Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Supersport DS Strip / Observations.

BSA Supersport DS Strip / Observations.

So, I finally managed to get a little time to strip the Supersport today and have a look inside.

I already knew that it would need the cocking slide replacing, as you could see through the slot in the forend that the end of one of the side plates had broken off.

The rifle had been shooting very smoothly at 8.6ft.lbs with 14.5 grain Superdomes. Maybe a little more with other pellets? Cocking effort was very easy.

Once I had the stock off and peered through the cocking slot I was a little dismayed to see some of those dastardly square coils, announcing the presence of an OX / AirForce / whatever mainspring!

Hardly any preload made it very easy to release spring pressure....pulled the spring and guide out and the spring is broken and there are about 7 or 8 collapsed coils at the back end. Don't know if this is due down to a previous fettler collapsing them or fatigue. I didn't study it but just lobbed the offending item straight into the bin.

I couldn't get the sear to move out of the way to get the piston out, so removed the trigger and sear. This area was well gunged up anyway, warranting cleaning out. Apparently, much fun and games are to be had re-assembling the trigger? We'll see!

The piston seal looks absolutely fine. Not gone hard and no nicks or marks anywhere, so I'll re-use it.

The barrel detent spring is broken. Looking on Chambers, it says they're no longer available. Will see if I can obtain from Knibbs or Protek.

The main thing is that the cylinder and piston are perfectly fine, justifying continuing with the fettle.

Now, I worked on one of these many moons ago (1988) and really can't remember what the piston is like. I could just recollect those nasty rolled items in various other BSAs I had worked on years ago. Very well finished. And whoever has fettled it in the past has polished the rear bearing "bush".

Now, do I just get a standard mainspring? Does anyone have any recommendations? The end of the spring guide is a little rough and will have to be smoothed out. But, does the Tinny Bummed One make kits for these? Would a full Delrin item take the pounding reportedly sometimes dished out by these snarling little beasties? Should I use a weaker spring intended for a smaller model (like the Meteor), sleeve the piston but then maybe have to source a guide to fit? I'm thinking, maybe, run a standard spring and hope that the standard guide is a good fit, ask Tinners to do me a top hat and then, if there's the required clearance, fit a piston sleeve.

Oh yes, the washer section of the guide that acts as the spring bearing is a little gouged from the spring. So, if retaining that, I'll polish it out and then try and source another steel washer of the same size, so they can play happy spinning bearing games together.

Think that's about it for now. I just had time earlier to wipe some excess grease off most of the parts and all the little bits are sat in a bath of GT85 to de-gunk them.

Please feel free (especially anyone who has fettled these) to shout up with any observations / recommendations for springs / guides etc. And especially if you have a detent spring going spare!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Tony I reused my original spring and got Nick to run me up a couple of guides and power bands, much nicer now but as you don't have a spring, I'll have a look through my spring collection and see if any of them fit the original metal spring guide and you can have that and Nick can make you a guide set up to match that, I thought I had a Welsh Willy tuning kit for a SS but it didn't fit in the end (you could have had that otherwise), I may have a spare barrel latch spring somewhere in one of my spares boxes, leave it with me and I'll have a look in the shed during the week and if I've got one I'll send it to you (I can't see why they are not available anymore as considering they are used in god knows how many different BSA break barrels).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Wow!

Thanks, Pete.

If you do have a spring, that would be most excellent. Money is a bit tight right now, and if I got the spring, it'd be easier to justify / afford some of Nick's Delrin goodness.

Latch spring - again, thank you. However, if you do find one and before I accept it, we'll talk....Uncle Mick is also having a look for one. If he does have one he'll send it along with the cocking slide and I don't want to take advantage / take the pee. The BBS is such a wonderful place with so many generous and helpful people and the last thing I'd want to do is take the mickey!

