Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw99 moderator or shroud

Hw99 moderator or shroud

Hello

Is there any way of fitting a moderator adapter (screw on type) or a slip on moderator like the webley type, without having to file down the slots on the barrel for open sights?

I have seen the weirauch slip on moderator that goes over the open sights but I'm not so keen.

I like the idea of having a moderator but still retain the option of open sights for future use.

Failing that, does anyone make a barrel shroud? I've seen a couple of custom ones but they weren't in stock last time I looked.

I'd like to reduce muzzle crack (I appreciate most noise is from the spring) but more so, I'd like it to double up as a muzzle weight. I find he standard gun very light at the front end.
    Thank you

i filed the grooves down on mine and stuck a JSR adaptor on it . Loctited on . I never tried to see if the front sight would go back on as i use and removed the open sights .

i know some people have used a needle file and cut grooves in the adaptors to save filing the barrel grooves. .

Ian Blade newman on facebook used to do shrouds but i'm sure he was reported for making them .i think he does a parts kit now to do it legally but i may be wrong .

Tinbum used to do shrouds too . Not sure if he still does .

i'm not sure if the VCR act comes into it if people make them and send them via the post like a shop can't send a new moderator through the post . only if its a warranty replacement i think but i'm not sure .

Good idea about filling the adapter.

I'm not on Facebook. Is he on this forum? A kit might be an option

I suppose the other option is threading the barrel. What kind of price do people on here charge? I'm in the Manchester area. No doubt vcr prevents sending barrels in the post

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Good idea about filling the adapter.

I'm not on Facebook. Is he on this forum? A kit might be an option

I suppose the other option is threading the barrel. What kind of price do people on here charge? I'm in the Manchester area. No doubt vcr prevents sending barrels in the post

No idea if Ian is on here . Yes you can send your barrel as its not brand new from a retailer .

There is a few on here that may be able to thread it for you but im not sure who . UK.Neil used to do it but he retired ,Some one took over from him but i cant think who.

I'm not sure if RichardH from on here can do them .

RancidTom may be worth trying too.

That's not so bad then.

Anybody around Manchester able to thread barrels? Threading might be a good option and forgetting about the iron sights

I've been doing some research and nobody has been able to thread it so far.

I've seen pics of them threaded so it must be possible? I do not have lathe experience but I believe the breech block size is he problem.

Has anyone on here successfully threaded one or have they swapped the barrel for a factory threaded option.

Confused

I may have found another option. Webley pro system silencer. Adjusts to the right size apparently.

Anyone tried these?

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...es&Product=538

Looks interesting the Webley adjustable silencer. As a HW99 owner myself the problem regarding the adjustable silencer is that the 99 barrel is not spherical so it wont adjust/tighten over the sight grooves, it would probably throw the silencer out of line, you would have to file the flanges down to get a snug fit, if you do that you may as well get a better make and push on fit.
    I looked at this problem when I first got my HW99 a few years ago, the correct HW silencer is ugly and expensive, I backed out of altering my barrel from standard by filing the grooves out so I just learnt to live with it as it is,s its not all that noisy and don't think about it now.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

Thanks

Good point. I might accept filing off the grooves is inevitable.

I'll have a Google for push on types in 15mm. I suppose once it's on, I won't be taking it off again
    https://m.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-...silencer/14870

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Thanks

Good point. I might accept filing off the grooves is inevitable.

I'll have a Google for push on types in 15mm. I suppose once it's on, I won't be taking it off again
    https://m.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-...silencer/14870
    konceptus ones are supposed to be good and can be sent directly to your door where as you cant do the same if you buy one in the uk unless you get it sent to an RFD. Or pay £15 for pellpax to deliver it .

https://www.airgun-konceptus.com/ste...l-hole-push-on

They do other sizes too.
    Last edited by bighit; 21-01-2018 at 05:31 PM.

I just bought one off those adaptors of then tapped it on with a bit of wood so the grooves are still there untouched.
    Don't Think it will come off without cutting it probably but the adaptors are only about 5 pound .
    The moderator makes my .177 99 much quieter.

adapter

where can i get an slip on adapter to fit my 99 without damaging front sight grooves

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    where can i get an slip on adapter to fit my 99 without damaging front sight grooves
    I don't think there is one other than the HW push on silencer/moderator.

You could get a set of needle files and cut grooves in the adaptor as has been stated on this thread or file the barrel.

As far as I know it's the only ways to do it. Or tap it on like dayglowfroggy and hope it lines up right with no clipping of the pellets inside the silencer/moderator.

Adapter

Someone does one as i have one on another 99

As I mentioned on a previous thread a while back regarding the HW99s and moderators. I bought a MWSS200 off here and fitted it without touching the barrel grooves as it had corresponding grooves internally. Slides on and fixed with grub screw.