Page 51 of 235 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th and 8th April 2018 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I would definitely be tempted with one because my boy would be able handle it in a year or so. The local gunshop to me has three used ones in stock at the moment in great condition. I believe they are up for around £130.00. I'd be tempted with a used one for fettling purposes. As a noob to fettling and tuning I would be more inclined to strip a used one than a new one.
    I appreciate entirely where you're coming from, Mike.

If he's a nice chap you could ask him to whip the stocks off them and have a look at the cocking arm / underside of the cylinder to assess how much, if any, scoring has occurred. You never know, you might get one with no marking, as it seems they don't all do it. Maybe then choose the one that you most fancy / has the least scoring. If wear is evident, it may also prove to be a good bargaining point.

They're dead easy to strip and you'll have loads of fun and derive great satisfaction doing it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I appreciate entirely where you're coming from, Mike.

If he's a nice chap you could ask him to whip the stocks off them and have a look at the cocking arm / underside of the cylinder to assess how much, if any, scoring has occurred. You never know, you might get one with no marking, as it seems they don't all do it. Maybe then choose the one that you most fancy / has the least scoring. If wear is evident, it may also prove to be a good bargaining point.

They're dead easy to strip and you'll have loads of fun and derive great satisfaction doing it.
    Cheers Tone. I will definitely have a closer inspection if I get one of the used ones. He's a real nice guy at the shop so hopefully wouldn't have a problem whipping the stocks off. I may end up hanging on until Jacks a little older and buy him a new one. Its hard to tell when he'll be ready to have a crack at it. He's six at the moment and is a crack shot with the little air soft gun i've got but i'm thinking more towards the 8 year mark to get him on the big boys shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Too near the bottom lads. Great mornings plinking with Ted at LVAGC
    Likewise matey, much enjoyed, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    I had a good few hours plinking at my range today. I just brought my faithful first rifle with me - HW77k, I am always impressed at how well it shoots as long as I do my bit, it always leaves a big grin on my face after bashing and chasing shotgun cartridges around at 35yds. The clubhouse there had a box of broken coffee mugs (only handles broke off) which we put out at 60yds and ended their days
    What jolly good fun old boy, perfectly smashing!

Cheers Tone. I will definitely have a closer inspection if I get one of the used ones. He's a real nice guy at the shop so hopefully wouldn't have a problem whipping the stocks off. I may end up hanging on until Jacks a little older and buy him a new one. Its hard to tell when he'll be ready to have a crack at it. He's six at the moment and is a crack shot with the little air soft gun i've got but i'm thinking more towards the 8 year mark to get him on the big boys shooters.
    Much wisdom behind that train of thought, Mike.

HOWEVER......if you did get one sooner it would mean that daddy gets more play time with the tiddly HW before little Jack commandeers it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Ted showed me how to shoot a tennis ball at 90 yards repeatedly
    You're too kind Pete, it was entirely due to HW97K + 14.66gr of FTT !! What fun.

Here's an early start Guys, couldn't sleep. Had a great day watching the 6 Nations with the Missus & eating melted cheese on crusty bread. So here am I having a smoke and a sip. Well done Wales & Ireland. England & Italy to look forward to later plus more cheese. Also going to separate the wood from the steel on my 60's Webley Falcon & give the stock a rub with walnut oil. It really does shine out the blemishes.

ATB
    Gwyn
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

Much wisdom behind that train of thought, Mike.

HOWEVER......if you did get one sooner it would mean that daddy gets more play time with the tiddly HW before little Jack commandeers it.
    Now that is a great point there Tone. Certainly tempting

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    Here's an early start Guys, couldn't sleep. Had a great day watching the 6 Nations with the Missus & eating melted cheese on crusty bread. So here am I having a smoke and a sip. Well done Wales & Ireland. England & Italy to look forward to later plus more cheese. Also going to separate the wood from the steel on my 60's Webley Falcon & give the stock a rub with walnut oil. It really does shine out the blemishes.

ATB
    Gwyn
    Sounds like a great day that. I'm heading to the pub for the England game this afternoon. Hopefully will be a great match.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post

ATB
    Gwyn
    Sounds like a most excellent day had and another to come, oh Sleepless Gwyn.

Enjoy rubbing your wood, sir.

Now that is a great point there Tone. Certainly tempting
    Do you need me to ring the missus, Mike?

And the Sleepometer says.......62 to go, peeps.

BOING!

Do you need me to ring the missus, Mike?
    If you could mate that would be great. Since meeting you and your magic phone calls my airgun collection has expanded effortlessly

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    We just had a great morning at the club. A british ex-pat member let me have a go with a few pistols starting with a Hammerli .22 target pistol. Within a few mags I was getting them all in the black at 25m, I'm dead chuffed with that! Next I had a couple of cyclinders through a .38 special which I loved, then he put six .357's in. HOLY CRAP! Jamie told me about this, but I wasn't really prepared for the difference.

I've been given permission to use air rifles on the 50m range as I have assured them I'll be able to hit the targets. I'm gonna need more practice!
    So, which air rifle to use? I have the 50j kit for the Evanix, but that would mean filling every six shots, I could go 20j with the Steyr, but again, filling is a pain.
    Only one thing for it, High Powered Boinger Time! Favourites are either the ultra short HW97 which should be ready for building by the time I return which will go nicely at sub 20j, or the HW80. If I knocked the short stroke off it would go to around 20j, 24-26 if I put a new spring in. The tricky part is not being able to compare them beforehand. I would have to prep the parts to "Best Guess" in the Uk before bringing them out to try.
    Still, full powered HW80.......
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    We just had a great morning at the club. A british ex-pat member let me have a go with a few pistols starting with a Hammerli .22 target pistol. Within a few mags I was getting them all in the black at 25m, I'm dead chuffed with that! Next I had a couple of cyclinders through a .38 special which I loved, then he put six .357's in. HOLY CRAP! Jamie told me about this, but I wasn't really prepared for the difference.

I've been given permission to use air rifles on the 50m range as I have assured them I'll be able to hit the targets. I'm gonna need more practice!
    So, which air rifle to use? I have the 50j kit for the Evanix, but that would mean filling every six shots, I could go 20j with the Steyr, but again, filling is a pain.
    Only one thing for it, High Powered Boinger Time! Favourites are either the ultra short HW97 which should be ready for building by the time I return which will go nicely at sub 20j, or the HW80. If I knocked the short stroke off it would go to around 20j, 24-26 if I put a new spring in. The tricky part is not being able to compare them beforehand. I would have to prep the parts to "Best Guess" in the Uk before bringing them out to try.
    Still, full powered HW80.......
    Sounds like great fun Nick. The HW80 sounds like a seriously tempting beast