Thread: FWB LP80 valuation

FWB LP80 valuation

Didn't know whether to put this in here or the Classic Airgun section, but since it is still widely available and quite widely used, I decided here was best.

First a description of the gun: it is a handsome gun in very nice condition, better than anything I have seen for a few years. Apart from one very small thin scratch on the side of the trigger guard, which is easily missed and could be easily covered with a blacking pen, and which I only noticed for the first time after nearly three years of ownership when the gun was being photographed, the external metal is without a scratch. The blacking is all there. The bluing on the barrel is excellent - no marks or blemishes that I can see. Given the gun's age the right hand target grip (size medium to large I think) is clean and attractive - some of the other examples I have seen have years of sweat soaked into them which makes them very dark and dirty looking. It comes with the original FWB faux leather case, all three under-barrel weights (one is actually a plastic spacer), FWB screwdriver and spanner, and booklet (not matching number, but in excellent condition.

The case is in good condition for its age. The velveteen internals are slightly torn in the places in which the sharp front and rear sights locate (never seen any that aren't) but the general appearance of the internal is very pleasing given its age. There is no key for the locks, and the right lock has been left closed. I intend to take it to a locksmith and get him to pick the lock and see if he can fashion a key for me.

The gun has been well taken care of, and not used much for a few years. This means that the cocking lever sometimes sticks on the return stroke. It loosens up with use. I took it to Dave Mercer for the once over and he examined it internally, and said "That's a nice one."

The pistol is doing around 430fps and is consistent. The trigger is superb, and accuracy is what you would expect.

I am almost seventy years old and recovering from the latest of many prolapsed spinal discs. The gun is too much for me and gets little use. I need money for materials for my second hobby of drawing and painting.

I have seen some pretty shabby examples go for 250 quid, without accessories, and thought an asking price of 300 would be very reasonable. Please correct me if you think it would be under or overpriced at 300quid.

If I decide to sell, I will post pictures on the For Sales section. Haven't got them onto my computer yet.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Pm

Hi Arthur, pm sent,
    John.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Hello John.

Pm not received.

My pm box looked pretty full, so that may have been the problem.

If so, problem now fixed.
    Arthur

There was a fwb80 with case on gunstar last week, if I remember it had the weights and manual but no accessories and was advertised for £295 so IMO your price sounds about right. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks.

More than the accessories I think it is the external appearance of the gun that will sell it.
    Arthur

Pm

Hi Arthur, I have just re-sent the pm
    Regards John.

Hello John.

Have replied.

Will contact you again tomorrow.

John has first refusal.
    Arthur

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I thought there was fairly strict rules about buying/selling off the back of a valuation thread

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....luation-thread

Some "members" use this site like hyenas. Marauding to pick up carrion at any opportunity, at the right price of course. They don't contribute nor do they observe the rules.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

I asked for a valuation. Nothing more.

My intention was to advertise it later with photos on the correct forum.

Someone who has bought from me before has expressed an interest.

What was I supposed to do?

I am not desperate for a buyer. The gun will sell itself.

I take your point however, and will not ask for any more valuations of things I may intend to sell.

Sorry if I have broken the rules. I did it out of ignorance, not intention.
    Arthur

Marauding hyenas

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Some "members" use this site like hyenas. Marauding to pick up carrion at any opportunity, at the right price of course. They don't contribute nor do they observe the rules.
    I'm guessing this was aimed at me, someone I have done business with before was asking about the value of something & I contacted him privately to express an interest should he eventually decide to move it on AT A FAIR PRICE! If in doing this I have broken site rules I apologise, however I do find the above post a little harsh to honest.
    Seasons greetings to all,
    John.

Please check your inbox John.

This is all academic now gentlemen, as I have had to withdraw the gun from sale.

Having checked it over the chrony again this evening I have found that it is not in a condition to sell. There is also a problem with the cocking lever which seems to be getting worse.

In short it needs servicing.

I will decide what to do with it over the next week or two. The art materials will have to wait.

Sorry to have wasted members' time.
    Arthur

Thanks

Hi Arthur, appreciate your honesty regarding condition of said item,
    Regards John.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    Hi Arthur, appreciate your honesty regarding condition of said item,
    Regards John.
    It seems like the mods do not moderate all sections of the forum, my opinion is seller and buyer should both be banned for the same length of time, 6 months would be a good warning to others!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    It seems like the mods do not moderate all sections of the forum [...]
    Not at all. We read the forum, along with our other duties - but a bit of help is appreciated.

Did anybody think to flag this up to the mods by using the "report post" function?
    (that's the little warning triangle at the bottom left corner of every post on this BBS).

Arthur and John - You'll be hearing from me.

Thread closed.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....s-and-Guidance