The breech seal I was always going to replace. And I half expected to have to replace the piston seal. But it really does look good so I'm in two minds.....On the one hand you think, "Why replace if it's not required", and, on the other hand you sorta think that it may as well get replaced whilst she's in bits......

Thanks again, Pete and Mick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

There be no payment needed mate and you're not taking the piss, I'm sure you'd help me out if I needed a part and you had one kicking about, I have a new piston seal if you want it as well (and a breech seal if you need that also), I just remembered that the inside diameter of the spring is 14mm, if that helps (just in case you have any springs kicking about).

I'll have a look in the man cave tomoz and let you know what I find.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The piston needs to cock all the way back on these.
    An additional bearing at the rear will likely stop the sear engaging in the piston.Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post
    The piston needs to cock all the way back on these.
    An additional bearing at the rear will likely stop the sear engaging in the piston.Good Luck.
    Thank you for the tip.

I'll just polish the existing one up in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    There be no payment needed mate and you're not taking the piss, I'm sure you'd help me out if I needed a part and you had one kicking about, I have a new piston seal if you want it as well (and a breech seal if you need that also), I just remembered that the inside diameter of the spring is 14mm, if that helps (just in case you have any springs kicking about).

I'll have a look in the man cave tomoz and let you know what I find.

Pete
    Pete, you really are a star.

And, yes, I'd always be willing to help out if you, or any other nice BBS peeps, needed something that I could help them out with.

But seals are just taking it too far, mate. As I say, I fully expected to have to replace both seals and with the piston seal looking good I'm already on a winner there. And you will, no doubt, need them at some point in the future, so, no, I could not accept any further generosity in that department.

Again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Pete, you really are a star.

And, yes, I'd always be willing to help out if you, or any other nice BBS peeps, needed something that I could help them out with.

But seals are just taking it too far, mate. As I say, I fully expected to have to replace both seals and with the piston seal looking good I'm already on a winner there. And you will, no doubt, need them at some point in the future, so, no, I could not accept any further generosity in that department.

Again, thank you.
    Tony I've got both springs mate, let me know your address and I'll send it off.

I've PMed you as well.

Pete

Thank you, Pete.

You're a star.

Will look at pm now.

Mick - if you're looking in and haven't sent anything out already, don't worry over the detent spring. If you have already sent it I can either return it via post or bring it to The Bash.

Love you chaps xxx

Cocking linkage arrived from Uncle Mick today.

Breech seal and rear guard screw washer ordered.

All other parts out of their GT85 bath and cleaned / inspected / polished.

Once those springs arrive, Pete, maybe order up a top hat from The Tinster and we can build her up.

Thanks again Mick and Pete. What a pair of stars and shining examples of the community spirit and selflessness of the many kind BBS members.

Cocking linkage arrived from Uncle Mick today.

Breech seal and rear guard screw washer ordered.

All other parts out of their GT85 bath and cleaned / inspected / polished.

Once those springs arrive, Pete, maybe order up a top hat from The Tinster and we can build her up.

Thanks again Mick and Pete. What a pair of stars and shining examples of the community spirit and selflessness of the many kind BBS members.
    Why did you order a breech seal when I've got a couple of spare ones here that I could have chucked one in with the springs

Pete

Because, Pete, what you have done already has far surpassed expectations.

Plus you have quite a few break barrel BSAs there and you'll need 'em at some point.

Thank you once again,

Tone.

Pair of boingery things (little and large!) safely arrived today.

No time to play, unfortunately, but all looking really good.

Thank you, Pete.

And thanks again to Mick for the cocking slide.

Returned home from work today to find a lovely surprise parcel delivery.

A lovely, slippery new top hat, washers and Bumslide.

Thank you, Mr Bum.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Returned home from work today to find a lovely surprise parcel delivery.

A lovely, slippery new top hat, washers and Bumslide.

Thank you, Mr Bum.
    Not me, I'm in France. That was a Mr Underwood I believe.....
    God rest ye jelly mental men