Thread: Room for improvement?

Room for improvement?

So after joining the forum and much good advice from the folks here I finally managed to get some free time this weekend for a trip to a range. I popped over to the Halifax Airgun Club and hired a break barrel springer for an hour to see if I could still shoot reasonably straight. After I got it into my head that consistent grouping and proper hold, breathing and trigger technique were really what I should be looking for rather than spending too much time fiddling with a hired scope I got a group of 10 down to 20mm (a smidge over 3/4" in old money).

The question is really how tight a group might I be able to expect on a 10m range taking into account I'm shooting rested (forend on soft shooting bag, left hand balled under butt of stock) using a hired .22, random pellets and a BSA scope that is probably a 4x32 and has no pa adjustment? Or is that missing the point and really if I'm practising the right techniques any practice will be of benefit until I can equip myself with something more capable.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

What gun did you hire ?
    That group would be ok with a webley vulcan or gamo etc but very bad for a weihrach hw95 hw99 etc at 10 m.

It's all about the trigger.
    Was it indoor or out on the wind ?

Practicing with anything makes you better i practise my trigger breathing and follow through with hard to shoot springers like a vulcan and a b2 .

20mm would be very good for a b2
    Last edited by dayglowfroggy; 23-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Not sure which brand of rifle it was, I had look over it before I started shooting and the logo looked like a circle with MK after it? It was indoor too.

sounds like an SMK http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/cat/66/air...mk-air-rifles/

see if you can spot the rifle in the link.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    SMK.
    Cheapy cheapy cheap cheap, so your groups were probably ok
    Good deals with these members

Can't see a match for it in any of the current range of B2's. It had plain wood, no chequering on either grip or forend. Forend tapered slightly from trigger guard to front. Open sights in addition to the scope that had been fitted. Safety catch was a lever in front of the trigger. No release catch on the break action.

I'm happy enough that a group that size was reasonable then. Not shot regularly since my early twenties and then it was mostly plinking or knock downs with a nice large target area. Was great fun and an hour flew by. Looking forward to a visit back to family in Lincolnshire in a couple of weeks and might get to try the nephew's new weihrauch and dust off the blue streak I shot as a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    So after joining the forum and much good advice from the folks here I finally managed to get some free time this weekend for a trip to a range. I popped over to the Halifax Airgun Club and hired a break barrel springer for an hour to see if I could still shoot reasonably straight. After I got it into my head that consistent grouping and proper hold, breathing and trigger technique were really what I should be looking for rather than spending too much time fiddling with a hired scope I got a group of 10 down to 20mm (a smidge over 3/4" in old money).

The question is really how tight a group might I be able to expect on a 10m range taking into account I'm shooting rested (forend on soft shooting bag, left hand balled under butt of stock) using a hired .22, random pellets and a BSA scope that is probably a 4x32 and has no pa adjustment? Or is that missing the point and really if I'm practising the right techniques any practice will be of benefit until I can equip myself with something more capable.
    I really wouldn't worry at all about group size at this stage until you get your own gun. I used to shoot my local clubs CZ452, yes I know it is a RF , and I used to get about .5" grouping at 25 meters using a cheap hawke 4X40 scope. No really good at all. then I was allowed to shoot the same model gun but this one belonged to the club's chairman and I started printing 0.2" groups, one hole that is. Just enjoy your shooting for now.

A.G

I doubt they're going to hire out half decent rifles or use expensive pellets in them in that situation, so you're probably doing OK.

Can't see a match for it in any of the current range of B2's. It had plain wood, no chequering on either grip or forend. Forend tapered slightly from trigger guard to front. Open sights in addition to the scope that had been fitted. Safety catch was a lever in front of the trigger. No release catch on the break action
    Sounds like it could be an xs19?

I think it may have been an XS19, the wood looks the right shape, manual safety in the trigger guard. They must look after their hire kit quite well at the club because it was smooth to cock and didn't make a lot of mechanical noise when I let a shot off. The trigger was fairly easy to use as well, quite firm and positive through the first bit of travel as I squeezed and then reached a point where the pressure to hold it noticeably decreased and it was easy to hold aim before the last gentle squeeze let a shot off.

I think it may have been an XS19, the wood looks the right shape, manual safety in the trigger guard. They must look after their hire kit quite well at the club because it was smooth to cock and didn't make a lot of mechanical noise when I let a shot off. The trigger was fairly easy to use as well, quite firm and positive through the first bit of travel as I squeezed and then reached a point where the pressure to hold it noticeably decreased and it was easy to hold aim before the last gentle squeeze let a shot off.
    Charlie (sorry if that's not your real name)...rather than hire something why not pop over to my club and try out a few different rifles for free? If you fancy a visit on a weekend then please feel free to drop me a PM and i'll sort out a few different rifles for you to have a play with.....as well as a brew.

Please don't go and spend your money on anything until you've had a chance to shoot a few different rifles.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Hi Chris. Many thanks for that generous offer. I'll drop you a PM.