Thread: Original 5 Pistol

Original 5 Pistol

I have been given one of the above pistols by a friend who doesnt have an airgun licence, it fires but the pellet doesnt clear the barrel so I assume it needs a new seal it would be good to get some information about this gun. I have attached a picture of one the same as I cant upload a picture.

hi,i have owned one of these for over 40 years and have had to change the piston seal several times,they tend to disintergrate with age.replacement is a very straight forward job.power is not brilliant for a pistol of this size but they shoot well and have a decent trigger.cheers greasemonkey..
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Very good pistols, these are sometimes used in the 'Muscle Power League' (MPL) Competitions (see the General Airgun Section).

Check the condition of the breach seal, if that is not leaking then it sounds like the main piston seal (assuming the spring/cocking effort is strong).

You will see many similar, and maybe some literature/manuals on the Vintage Diana Airguns website (Network 54).

'Original' was the export brand, Diana was the domestic German brand.

The date is stamped on the left side of the cylinder, near the rear sight.

It has decent power and a strong recoil, it's more advanced sibbling the Mod 6 is recoiless (identified by pinion covers on the sides of the cylinder).

HTH
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Idiots Guide posts 95 and 96 refer to the strip procedure.
    Cheers, Phil

ogri,

The Diana/Original Mod. 5s are surprisingly accurate, and have an excellent trigger.

I have a 1948 Mod 5, and a 'modern' 5G, and I really like shooting them.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Idiots Guide posts 95 and 96 refer to the strip procedure.
    Cheers, Phil
    Well done, I was not aware of THAT useful guide
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

If you were only to own one spring pistol, the old Diana 5/5G is a good candidate. Better than almost anything you can buy now, except an LP8 or HW45 (which means £260+ new).

Fairly powerful, not too heavy, well balanced, decent trigger, good build quality (everything bar the seals lasts forever), decent accuracy. Arguably a bit boring, but in a good way.

The old (off-white) piston seals turn to cheese over time . Time-consuming, but not hard, to strip, clean out the bits of Brie and Stilton, and change them. The new piston seals (red or blue) do not turn to cheese.

Thanks for for the info I will look at sorting it when I get I seem to have done alright getting this I think a lot of people I know will have guns lying about they want rid of here in Scotland due to the new Licence laws.

licence

I know this a bit off topic but how much are you charged for your licence?
    Thanks Jenny Dipple