Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split or sell whole?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Split or sell whole?

Hi all,

I've decided I'm going to sell all my Diana 34/XS208 stuff, I have a selection of parts which I believe will fetch more money if sold in parts than as a whole rifle, now for once I'm actually going to sell something to make as much money back as possible, as we all know we loose enough money on project rifles as it is if sold whole, I know it upsets a lot of people to see decent rifles split up and sold as parts and it seems to be the trend on evilbay nowadays.

So what are the collectives thoughts on the matter.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

It depends how confident you are of selling all the bits.

Yeah, you could possibly make more money but maybe not if you get left with a part(s) that no-one wants.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    It depends how confident you are of selling all the bits.

Yeah, you could possibly make more money but maybe not if you get left with a part(s) that no-one wants.
    Pretty much my take on it

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Personally I think you are taking a chance due to the make and models popularity. You could end up left with 80% left. How many guns could you make up? A decent 208 fetches around £70 and a 34 upto £150, do you think your parts will fetch more? As you know I'm a big fan of both guns but they arnt sought after.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Pete,

I empathise entirely. There is a strong argument for both, but if you have complete working good condition whole example(s), in the first instance, it may be best to try to sell it/them as complete rifle(s) for good money, with the offer of any spares you may have at extra cost?

Then, once rifle sold, you can list any remaining bits and bobs on the bay of eeee maybe? You see my worry is that if you sell all the major parts by stripping it, you could end up with lesser items that you simply can not sell?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Pete,

I empathise entirely. There is a strong argument for both, but if you have complete working good condition whole example(s), in the first instance, it may be best to try to sell it/them as complete rifle(s) for good money, with the offer of any spares you may have at extra cost?

Then, once rifle sold, you can list any remaining bits and bobs on the bay of eeee maybe? You see my worry is that if you sell all the major parts by stripping it, you could end up with lesser items that you simply can not sell?
    See where you are all coming from, I think the major bit which is the bugbear for me regarding expence is the T06 trigger conversion that I bought to originally try out in the XS208 (that had a wobbly rod but it was made in China, so what do you expect), I suppose if I put the T05 piston and trigger back in the 34 and sell that on with a choice of stocks, I could then sell the T06 trigger conversion on separately along with the 34 stock that's left and some 208 parts I could sell on the UKCAF site.

That could be a better way around it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

I've decided I'm going to sell all my Diana 34/XS208 stuff, I have a selection of parts which I believe will fetch more money if sold in parts than as a whole rifle, now for once I'm actually going to sell something to make as much money back as possible, as we all know we loose enough money on project rifles as it is if sold whole, I know it upsets a lot of people to see decent rifles split up and sold as parts and it seems to be the trend on evilbay nowadays.

So what are the collectives thoughts on the matter.

Pete
    I think it depends on your conscience and what the item is, if it's fairly common & still made then yep break it for parts.
    But when it's something no longer made & becoming more difficult to obtain, yes I mean Rapids, to me it's utter sacrilege to break them for parts just to make an extra couple of quid at the expense of removing another complete rifle from the market when half the bits are probably going to end up in someone's parts bin.

As said above just because the value on paper is more in parts than as a whole does not mean you're going to sell all the bits, plus there's the cost & time of p&p to consider, but it's your property to do as you want.

I fitted a to5 to my xs208, but didn't realise the to6 would fit as well? Out of curiosity could the to6 replace a to1 trigger on the 34?

I think I'll just put the 34 back to original state and sell on and then flog on the remaining Diana and 208 parts which I've seem to accumulated.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I fitted a to5 to my xs208, but didn't realise the to6 would fit as well? Out of curiosity could the to6 replace a to1 trigger on the 34?
    You need to file a little bit off of the bottom of the trigger housing to fit in the 208 cylinder (where the trigger guard bolt screw in), not sure if it can replace the T01 trigger though.

Pete

You need to file a little bit off of the bottom of the trigger housing to fit in the 208 cylinder (where the trigger guard bolt screw in), not sure if it can replace the T01 trigger though.

Pete
    I don't think it can, or it can be done but you need a new piston, as the older one won't work with the newer triggers. I think.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

I think I'll just put the 34 back to original state and sell on and then flog on the remaining Diana and 208 parts which I've seem to accumulated.

Pete
    Yep, good call.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I've been mulling over splitting one of my 280k's.

chances of breaking level are slim but possible.
    Trigger unit 30-35 (60 new)
    Stock 40-50
    barrel 50 ?

Left with action and piston
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've been mulling over splitting one of my 280k's.

chances of breaking level are slim but possible.
    Trigger unit 30-35 (60 new)
    Stock 40-50
    barrel 50 ?

Left with action and piston
    You may have to sell the piston and trigger unit together (unless someone wants to replace one on a T06 based rifle) as the T06 trigger unit won't fit a T05 piston rod, a complete T06 conversion kit from Chambers is £100 plus what ever your local RFD will charge you to accept it for you as it come under the VCR act.

Pete

You may have to sell the piston and trigger unit together (unless someone wants to replace one on a T06 based rifle) as the T06 trigger unit won't fit a T05 piston rod, a complete T06 conversion kit from Chambers is £100 plus what ever your local RFD will charge you to accept it for you as it come under the VCR act.

Pete
    Thats even better then
    At least break even.
    B.A.S.C. member