Thread: Flat heads or domes?

Flat heads or domes?

Which are to be preferred in the kind of CO2 guns that use eight shot rotary magazines?

Not just the Umarex classics, but also in blowback guns like the Sig 250 and 226, Beretta PX4, CZ75 P09 Duty and the Gamo guns.

Which type of pellet is better designed for jumping from the mag to the breech?

Or is there no real difference?

As always I would appreciate your advice.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Rws Geco are the pellet of choice for us over at the UBC.
    Work well with virtually anything, well made and cheap too

Thanks Ade.

That would be flat heads then.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Another vote for RWS Geco.

When I was shooting IPAS I did at one point try a few different quality brands of roundhead in my Umarex guns (586 and 1911) but counter-intuitively they seemed to like the jump from mag to barrel even less than flat heads. Accuracy was not improved (possibly even decreased) and there were jamming problems.

That said it was hardly a scientific test, YMMV. It does seem logical that roundheads would be better, but that wasn't my experience.

Seating the pellets well into the mag with a biro or ball bearing tool seemed to be the best thing you could do with any airgun running a solid mag, definitely a slight increase in power and accuracy there.
    Good deals with these members

RWS Co2 wadcutters have always worked well in my 586 revolver. They are a consistent fit and need a definite push to seat them flush in the magazine.

I've tried other types of quality pellets, both pointed and roundhead, but I found that they dropped into the magazines inconsistently and so I reverted back to the above mentioned wadcutters.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Has anyone tried the Umarex mosquito flat heads?

I have some on the way from amazon; they are supposed to have a slightly smaller skirt, presumably to reduce some resistance?

I will soon find out!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    RWS Co2 wadcutters have always worked well in my 586 revolver. They are a consistent fit and need a definite push to seat them flush in the magazine.

I've tried other types of quality pellets, both pointed and roundhead, but I found that they dropped into the magazines inconsistently and so I reverted back to the above mentioned wadcutters.
    That's what I use in my 586 and CP99. fantastic budget pellets and work every time.

Mosquito's also work very well and they're nice and light

Geco in the Umarexes, although the S&W likes superdomes. FTTs work well in the P09 and feed without issue. They are pretty good for a relatively heavy pellet.

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Umarex mosquito flat heads?

I have some on the way from amazon; they are supposed to have a slightly smaller skirt, presumably to reduce some resistance?

I will soon find out!
    Mosquitoes arrived today, the skirts are around 0.1mm smaller than Gecko's, but in my Zastava I am getting a lot of double shots, something I don't get with the Gecko's. Still got plenty of other guns to try them in though!
    I can see that I am going to have to lash out on some lightweight alloy flat-heads for the Zastava; if that doesn't work, I will just have to accept ragged holes with it...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?