottle of 3 in 1 oil still full and in the box. I’ve looked and these bottles appear in catalogs circa 1920s. What fun is the bottle still came wrapped in a 3 in 1 dictionary which contained 20+ pages of uses of the oil. I picture the page on guns and it lists the gun manufactures that included a sample of their oil with their guns. A who’s who list of American Makers at the time. By the way, one comical use of the oil was as a Mosquito repellent! Good to know if your shooting on a warm summer night. Lol

Slideshow of about with about 5 pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2fQG7
    Hi Flint what a nice little find, it's nice to know that all those gun makers used to put a little bottle of 3in1 oil in with their guns we learn something new evert day. that's something else to look out for in the gun world.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Flint what a nice little find, it's nice to know that all those gun makers used to put a little bottle of 3in1 oil in with their guns we learn something new evert day. that's something else to look out for in the gun world.
    They must have put those small sample bottles in so many things at the time. At any day on the bay you can see 10 for sale. Small little green bottle, no label but 3 in 1 embosed in the side. I was also surprised that all these manufacturers recommended 3 in 1. Absent are players like Winchester, they sold their own oil, their cans can go for real $. Most people just don’t associate 3 in 1 with guns I didn’t either till I started looking. Like you said you learn something everyday.
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-01-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Hi,

Although obviously I would much prefer to include exact period accessories with any boxed or cased pistol, this is not always possible and I believe less important with consumables such as pellets or oil cans etc. Later items could and often were added at a later date which in my opinion doesn't detract too much from the attractiveness of the set.

Webley marked pellet tins would not have been available during the exact period that the MK2 Target was produced, so paper packaging would be period correct, but not in my opinion as attractive in a cased pistol as the later tins.

As you say, nice to include Webley branded items even if not exactly period correct.

Regards
    Brian