Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Alecto

Webley Alecto

Any thoughts on the Webley Alecto ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagem View Post
    Yes, I want to buy one shot one a couple of times and I'm impressed, but I'm certainly no pistol proficianado

I have one. Bit of a handful but very accurate even with irons. Nice and quiet even without a mod fitted (mine's an early Mk so doesn't have the mod threading). 1 pump for close range, two or three (more usually 2) for longer range. Mine likes RWS Hollow Points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagem View Post
    Great power and accuracy which are obviously all elements of a great gun. Unfortunately for me I found it rather bulky and i'm not over nuts on the plastic finish although I do have an HW40 which is excellent. I also have the HW75 and i'd love to see the external beauty of that combined with the power of the Alecto. That would for me be the perfect combo.

I had one in .177 and .22 (but no more):

- Comfortable weight and balance
    - Chunky anatomical grip is rather good
    - Single pump is good for short range targets. Very easy cocking effort
    - Two pumps is optimum for longer range targets. Moderate cocking effort
    - On some variants the front sight rotates to help with the point of aim (for different pumps)
    - Three pumps is pointless (too much effort for little gain)
    - Multiple trigger adjustments are effective.

Things I did not like (on both calibres):
    - Takes a couple of shots to get the trigger to settle in at the start of every shooting session (if you look at the internal 'cast alloy' parts you will understand why it could be somewhat variable).
    - Spare seals are not listed by Chambers, only the entire valve and cylinder are listed (£120 plus post last time I looked ).

Worthwhile at a bargain used price The brand new price gives one year warranty on the guts/seals..
    .then you are on your own
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Great power and accuracy which are obviously all elements of a great gun. Unfortunately for me I found it rather bulky and i'm not over nuts on the plastic finish although I do have an HW40 which is excellent. I also have the HW75 and i'd love to see the external beauty of that combined with the power of the Alecto. That would for me be the perfect combo.
    The HW40 is a gem and a definite keeper (albeit basic grip). The HW75 trigger is exquisite, but the need to cock the hammer drove nuts so it had to go!
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Only ever held one, not tried it properly on targets.

But, for the sake of being contrary....

Big, ugly, silly looking comic book thing. Like a Desert Eagle, but even stupider. Compare with an HW45, or old BSA Scorpion. Also a Crosman 1377/1322 will do almost everything the Zoracki "Webley" does at about half the price.

I'm biased. I dislike (a) huge pistols with rails and funny big grips with those ghastly finger grooves, and lasers and red dots and all that junk bolted on (b) any "Webley" not made in Birmingham.

It's probably OK. But I reserve my right not to like it.

Did I mention the Crosman 1377/1322?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Only ever held one, not tried it properly on targets.

But, for the sake of being contrary....

Big, ugly, silly looking comic book thing. Like a Desert Eagle, but even stupider. Compare with an HW45, or old BSA Scorpion. Also a Crosman 1377/1322 will do almost everything the Zoracki "Webley" does at about half the price.

I'm biased. I dislike (a) huge pistols with rails and funny big grips with those ghastly finger grooves, and lasers and red dots and all that junk bolted on (b) any "Webley" not made in Birmingham.

It's probably OK. But I reserve my right not to like it.

Did I mention the Crosman 1377/1322?
    ...And a lot more pumping I had a 1377 and frankly the number of pumps required to get a full power shot took a lot of the fun out of it. Two pumps on an Alecto and you're there on around 5 fpe...meanwhile, back at the 1377...

For ease of use on paper punching, I like the Daisy 717. Nice long pump handle on the side, one stroke and its ready to go.

zoraki/alecto

I purchased a new Zoraki/Alecto a few months ago. I was fairly impressed with it overall, the quality is pretty good and it's a good design. Pretty difficult to get the third pump into it, but two pumps is enough for most circumstances. The killer for me was the fact I couldn't hit anything with it. I tried and tried to shoot the thing accurately. Over the course of a few days I went back to it many times, never managed to shoot it any where as accurately as my Gamo Compact. Now idon't claim to be any kind of sharpshooter but I had better results with my HW45! I took the gun back to the shop where it was checked over and no problems were found. So I stuck with bit for about 300 more pellets, but just couldn't get on with it. I just couldn't shoot it remotely well. Now I'm positive that there was nothing wrong with that particular gun, and the problem was me. In the end I conceded and took it back again and managed to p/x it against a new Baikal IZH 46. This I could shoot amazingly accurately straight from the box. So I would suggest trying one before buying. John.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

alecto

from all the adjustment you would think it would be terrific but i never felt comfortable with it. excellent build quality though. in my opinion not in the same league as my hw75.

Just had a second hand one in .22 come in and was quite impressed as I don't know of any other SSP that gives that combination of power and accuracy. If you want superb accuracy the Baikal IZH 46 M but not the power. Alecto very easy to put in one pump which gives 3 ft lb, two pumps not too difficult at 5.5 ft.lb.! As mentioned you can get a little extra with 3 pumps but much more cocking effort.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have one in .177 that I initially had a bad barrel with poor shot groups.

It took me 2 years to work this out, Highland Outdoors sent me a new barrel which has completely transformed the pistol, now v accurate.

Credit to them for customer service out of warranty.

I hate to damn it with faint praise but I have one and all I can say is that it is ok.

It shoots powerfully and accurately. It is a bit bulky but for me - and I know that this is purely subjective - it is just plain boring and I don't enjoy using it.

Had one for about a year and it shot really well. Mine was in 177 and it was plenty powerful enough to shoot 20m targets
    at the range. I only sold it to help fund a more target style pistol but it has changed hands a couple of times at the club and
    is still being used in postal comps. Good gun for the money. Tim

Only had my Alecto a few days but already I’m punching holes within 1” at 30yards, so I’m a happy chappy.

I also own the HW75 and I struggle to compare them both, I think the HW75 has a much more refined feel as the build quality and use of all metal components make it just seem like a more expensive item, and at 10-20m its very accurate punching holes, but that’s where the Alecto takes over as the power will just push the range up much further.
    Yes the Alecto feels a little cheaper but i’d Be more than confident taking rats 🐀 out with it, and I wouldn’t with the HW75.
    Also the ability to use Picatinny mounts on the Alecto make it much more friendly for accessories and a screw in moderator is a great accessory to have.

My only gripe with the Alecto is the grip, as an ambidextrous grip for me would have been much better, but that’s probably because I’m a lefty.
    FX ImpactX, AirArms HFT500, 2xAirArms S200 MK3, Webley Omega, Weihrauch HW95, HW97K, HW98, HW99s, AirArms S200mk3, Gunpower Stealth, Weihrauch HW40pca, HW45 Black Star, Webley Alecto, Crosman 2240, Artemis pp700sa, Swiss Arms SA P1911, Walther CP88 competition, CP99