Thread: Midland "Demon" .22

Midland "Demon" .22

Just got some interesting rifles in including a BSA "s" Standard, and a millita type rifle in .22 calibre. It looks like a Midland with flat sides to the trigger block. Did all the .22 Midland rifles have engraving on the top of the trigger block ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just got some interesting rifles in including a BSA "s" Standard, and a millita type rifle in .22 calibre. It looks like a Midland with flat sides to the trigger block. Did all the .22 Midland rifles have engraving on the top of the trigger block ?

Baz
    Only the deluxe ones had engraving Baz.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Only the deluxe ones had engraving Baz.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks John. This one is identical to some I have seen online but has no engraving. They seem rare in .22 calibre.

Baz

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Thanks John. This one is identical to some I have seen online but has no engraving. They seem rare in .22 calibre.

Baz
    Hi Baz, yes the ones in .22 are rarer, l had the one that is in Dennis Hilliers book but l didn't know that until the chap who l sold to, told me the next time l met up with him.

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Demon

Hi Baz, I have a 177 rifle that looks like a Demon but has no markings other than a very fine cut " Made in England" on the top of the cylinder close to the trigger block. It has an unusual rear trigger guard screw that goes through the stock to a brass plate on the top of the stock. Is it a Demon, did the company not brand them with a name? I would be pleased for your advice. Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by corbett View Post
    Hi Baz, I have a 177 rifle that looks like a Demon but has no markings other than a very fine cut " Made in England" on the top of the cylinder close to the trigger block. It has an unusual rear trigger guard screw that goes through the stock to a brass plate on the top of the stock. Is it a Demon, did the company not brand them with a name? I would be pleased for your advice. Cheers Pete
    In Dennis Hillers book, he states that many were completely unmarked and some had Midland Gun Company stamped on top of the chamber. He also says the giveaway is the barrel is brazed on to the breach support block. Also the trigger guard screw goes right through the long stock bolt and must be removed before an attempt is made to remove the bolt. These rifles were reported to give higher muzzle velocities than their contemporaries. In 1925 sold for 30/- in .177 and 36/- in .22.

Baz

Baz
    Does yours have a removable metal plate as a butt pad? It might be worth taking that off and looking underneath. Ours is marked there

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Demon

Thank you Baz and Cooper-dan. I will give the butplate a try.