Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
From bitter experience Mike if the whiplash gets very painful go to someone who can do acupuncture. The only thing that would help mine
My experience also, Pete.

After lots of visits to the GP and NHS physio I was getting nowhere. Then, about a year and a half after my last smash, through the NHS, I was referred to a pain management team. These visits took place at my local hospital. Initially they just covered relaxation techniques. But then I had six visits with an Accupuncture chap. I was really sceptical and my expectations were very low.

At the first visit, we had a bit of a chat and he explained that he did the traditional type of therapy. No bullshit or over-inflated promises and explained that it would only work if my body wanted to heal itself. Now, before I walked in the room, my neck, shoulders and arms killed. After this first visit I felt like I was floating on air! NO PAIN WHATSOEVER! By the next visit, there was a little pain, maybe 10% of the original? From visits four onwards I had no pain at all, even in between visits. Sorted! I remained totally pain free for about 9 months after the treatment finished.

Gradually the pain returned after that point. I went back to the GP and asked for more accupuncture. This they booked for me, but at the hospital and done by nurses. And it was the "Westernised" version, where they actually stick the needles in the affected area, unlike the traditional Chinese version. It had bugger all effect whatsoever and even the nurses conceded that it is nowhere near as powerful as the Chinese version.

Since then, I've got worse and worse. I'd love to be able to see that first chappy. He does practice privately from Nottingham, but I think it's about £50 a go and a 60 miles round trip. I can't afford this at the moment, otherwise I'd be certainly visiting him again.

When you talk to different people, it becomes quite apparent that different treatments seem to suit different people and that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next person.