Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikel plating webley's question

Nikel plating webley's question

After seeing a nickel plated Senior in a recent thread I was wondering if any of you guys have had a Webley pistol nickel plated and if so, any problems on re-assembly ? I like the look of them and have a couple of rough blue ones here which I would like to have plated, if it's straightforward and not too expensive which I'm guessing it would be to both.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Webley pistols

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    After seeing a nickel plated Senior in a recent thread I was wondering if any of you guys have had a Webley pistol nickel plated and if so, any problems on re-assembly ? I like the look of them and have a couple of rough blue ones here which I would like to have plated, if it's straightforward and not too expensive which I'm guessing it would be to both.
    Sorry I can not comment on the plating issue, but I wondered I you know if the Stirrup catch on old Webley Pistols is cast then machined; or just machined from steel. I am thinking about repairing one that has the thumb part broken and missing!
    Thanks Jenny
    ps I wondered if all the pistols threads would need re-tapping after plating.

this one started life as an enamelled premier.biggest job by far was preparing the metal surface for nickel plating.that black stuff was covering a very poor finish indeed unlike the blued models.i blocked the barrel from both ends with plastic plugs to avoid accuracy problems.only problem i had on re- assembly was the large diameter thread for the barrel pivot/spring retainer assembly was tight.i overcame this by putting a little fine valve grinding paste on the threads and kept screwing in the assembly in and out until the thread came right.plating was done as a favour by a company who's vehicles i used to maintain...will put up a couple of poor pics but they dont show the pistol at its best due to the artificial light reflecting off the polished surfaces....https://i.imgur.com/RLfI901.jpg...https://i.imgur.com/LVCRHga.jpg
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 14-01-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add photo's
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

nickel plating

Plating, if you want a mirror bright nickel finish the metal has to be that good that youre plating, if its pitted or marked you'd have to either polish all the marks out yourself to a mirror finish or pay a metal polishing company to do it, you would need all the threads protected otherwise nothing would screw back together, because of plating build up, may be the inside of the cylinder somehow protected to stop plating, ideally find a plating company that will copper plate it then polish that, then nickel plate it, with plating its everything about whats underneath and prep , it doesnt fill holes or pitting and its just makes them look worse, yes you could re tap out threads if you knew what the thread was but if you had screws plated which i doubt. you probably couldnt run a die-nut down most as they'd be too small with nothing to hang onto, the guntrade has used some strange threads over the years. as above grinding paste works well but does take alot of time.
    Last edited by hawkdriver; 14-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    this one started life as an enamelled premier.biggest job by far was preparing the metal surface for nickel plating.that black stuff was covering a very poor finish indeed unlike the blued models.i blocked the barrel from both ends with plastic plugs to avoid accuracy problems.only problem i had on re- assembly was the large diameter thread for the barrel pivot/spring retainer assembly was tight.i overcame this by putting a little fine valve grinding paste on the threads and kept screwing in the assembly in and out until the thread came right.plating was done as a favour by a company who's vehicles i used to maintain...will put up a couple of poor pics but they dont show the pistol at its best due to the artificial light reflecting off the polished surfaces....https://i.imgur.com/RLfI901.jpg...https://i.imgur.com/LVCRHga.jpg
    That's a great looking Webley - I've always fancied a nickel plated Bsa Improved Model D. I did see one once that must have been done years ago and then used a great deal afterwards, the plating was faded where it was held, but otherwise it was good. Though it must be quite fiddly doing the sights properly etc.

Quite a few years ago there was a cadmium plated Webley Service for sale. The vendor claimed had been a special order from Webley for use in the tropics.....
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Nickel plated Webley

I have a preww2 nickel pated tin plate Junior. When it came to me it had the original nickel plating [which was a bit rough] so I stripped it and had it replated for the princely sum of £10. If you decide to replate yours a few points to remember. be very careful not to damage the stampings by cleaning with emery paper, after plating holes are smaller and diameters are larger so be sure to ask your plater to blank holes threads and in particular the barrel joint mating faces. It should look quite spectacular when finished, mine is on permanent display and is a regular talking point.Regards Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

greasemonkey, very nice looking gun ? Thanks for the replies, definitely going to get it done. The other thing I've seen done to these old Webley's is colour case hardening, end result, stunning on the one I saw.

greasemonkey, very nice looking gun ? Thanks for the replies, definitely going to get it done. The other thing I've seen done to these old Webley's is colour case hardening, end result, stunning on the one I saw.
    Would love to see one case hardened!

just had one of my Sheridan pgp pistols done which was in a pretty p**s poor condition
    had no issues with any thread and the valve retaining nut screwed in with no issue
    I have a few Dans and Bengi's that have had there original finish polished off so may have more plated
    https://i.imgur.com/AwVfInu.jpg

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Would love to see one case hardened!
    I would imagine that a Webley would have to be case-hardened coloured by the "cheating" method, where they use an oxacetylene torch played over the surface to produce a colour effect that can look almost as good as genuine case-hardened colour, but is not as durable. Proper case-hardening would not be feasible for a Webley, as it involves packing the pistol in powdered charcoal and heating at a dull red heat, and at those temperatures any brazed joints on the pistol would be ruined.

The case coloured Webley I saw I believe was done properly with bone ash etc. I bought an old Marlin from the same guy which has had the treatment, looks great but costs a lot due to the ingredients used so I don't think he would cheat on the Webley. I'll ask him though. Here's a couple of pictures.

https://flic.kr/p/22rseid
    https://flic.kr/p/23tnWd7
    Last edited by vbull; 16-01-2018 at 11:12 AM.

The case coloured Webley I saw I believe was done properly with bone ash etc. I bought an old Marlin from the same guy which has had the treatment, looks great but costs a lot due to the ingredients used so I don't think he would cheat on the Webley. I'll ask him though. Here's a couple of pictures.

https://flic.kr/p/22rseid
    https://flic.kr/p/23tnWd7
    That is very nice

I suppose you might just get away with conventional case hardening on a Webley if the spelter used for the brazing was at the higher end of spelter melting points, but it would be risky. But however it was done it looks great.

My two Webleys. Both already plated. Anyone know if post war Mk1 or Premier has this as a factory option?
    I think the chances of sourcing a Ni Barrel joint stop screw are slim. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    My two Webleys. Both already plated. Anyone know if post war Mk1 or Premier has this as a factory option?
    I think the chances of sourcing a Ni Barrel joint stop screw are slim. ]
    Nice pair of pistols.

The post-war Mark 1 was available in both nickel and chrome plated versions from Webley, but they did not offer these options with the Premier. Even so, there are a few plated Premiers about, which would have been non-factory modifications carried out by individuals.

How fussy are you about getting the exact keeper screw? You could round off a 7BA cheesehead bolt in a Dremel and leave it in the polished state. While not an exact fit, 7BA will screw into the Webley thread a fair way and give you a sound fix. It would certainly look better than showing a blued screw head.