Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airgun shop near ludlow shropshire

timdiscus Guest

airgun shop near ludlow shropshire

does anyone know of a good airgun shop near ludlow shropshire

thanks

tim

Hi Tim,

For such a big shooting county gun shops, particularly selling air rifles, seem to be pretty thin on the ground in Shropshire. When I were but a lad I can remember Turner's in Wellington (Mr Turner used to be very patient with some of us schoolboys who wanted to try out the latest Webley and BSA offerings in the big tin shed at the back of his shop at the bottom of Market Street). In Shrewsbury I can remember Gordon Foresters in Barket Street and Ebrall's by the Welsh Bridge - both long gone.

I haven't visited either, but I've heard that Camber's at Harley (between Much Wenlock and Cressage) and Feather & Fin in Shifnal both stock quite a decent range, but I don't know what they're like on prices. I'd like to find a decent local shop myself, I tend to by most of my stuff over the web.

what about 'Sporting and General' in Shrewsbury. I know they have moved from Castle Foregate, but they are still in the Town.

swamprat Guest
    'Sporting and General' are still in Shrewsbury, on Belle Vue Road. Expensive. Actually, a rip off. Won't touch them with a barge pole now, but that's just my view.
    Cambers is good, but expensive - more used to selling to farmers who put guns on their business accounts so don't mind paying bit more.
    Don't know about Feather and Fin. Heard of them. Think they are a small set up - at least regarding airguns. Minsterley Ranges also a few airguns and some dust covered pellet tins.
    Morgans of Oswestry is the best I've seen in Shropshire - Used to be based at their main building supplies depot on Shrewsbury Road, but have now moved all fishing and shooting stuff to a new shop on, I think, Castle Street in Oswestry itself. Good range of guns (for Shropshire) and accessories, bit poor on pellets, but prices are good and always new stuff coming in.

Don't know of anything further south I'm afraid. Hope this helps.

I've just remembered another one - "TFM" - a big farm and country store on the "rabbit run" (Telford to Dudley road), a couple of miles from Sutton Maddock heading from Telford. I was in there the other week, they'd got a dozen or so air rifles on sale: Webleys, AAs HWs etc, prices looked pretty resonable. Also pellets, scopes, lamps etc. They do a good range of outdoor clothing, boots etc at very reasonable prices, plus pretty well everything else you can think of, from traps to tractor spares.

timdiscus Guest
    thanks all, how far is owestry from ludlow or craven arms

thanks

tim

Quote Originally Posted by timdiscus
    thanks all, how far is owestry from ludlow or craven arms

thanks

tim
    As far as I can remember about 30/35 miles.

[QUOTE=swamprat]'Sporting and General' are still in Shrewsbury, on Belle Vue Road. Expensive. Actually, a rip off. Won't touch them with a barge pole now, but that's just my view.
    QUOTE]
    How can anything be a 'rip off' when you don't have to buy it.
    I have dealt with Sporting and General on several occasions over the years through the post, and have never been 'ripped off' either when purchasing air guns or spares..
    They may not be the cheapest but I have certainly come across other retail outlets that are a lot more expensive.
    If you get so called 'ripped off' by anybody it's your own fault, as nobody is forcing to but anything from anybody in the retail sector.

Quote Originally Posted by cr*pshot
    I've just remembered another one - "TFM" - a big farm and country store on the "rabbit run" (Telford to Dudley road), a couple of miles from Sutton Maddock heading from Telford. I was in there the other week, they'd got a dozen or so air rifles on sale: Webleys, AAs HWs etc, prices looked pretty resonable. Also pellets, scopes, lamps etc. They do a good range of outdoor clothing, boots etc at very reasonable prices, plus pretty well everything else you can think of, from traps to tractor spares.
    Can you tell me more about "TFM" please as I live near Dudley and would take a drive out there but can't picture where it is?

swamprat Guest
    Troubled Shooter - 'Rip off' means way more expensive than anyone else selling same stuff. I bought my first airgun there when I didn't know better. When I learned more about airguns and looked back at what I paid, I realized I'd been ripped off. At our local club I kept meeting newcomers to the club whose first port of call had been to that shop, and were rather miffed when informed of just how much over the odds thay had paid for their purchases.

I did once need some pellets, and quickly. Didn't have time to mail order and I didn't know of other sellers so I went there. Paid 75% more than most places for a tin of pellets.

Never went there again. Of course, they way you describe it, as I no longer shop there I am no longer being ripped off so therefore the shop is not a rip off. Well, I don't shop there 'cos I'm not dumb. The shop is still there, and they do rip you off.
    I have to add that they also sell shotguns there. Perhaps they are of much better value and is much more their line of work, I don't know. But with regard to airgun stuff, don't go there unless it's someone else's money you're spending.

timdiscus Guest
    swamprat the big gun shop that was at the bottom of the hill by the bridge is that still there

swamprat Guest
    swamprat the big gun shop that was at the bottom of the hill by the bridge is that still there
    I assume it's Shrewsbury you're talking about, and your description sounds like the bottom of Wyle Cop, by the English Bridge (in sight of the Abbey). No, nothing there now. There are no gun shops within the river bend of Shrewsbury at all. There were three when I first came to Shrewsbury in '89. I remember Ebralls (Still doing private work on the side I've heard).
    As far as I know (and I did look hard), Sporting and General is the only gun shop left in Shrewsbury.
    Morgans of Oswestry seems to be the only new airgun development in Shropshire in the last three years, at least.

timdiscus Guest
    that was the one good shop as i remember

Tippy comp go past the Crooked House, straight on past Wombourne and cross Wolvo/Bridgenorth rd, over the narrow bridge about 3-5 miles on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I assume it's Shrewsbury you're talking about, and your description sounds like the bottom of Wyle Cop, by the English Bridge (in sight of the Abbey). No, nothing there now. There are no gun shops within the river bend of Shrewsbury at all. There were three when I first came to Shrewsbury in '89. I remember Ebralls (Still doing private work on the side I've heard).
    As far as I know (and I did look hard), Sporting and General is the only gun shop left in Shrewsbury.
    Morgans of Oswestry seems to be the only new airgun development in Shropshire in the last three years, at least.
    I think the one he's on about was Ebrall's - near the Welsh Bridge, just off the bottom of Mardol. I went looking for it a few months ago - the shop was empty but you could still make out the name of the shop where the lettering had been removed.