Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting 'til March?

Waiting 'til March?

I'm a bit uneasy about adding any more guns to my small collection at the moment.

But I am very tempted by some of the things in the January sales.

And where temptation is concerned, I usually give in.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Why March ? am I missing something.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    January sales?!
    Master Debater

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Next Kempton Park?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    January sales?!
    Most airgun retailers don't appear to do real sales, I agree.

But some do, and especially at this time of the year.

Why March? Isn't that when we learn what new measures the government might take on the subject of airgun ownership?

There is going to be a discussion in February I believe.

And who knows what they will come up with?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...pon-regulation

New knife legislation could also be in the offing.

Idiots and bad people have been abusing our rights again.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 13-01-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Most airgun retailers don't appear to do real sales, I agree.

But some do, and especially at this time of the year.

Why March? Isn't that when we learn what new measures the government might take on the subject of airgun ownership?

There is going to be a discussion in February I believe.

And who knows what they will come up with?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...pon-regulation

New knife legislation could also be in the offing.

Idiots and bad people have been abusing our rights again.
    I would think the worst case scenario would be a license like up here and thousands of people have been issued licenses . nothing has really changed other than some with depression being knocked back for a license and most have fought it and won.

you can get a collectors license ,vermin control or airgun club or a combination of the 3 . and plinking in your garden is not banned but some conditions do apply .

Storage for then is the same as it is no for you down south and the way it has been since 2011 . Under lock and key and no cabinet specified like FAC and SGC.

So if they follow the scottish license cheme you may be worrying unnecessarily .
    Last edited by bighit; 13-01-2018 at 08:32 PM.

How many Scottish owned airguns have not been licensed?

Or, to put it another way, how many have?

How many people do you know who have been prescribed pills for depression?

If I lived under the control of Sturgeon, I would be very depressed.
    Arthur

How many Scottish owned airguns have not been licensed?

Or, to put it another way, how many have?

How many people do you know who have been prescribed pills for depression?

If I lived under the control of Sturgeon, I would be very depressed.

18 Thousand so far but they wont know the final total until 2021 when the current owners that are holding them and using them are up for renewal of their FAC or SGC . you can possess and use them on your FAC or SGC but you cant buy component parts or moderators unless you have a license . If you want to buy parts or a moderator before your renewal ,you need to apply for a license (or ask a friend that has one to buy them for you no traceability)

From here http://airweapon.scot/faqs/

"If I already have a firearm or shotgun certificate?
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun certificate on the 31st of December 2016, you won’t need to apply for a separate air weapon certificate until your existing licence expires.

When you renew your existing certificate you can apply for a new air weapon certificate at the same time, and you can ask to have them aligned so that they will all expire on the same date. If you are aligning your certificates in this way you will pay a reduced fee of £5.00 for the air weapon certificate.

If you want to buy or otherwise acquire a new air weapon before your current certificate expires you will need to apply for an air weapon certificate. This means that you can show the firearms dealer that you are authorised to purchase an air weapon."

just because the Scottish government said there was an estimated 500,000 in Scotland does not mean that possibly 400,000 Thousand are unlicensed

Lots of people get pills for depression. my wife is on them due to her illness ( depression pills can work as pain killers in some cases https://www.mayoclinic.org/pain-medi...s/art-20045647 ) but she now has been diagnosed with depression .

My mate got anti depressants due to stress because of his job.

Report from sep 2017

New statistics have revealed 6.4 million items were handed out last year, the equivalent of 17,500 a day.

That compares to 6.1 million the previous year, and 5.8 million in 2014/15.

They can be given for numerous reasons .Some below

1. Anxiety
    2. Insomnia
    3. Pain
    4. Panic disorders
    5. Fibromyalgia .The main reason my wife was prescribed them until diagnosed with depression due to her condition and having to be medically retired from her job.
    6. Migraine
    7. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
    8. Menopause symptoms
    Last edited by bighit; 13-01-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks for the reply.

