Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INCOMING! Gecado mod35..

Thumbs up INCOMING! Gecado mod35..

Hi all

I went and collected my BSA Superten after it being worked on and bought this Gecado mod35 in .177cal whilst there, I'd already put an offer in when I dopped the S10 off, The offer was accepted whilst I was on my way home but I was running late and couldn't turn round to get it!!

Have to say, It's a beautifully balanced rifle and shooting very nicely, John chrono'd it at 10.7fty lbs which he reckons is quiote good for one of these, I do know it splatters the pellet to bits at around 20yds as he was sighting it in up the side of his house and I collected the fragments to look at!!

The stock was refinished at Custom Stocks of Sheffield apparently and is a lovely job!!

It has a strange rearsight, John said that he'd only ever seen one like it before and he's worked on guns professionally for many years!!

Just when I wasn't buying any more! I was in fact going to move a load on!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    You and I have similar levels of willpower.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    You and I have similar levels of willpower.

Dave
    It appears so Dave

John

Looks very tidy John 👍🏻

For some reason Diana/Original named rifles sent to the southern hemisphere as "Gecado", well known rifles in South Africa and Australia.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Ooof very pretty indeed...

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    How’s the thinning down of your collection going John?

I was waiting for this post and Im not disappointed. It looks superb. And that is very good power for a 35, esp. in .177. Forend groove and no rail reminds me of 50E. Love the clean lines.
    I have a Gecado 45 from '82. So that trademark was still in use 20 or so years later.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    For some reason Diana/Original named rifles sent to the southern hemisphere as "Gecado", well known rifles in South Africa and Australia.

Baz
    Hi Baz, I had a feeling they went to the U.S. too but I may be wrong (Usually am!! )

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    How’s the thinning down of your collection going John?
    It was going OK Phil until I saw this li'l beauty!, It was being sold for £130, A friend was selling it for someone he knew, He told him he was asking too much and said it would sell OK for £100, I said if he drops it to a ton to let me know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I was waiting for this post and Im not disappointed. It looks superb. And that is very good power for a 35, esp. in .177. Forend groove and no rail reminds me of 50E. Love the clean lines.
    I have a Gecado 45 from '82. So that trademark was still in use 20 or so years later.
    Cheers Drew, It's rather nice although there's some loss of blueing to the barrel and breech block, It's a nice Plummy colour!!

I have an Original mod 35 already that's similar but the sights are different, Couldn't believe I got this one for just £70 posted!!

This is a later one though..

John

I have an "Original 35" with the same rear sight. They are rather elegant, aren't they?

I think mine's quite an early one from the 1950s, and a bit earlier than yours. Marked "MADE IN GERMANY" (no "WEST"), no date stamp, no serial number. It also has a black trigger blade, not a shiny one.

johnbaz, you are correct, I know at least the Diana 25 was imported into the USA as the Gecado 25.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I have an "Original 35" with the same rear sight. They are rather elegant, aren't they?

I think mine's quite an early one from the 1950s, and a bit earlier than yours. Marked "MADE IN GERMANY" (no "WEST"), no date stamp, no serial number. It also has a black trigger blade, not a shiny one.
    Mine says Made in Germany too, I'm pretty sure it's older than my Original 35 as that has a half hearted attempt at a scope rail fitted at the factory!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    johnbaz, you are correct, I know at least the Diana 25 was imported into the USA as the Gecado 25.

Baz
    Ahh, Cheers Baz, I thought i'd read it a few years ago but then, I forgot what I had for dinner yesterday!!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 14-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Mine says Made in Germany too, I'm pretty sure it's older than my Original 45 as that has a half hearted attempt at a scope rail fitted at the factory!!

Ahh, Cheers Baz, I thought i'd read it a few years ago but then, I forgot what I had for dinner yesterday!!

John
    Definitely a late 1950s or early 60s rifle. Sure there is no date stamp?

They were also sold in the US as a Peerless 35, a Hy-Score 809, and - briefly - as the Beeman 200. And in many places, especially the "British Commonwealth" as a Gecado or Geco. Some of the later ones, at least, must also have been sold as RWS, as well as Diana and Original.

Just realised yours doesn't have a sight ramp (originally intended for a diopter, not a scope). Mine does.

Which again suggests it's old.

These M&Gs are frustrating. So many different minor variations, so badly documented.

Definitely a late 1950s or early 60s rifle. Sure there is no date stamp?

They were also sold in the US as a Peerless 35, a Hy-Score 809, and - briefly - as the Beeman 200. And in many places, especially the "British Commonwealth" as a Gecado or Geco. Some of the later ones, at least, must also have been sold as RWS, as well as Diana and Original.
    I can't find a date stamp anywhere, There's none on the side of the cylinder same as my Mod50's

Just realised yours doesn't have a sight ramp (originally intended for a diopter, not a scope). Mine does.

Which again suggests it's old.

These M&Gs are frustrating. So many different minor variations, so badly documented.
    Ooops, I thought the rail was a bit crummy for a scope!!

Cheers, John