Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osprey/Tracker interchangability

Osprey/Tracker interchangability

Hi all,

I've got a really nice stock for a Tracker/Viscount and I am looking for an action to fit in it.

I have been offered an Osprey by one of the good gents on the bbs, we both know they are kinda related, but the question is, will the Osprey action fit in my Tracker stock?????

All help and advice greatfully received.

Cheers

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Ideot Savant Guest
    Going from memory the Osprey wasn't as chunky as the Tracker, so I'd be surprised if the action fit . The Osprey was quite slim and only put out about 8ftlb while the Tracker was full power and i seem to remember that the Tracker had a wider tube. This is really going back some so I could be wrong but I dont think it's going to work.

Thanks, I was thinking much the same, but haven't got much experience with these Webleys

Cheers

Rich

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the two physically, is that the Osprey has a larger diameter barrel, and therefore a bit of light relief at the front end of the stock might be required.
    It is a long time since I tried this stock swap, so I can't swear the above is totally accurate, but I will try the swap later today as I have a spare Tracker stock, and an Osprey, somewhere.
    The stocks for both models are listed under the same part number : E87, so it would appear they must be the same.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 11-09-2005 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks for that, the next question would have to be, do they have the same power output? The rifle is intended for hunting, so would be looking for 10.5ftlbs at least.

Rich

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Osprey would be pushed to do 9 ft/lbs even in .22. The design has two metal piston rings like a Feinwerkbau target rifle, and I think this plus the small swept volume holds back the power potential. The ring system makes the rifle very consistent. The Trackers & Viscount have regular modern Webley power pulse piston heads.

Still, you managed to get alot of power out of the Buccaneer so who knows what you might squeeze out of the Osprey? They handle very nicely and 9 ft/lbs is fine if you keep to under 30 meters. An excellent rifle for taking shots into tall trees e.g. branching rooks.

The stocks might have the same Chambers catalogue number, but they are different shapes, the Osprey stock is slimmer and more elegant, with a semi-pistol grip so that the hand is less vertically placed, a bit like a shotgun stock.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 11-09-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Mmmmm, the Buccaneer was a surprise, it wouldn't be used at max range, simply because my old man can't see that far into the distance!

Rich

I have checked the stocks on three Osprey's and it was as I thought, the front of the Tracker stock will require a shallow indent to accept the 'Bull' barrel of the Osprey, apart from that, it will fit without modification.
    The original Osprey stock is a slightly different and slimmer shape, both in the depth of the fore end and the shape and thickness of the pistol grip. I have to say I much prefer the slimmer Osprey stock.
    The stock number 'E87' is listed in the Webley parts lists as issued with each rifle, but when the stocks were standardised, I don't know.
    If you want to get maximum power from a Tracker, fit a gas spring.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 11-09-2005 at 03:30 PM.

DM80 Guest
    the osprey & tracker have are more or less the same action so stock should fit with a few mods the only difference between the osprey & tracker is the piston of the osprey has 2 ptfe rings where has the tracker has single main ptfe piston seal same as the later webleys vulcan' victor' etc the safety catch lever on the osprey is also slightly different than later webleys' it is true an osprey in good cond' will only do around the 10ftb mark the tracker will do approx 11ftb.

Dave.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, bottom line is that the Osprey action will fit with a little sanding here and there.

Cheers

Rich

Don't you have to counterbore the stock for the recoil block ?

Vic T

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson
    Don't you have to counterbore the stock for the recoil block ?

Vic T
    ????? Come on guys, help me out here!! Been offered an Osprey action and would prefer not to have to do too much hacking around of wood.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich,
    Look at post #8.
    I don't know why I bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter
    Rich,
    Look at post #8.
    I don't know why I bother.
    You bother because you care mate, and it's much appreciated.

The post was in response to Vic's little addition.

Stuff it, if the Osprey is still available I'll give it a shot.

Rich

As I said in post #8, I actually fitted an Osprey action in a Tracker stock and the only thing that didn't fit properly was the barrel, as it's a larger diameter than the Tracker barrel.
    The inletting of the two stocks was identical apart from the barrel groove.