Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSF Rifles what do you have?

aimless Guest
    I used the search with "bsf sale" : nothing....
    thx

IMHO this is not a "match"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Had a few but Kept one its a S70 !
    The best one is the S70 Delux as it has a lttle extra weight to keep the oversprung monster from bouncing around quite as much as the tiddler B55 that was the darling of AGW for a few years....

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    I used the search with "bsf sale" : nothing....
    thx

IMHO this is not a "match"
    Sorry. My mistake. I missed the 'match' bit.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

BSF Rifles what do you have?

I've just an old 70s that is very used condition with surprisingly unmarked stock, they're not as well made as some folk think. I've had to replace the piston after the spot welds failed causing an accidental discharge & the trigger blade as that snapped. Parts are like rocking horse poo to find & it only got fixed thanks to 2 kind members on here. It feels kind of like a german bsa supersport to shoot.(a good brum built one that is)
    Last edited by junglie; 17-01-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I've just an old 70s that is very used condition with surprisingly unmarked stock, thay're not as well made as some folk think. I've had to replace the piston after the spot welds failed causing an accidental discharge & the trigger blade as that snapped. Parts are like rocking horse poo to find & it only got fixed thanks to 2 kind members on here. It feels kind of like a german bsa supersport to shoot.(a good brum built one that is)

Not an unfair comparison. But then, I quite like Brum Supersports. .

I would happily (probably) get rid of my 55s in favour of a 70. For what I hope are obvious reasons.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Not an unfair comparison. But then, I quite like Brum Supersports. .

I would happily (probably) get rid of my 55s in favour of a 70. For what I hope are obvious reasons.
    Because it jumps like a Jack Russel that's been asleep and someone steps on its tail wearing steel boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Because it jumps like a Jack Russel that's been asleep and someone steps on its tail wearing steel boots?
    Yep. A 70 would be a slightly bigger dog, but only dozing, and you can lose the steel caps. Still a boingy dog, though. And it looks nicer. But still a boingy thing from before the makers realised that consistency and accuracy, rather than pure boingy-ness and dustbin penetration were what mattered.

I can think of no practical use to which the best answer is BSF. Just maybe barn gun for the 55, but lots and lots of competition there.

BSF utility/perormance, compared to the best contemporary and later springers: 5-7/10. BSF general coolness and pleasure of ownership and use: 7-9/10. If BSF had not gone suddenly bust but rather slowly got worse for years (Gamo-BSA?), we might be more objective. But, heck, facts, attitudes.

Bottom line. Important historically, well made, and I and other folk like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yep. A 70 would be a slightly bigger dog, but only dozing, and you can lose the steel caps. Still a boingy dog, though. And it looks nicer. But still a boingy thing from before the makers realised that consistency and accuracy, rather than pure boingy-ness and dustbin penetration were what mattered.

I can think of no practical use to which the best answer is BSF. Just maybe barn gun for the 55, but lots and lots of competition there.

BSF utility/perormance, compared to the best contemporary and later springers: 5-7/10. BSF general coolness and pleasure of ownership and use: 7-9/10. If BSF had not gone suddenly bust but rather slowly got worse for years (Gamo-BSA?), we might be more objective. But, heck, facts, attitudes.

Bottom line. Important historically, well made, and I and other folk like them.
    I can think of one use for them- to have a famed bsf in your collection! like the bsa supersport they are very satisfying when you master the correct hold & that weird trigger pull & actually hit what your aiming at! As for your last remark it's probably just as well they did go bust if the looks of the last model 80 were anything to go by, a little bit of sick came up there when I remembered what it looks like!

I can think of one use for them- to have a famed bsf in your collection! like the bsa supersport they are very satisfying when you master the correct hold & that weird trigger pull & actually hit what your aiming at! As for your last remark it's probably just as well they did go bust if the looks of the last model 80 were anything to go by, a little bit of sick came up there when I remembered what it looks like!
    I find it really interesting your view on the model 80. I've only looked at mine twice and never fired it. But my impressions are that of a very well made rifle, with a little different stock designed as a target rifle. Its certainly much bigger than the 55 and 70 models. I really like it, as in my eyes it looks and feels like a quality rifle. I think it would be a bland air rifle world if the 80 and models like it weren't around. Im chuffed to bits to have it. I wonder who else does.

The BSF 80 was a rifle ahead of it's time -- a bold claim !

But it used the proven action of the 55/60/70 series coupled with a new design of stock and a barrel weight.

These things and hamsters were being used by experimenters at the time in the early days of FT and HFT (mid 1980's)

If you look at the Venom Vantage stocks that followed the inspiration was there IMHO . (Venom had collaborated with Herr Gayer of BSF who rescued the company prior to 1984 demise and it's purchase by H Weihrauch)

Most FT / HFT stocks since then have more depth in front of the trigger guard / or a hamster to this day, compared with previous sporter stocks .

The R&D budget therefore must have been small despite trying to update proven designs to live with the HW80 which had swept all before it ( Not least because of the power it had which blew all others out of the park)

Before that only BSF's could well exceed 12 ft /Lbs with a tune and export spring.

FWB sports would just make 13 ftlb in .22 with MAG Hornets ( 5.5mm Wasps )

HTH

PS I have Eddie Barber's S54 Bayern in my collection

They one thing that has stopped me buying the very rare BSF80 that has come up for sale during the years Ive been collecting is the looks. IMO its on a par with the FWB Sport mark THREE. Hideous.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Ian

I never said they were pretty !

And I do agree that the FWB Mk3 muzzle brake is hideous , though the stock itself did have some minor handling improvements over the Mk1 and Mk2 but that is personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    I find it really interesting your view on the model 80. I've only looked at mine twice and never fired it. But my impressions are that of a very well made rifle, with a little different stock designed as a target rifle. Its certainly much bigger than the 55 and 70 models. I really like it, as in my eyes it looks and feels like a quality rifle. I think it would be a bland air rifle world if the 80 and models like it weren't around. Im chuffed to bits to have it. I wonder who else does.
    I'd be chuffed to get one too if it was cheap enough to turn over quick & put the profit towards something I actually wanted & would shoot, don't take it personally duggan but to quote another members siggy " having a vintage airgun & not shooting it is like not sleeping with your girlfreind to keep her nice & tidy for the next bloke" LOL!
    Last edited by junglie; 19-01-2018 at 12:25 AM.

I'd be chuffed to get one too if it was cheap enough to turn over quick & put the prfit towards something I actually wanted & would shoot, don't take it personally duggan but to quote another members siggy " having a vintage airgun & not shooting it is like not sleeping with your girlfreind to keep her nice & tidy for the next bloke" LOL!

If you are lucky enough to have a Harem that would make a Saudi Prince blush, then enjoy your favourites and keep some back for the next bloke, why not, Its good to swing both ways, as a user and a collector. I really get both and appreciate both mind sets, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    If you are lucky enough to have a Harem that would make a Saudi Prince blush, then enjoy your favourites and keep some back for the next bloke, why not, Its good to swing both ways, as a user and a collector. I really get both and appreciate both mind sets, LOL.

Oh and btw, if you have really beautiful girls in your Harem that set you on fire with desire. Maybe you could leave the little ugly one for the next bloke😃