Thread: Removing 'O' rings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Removing 'O' rings?

Hi all, hope this is the right place. I am rebuilding a regulator, have all the 'O' rings and bits no problem but there are 'O' rings that sit in grooves in very highly finished brass parts, the question is how can I remove the rings without causing Any damage to the brass.
    I have some picks but they look, when under a glass, like blunt screwdrivers.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

cocktail sticks -bamboo skewers o r some times you can squeeze the sides so the top lifts to roll it out but that depends on tightness in groove and hardness

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    cocktail sticks -bamboo skewers o r some times you can squeeze the sides so the top lifts to roll it out but that depends on tightness in groove and hardness
    They'll work for looose and thin O rings but you need something more substantial for larger ones or those on things such as regs, then you'll need O ring removal tools. If you use tools then be careful of the surrounding area, especially brass.

Removing 'O' rings?

try those fine point plastic toothpicks, the ones with a y shape at the other end with dental floss on, failing that use a fine sewing needle point to prick into the o-ring(but not touch the metal)

O rings

Squeeze and push forward, and wooden tooth picks.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Squeeze and push forward, and wooden tooth picks.
    That won't work on a Rapid reg as the O rings are too thick and tight, that includes putting them back on again.