Thread: C.G. Bonehill Britannia (See link for images)

C.G. Bonehill Britannia (See link for images)

Hi all,

Just got back from a week away with work and looks whats arrived!

Rest of the images:

https://imgur.com/a/ffgSz

Now it aint gonna win any beauty pageants.

The first thing I found out that the sear was not always working which scared me the first time. Turns out, like with my old BSA's, they dont like having the trigger adjustment too tight.

I also decided to take it apart and have a look at whats what. Long story short, its in worse condition than i thought.

Looks like the piston sear slot(?) is slightly damaged (but I dont think this makes much of a difference)

Piston seal looks new, probably is.

It is missing its rear sight (I knew this before buying it) but turns out it is also missing the bolts on the bottom of the cylinder.

And whos idea was it for the backing plate to be held in by a bloody bolt? Was it not easier to just thread the damn thing!

The rifle came with a odd bolt for the backing plate but it is not right, loose as hell and keeps falling out. So I found one that just fit (looks like dog crap though) same for the other hole.

I dont really like the way it looks at the moment so ill have to find a pair of "correct" bolts (If thats even what they are supposed to have in the first place, I dont know)

Apart from that, I greased it up a tad and it shoots ok now. Pretty powerful to for an old girl.

Funny how in one of the images it looks like it has no bluing left, it has but its not the original bluing.

Just a shame that parts are impossible to come by. Really fun and nice little rifle.

No idea what im going to do about a rear sight. The Britannia came with all sorts of different rear sights and I have not seen one similar to mine that I can use as a reference on making my own.

Anyway, nice addition to the collection but she is a working gal and rough around the edges!

Oh also a funny thing is that this rifle was sold by Jewson of Westgate Halifax as per the stamp on the stock. It came from the same place as my 1906 BSA air rifle! Talk about a small world!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The bolt that retains the cylinder end cap (i.e. stops it twisting off of the dog) should be threaded into the hole - and should be a near flush fit. trigger is very simple and shoudl adjust easy, so long as the piston itself is not worn.

Finish actaully looks pretty good - I love these guns.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Jake, that's not so bad l have had worse. l think it was a good buy for the money you paid for it. just a pity about the piston but you say it still works. did you pick it up yourself as the auction house said they would not post.
    ATB,
    Mick.

This is the piston on my mate gingernuts Britannia when I made a replacement polyurethane seal to improve performance. As you see the piston is skeletonised, must be to reduce its weight. Sear slots for the two power settings nice and sharp. Also made a back sight which was missing.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Jake, that's not so bad l have had worse. l think it was a good buy for the money you paid for it. just a pity about the piston but you say it still works. did you pick it up yourself as the auction house said they would not post.
    ATB,
    Mick.
    The rifle works fine now. I was worried at first but after a bit of tinkering I think she is fine.

I had a courier pick the rifle up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    This is the piston on my mate gingernuts Britannia when I made a replacement polyurethane seal to improve performance. As you see the piston is skeletonised, must be to reduce its weight. Sear slots for the two power settings nice and sharp. Also made a back sight which was missing.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    You dont happen to have any pictures of the sight you made do you?

Im thinking about making one myself, more modifying something that looks similar.

Cheers

Jake

Hi Jake, it is a very simple sight, I will ask gingernut if I can take some pics and email them to you.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Hi Jake, it is a very simple sight, I will ask gingernut if I can take some pics and email them to you.

Baz
    That would be great thanks!

I've sent Baz a pic of sight as a starter.

[IMG][/IMG]