So it wouldn't show with firearms owners until their licenses came up for renewal.

I would guess that most airgun owners in Scotland don't also own firearms. I would say the same for England.

18 thousand airgun licenses seems rather low, even though Scotland has a small population.

England has a huge population.

There are many reasons why people are treated for depression, as you say.

Whatever the reason, depression is apparently the most common illness in the country. And the number of sufferers is growing.

I would guess that, whatever the official records state, there are many more than 6million who need treatment.

There must also be a lot of depressed policemen, judges, doctors, nurses and teachers in particular. And many of the unemployed. Lots of young people I would guess.

There ain't much to be happy about in modern Britain.

Just joking.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 14-01-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Arthur

Thanks for the reply.

So it wouldn't show with firearms owners until their licenses came up for renewal. YES

I would guess that most airgun owners in Scotland don't also own firearms. I would say the same for England. correct but there was some people that did say they would not license their airguns no matter what the penalties are. One even said he would use it against the police if they came to take it away

Plus the number of FAc and SGC applications may have went up as some said they would apply for them if they had to license their airguns

18 thousand airgun licenses seems rather low, even though Scotland has a small population. There was a good number handed in also though .plus some people will have sold them thinking they would not get a license due to health issues

England has a huge population.

There are many reasons why people are treated for depression, as you say.

Whatever the reason, depression is apparently the most common illness in the country. And the number of sufferers is growing. The problem is that doctors tend to dish out antidepressants without looking athe reasons for the patient coming to see them.one expression was that they were handing them out like sweeties
    My mate was on them for years and when he wanted to come off them ,his doctor kept him on them. He had to see a psychologist through his new employer to get off them . His doctor tried to keep him on them. Some doctors may think Anti depressants is the cure all for all reasons to see the doctor

chest infection = have some sertraline
    sore leg =have some Citalopram
    ear infection = have some Fluoxetine
    ok im taking the pee but who knows

I would guess that, whatever the official records state, there are many more than 6million who need treatment. The 6 million is pills handed out not people .And that was just the number for Scotland

There must also be a lot of depressed policemen, judges, doctors, nurses and teachers in particular. And many of the unemployed. Lots of young people I would guess. I would say so too but most won't admit it

There ain't much to be happy about in modern Britain.

Just joking.
    Answers in red .

Thanks again for your response to my questions.
    Arthur

Well to go back to the OP I don't think there will be any great change & you're worrying for no reason.

The high profile cases that have prompted the review were all as a direct result of either utter outright stupidity by the owner or the existing rules not being complied with, so nothing would have been prevented with tighter control.

The only thing I could see is a ban on building home made airguns.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The high profile cases that have prompted the review were all as a direct result of either utter outright stupidity by the owner or the existing rules not being complied with, so nothing would have been prevented with tighter control.
    The same could have been said for the high profile case which led to Scottish licensing...

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The only thing I could see is a ban on building home made airguns.

Any particular reason you see that as likely? Slightly concerning for me as I do have a few projects on the go.
    Good deals with these members

Thanks again for your response to my questions.
    your welcome . Just my take on it and it may be wrong .Others may have other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The same could have been said for the high profile case which led to Scottish licensing...

So a junkie that was deliberately targeting people is the same as an accident ? yes the accident should not have happened due to some one supervising them .

The junkie was trying to hit Andrew Morton's uncle who was holding andrew. That was not an accident

The scottish license was going through no matter what proof that it was not needed was put forward. A vote grabber as some say.

kenny Macaskill his own words

"We have always been clear that licensing will happen and this has been a valuable exercise in highlighting issues and drawing out concerns around our suggested changes.
    "It is important that we now consider all views submitted as we continue to develop a system of licensing that is fair, proportionate and practicable for police and shooters alike.
    "It is simply not right that in a modern Scotland air guns are available without a licence.

I would like to think your government people would consider the peoples views on it rather than saying "we are doing it " like macaskill did.

And yes i know the government shaft us with other rulings but they may not in this case